Speculation follows Petterd to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I was suprised when checking that Cloke is only 22. But Thompson is 27 so not sure how much more potential he has. Already a good player anyway. Some of the GC posters think Thompson is heading North which wouldn't suprise me.

Scott Thompson of Adelaide? If so, I also love him. Aggresive, hard-running, attacking and a ball magnet. Disappointing how he wanted to leave the Dees, he's been great in the last three years. But I suppose we got Bate for him...

Would you hate him more than scott thompson?

Hate to say it, but I won't be too upset if he goes. As long as we get something back. He is a good player, but I don't think we will fall without him.

I hear this said a lot, but is there any reason why we would be compensated for losing any player? If the player is uncontracted, why would GC be under any obligation to offer anything? It might be in Petterd's hands somewhat, but if he was offered a juicy contract, would he really want to play hardball with GC to get Melbourne some compensation? He is a young player and without too much clout at the negotiation.

Not saying you guys are wrong about it, but it seems to me that compensation should not be counted on - or even expected. I just hope the loyalty of the group and prospects of being a great team will keep him here.

I hear this said a lot, but is there any reason why we would be compensated for losing any player? If the player is uncontracted, why would GC be under any obligation to offer anything? It might be in Petterd's hands somewhat, but if he was offered a juicy contract, would he really want to play hardball with GC to get Melbourne some compensation? He is a young player and without too much clout at the negotiation.

Not saying you guys are wrong about it, but it seems to me that compensation should not be counted on - or even expected. I just hope the loyalty of the group and prospects of being a great team will keep him here.
AFL works out compensation for teams (based on a yet to be determined formula) not GC/Melb. Otherwise yes the best uncontracted players from 1 particular club could all get up and leave, leaving the club at a significant disadvantage. So compensation it is expected, but not sure if we'd get any spectacular for Petterd regardless of what method they end up using.

And the fact that we saved his life. Fairly important, I reckon.

People need to get over the fact of dees saving his life. If that is a contributing factor it would amaze the hell out of me

People need to get over the fact of dees saving his life. If that is a contributing factor it would amaze the hell out of me

Agree with this. If you go to a hospital and have a life changing operation, you don't go and work for the hospital for the rest of your life.

AFL works out compensation for teams (based on a yet to be determined formula) not GC/Melb. Otherwise yes the best uncontracted players from 1 particular club could all get up and leave, leaving the club at a significant disadvantage. So compensation it is expected, but not sure if we'd get any spectacular for Petterd regardless of what method they end up using.

Ok, thanks for that - I wasn't aware of the drafting rules or the formula. I think I've been pretending GC doesn't exist ever since the idea came up! Can't do that for much longer...

I thought it was possible to lose your best players without compensation because people keep saying that Gary Ablett might wait until the end of the year to decide and leave Geelong with nothing. I also thought that's the reason why clubs are front-ending contracts to lock their players in. I guess one reason is that teams don't know how useful the compensation with be.

didnt scott thompson go back home to be closer to his brother who has an illness?

pretty sure this is the case. please correct me if im wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation follows Petterd to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back