Tertiary and Continuing Sports Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Tambling2Post

Debutant
Jul 21, 2009
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Im thinking about studying sports management at uni but have heard from a few people that its a bit of a waste of time and doesnt offer many employment opportunities...

any opinions?

hey man yer same im looking for a course aswell but probably go through tafe and try to get into Deakin, ive emailed some sporting agencies and they suggested i do another major with sportmanagement like marketing so you have more opportunities. Yer i've heard there arn't as many jobs out there so you should try build up your resume with voluntary work experience...

go to www.sportspeople.com.au - lots of really helpful info there and job listings, earnings, and crap

what uni you looking at btw?

If you are genuinely interested in sports management, make sure you mix in some economics and mathematics. People often laugh at the suggestion but you'll look a lot more employable if you've done more of that and less fluff subjects like marketing.

Sorry if that came out as being rude to some people but it's a harsh truth.

I am currently in year 11 what uni cource would be the best to help me become a player manager?

Sports Management of course would be best placed to become a 'player manager' but in reality you need to also do a course that will get you accredited by the AFL as a player manager, then find talent willing to sign with you rather then some of the bigger names.

As suggested earlier, don't just take subjects that sound like they will be fun or interesting, you need to have loads of maths, economics and accounting to improve prospects of being hired by a management firm, if there are around 150 people doing this course a year (and there are more) and say most of them want the same job as you, you'll need to make yourself stand out. Also you will need high grades in it, not just passes to firstly stand out and secondly so you can do you masters and a thesis to prove you really know the subject and industry.

Sports Management of course would be best placed to become a 'player manager' but in reality you need to also do a course that will get you accredited by the AFL as a player manager, then find talent willing to sign with you rather then some of the bigger names.

As suggested earlier, don't just take subjects that sound like they will be fun or interesting, you need to have loads of maths, economics and accounting to improve prospects of being hired by a management firm, if there are around 150 people doing this course a year (and there are more) and say most of them want the same job as you, you'll need to make yourself stand out. Also you will need high grades in it, not just passes to firstly stand out and secondly so you can do you masters and a thesis to prove you really know the subject and industry.

Thanks

I was doing a double major in sports management and marketing at curtin. I cracked in my 2nd unit of sports management it's such a boring course that doesn't really offer much and alot of students dropped it. Hard to get a job also. If you want to become a player manager I think you should do a double in sports management and commercial law. To be an afl player manager you have to get certififed by the AFLPA I think and you usually require some background in Law (not sure how some ex players are managers??).

I was doing a double major in sports management and marketing at curtin. I cracked in my 2nd unit of sports management it's such a boring course that doesn't really offer much and alot of students dropped it. Hard to get a job also. If you want to become a player manager I think you should do a double in sports management and commercial law. To be an afl player manager you have to get certififed by the AFLPA I think and you usually require some background in Law (not sure how some ex players are managers??).

Im also at Curtin and did sports management alongside accounting in 2009. The only thing I would say is you wouldnt wanna do sports management on its own... but I think Curtin is phasing it out I had to jump through hoops just to do it with accounting in 2010, not sure what the other uni's are doing.

The tutor at Curtin Uni for the Sports Law units is actually a player manager himself for some AFL players.

Like r dub, I did a double major sports mgt and marketing. I wish I did my other major is economics, finance etc because those are more attractive for employers.

But yes, the degree itself is good (and I found enjoyable) but it doesn't really improve you job prospects a lot. The big catch is experience - they want people with experience but won't give young peple a chance. They are more likely to choose someone who has been working in another industry for 5-10 years. You have to be prepared to do a lot of volunteer work in the industry to build up that experience.

I gave up after a few years and now I work in a totally different industry. While the degree is not as easy to obtain, it doesn't really help that much in getting employment. That sportspeople website is probably a good place to start.

Like r dub, I did a double major sports mgt and marketing. I wish I did my other major is economics, finance etc because those are more attractive for employers.

But yes, the degree itself is good (and I found enjoyable) but it doesn't really improve you job prospects a lot. The big catch is experience - they want people with experience but won't give young peple a chance. They are more likely to choose someone who has been working in another industry for 5-10 years. You have to be prepared to do a lot of volunteer work in the industry to build up that experience.

I gave up after a few years and now I work in a totally different industry. While the degree is not as easy to obtain, it doesn't really help that much in getting employment. That sportspeople website is probably a good place to start.

Have to agree here, been looking for jobs in sports for roughly 3-6 months making it my fulltime job really, networking, I've gone to a few conferences and landed a few interviews. I have practical experience working at the tennis and with a professional team, but that 1.5 years wasn't considered enough and they often want direct experience. I'm studying a Masters of Sprots Management and really enjoy it but god damn, it's nearly impossible to get a job in the industry.

When you think of the 2-300 people a year graduating in Victoria with the same undergrad degree, and there only ever being half that in jobs, then again half of those are never advertised and go to friends/people that are head-hunted its damn tough.

Rather than racking up a HECS debt of $10,000-$20,000 for 3-4 years of uni study, go and work somewhere as an AFL Sportsready trainee, earn shit pay for a few years and work your way up. You will be way better off for it in the long run.

Sports Management degrees are a waste of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a Bachelor of Sports Management and now work in Community Development at an AFL club, and as stated, it's all about the volunteer experience's you get during your studies. There is noway you can graduate and slot straight into a job. Most of the time the jobs go to people already in the industry (there's alot of poaching from other clubs). I worked with my current boss on a volunteer project about a year before I got my job, so you just need to get all the experience you can and hope you get some luck.

Rather than racking up a HECS debt of $10,000-$20,000 for 3-4 years of uni study, go and work somewhere as an AFL Sportsready trainee, earn shit pay for a few years and work your way up. You will be way better off for it in the long run.

Sports Management degrees are a waste of time.

I'm currently a business trainee at a reasonably high profile sporting organisation.
We deal with almost every aspect of sport from grass roots up to major sport.

It's not AFL SportsReady but it's the exact same thing just under a different training provider.

Does anyone know how these people go after their traineeships?
What are their options?
Are they suitable for other employers?

I have a 2 year contract to complete Cert IV in Business which is a very low qualification.
However when i finished school i didnt want know what i wanted to do so i just looked for a traineeship.

Now after about 18 months i feel like i'll need a university degree.
Probably just continue on with business as i'm not that concerned with staying in sport.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Would someone like me get a job over a uni grad in sports management?
(Obviously depending on the exact job)

Well if it is your dream job, then chase it and be willing to put in the hard yards cos hard work pays off. Tip: get as much qualifications, volunteer work and connections as you can while you're studying. Then an impressive resume will do wonders.

goodluck mate.

I am starting a sports management degree next year at Deakin in Melbourne.

I was always planning on doing plenty of volunteer work, but it seems i will need to do more than first thought.

Does anyone have positive things to say about this course?

Trotto, For the course at Deakin do you have any idea what the ATAR requirement is and what you can do it with(Accounting, Commercial law)?

I'm doing this course Atm and what ive found is that it is a hard industry to get into by speaking to others in the course. I've now ended up continuing my studies in sport management by doing my honours just to get an edge over other graduates and gain a greater knowledge for when i go into f/t work

I'm doing this course Atm and what ive found is that it is a hard industry to get into by speaking to others in the course. I've now ended up continuing my studies in sport management by doing my honours just to get an edge over other graduates and gain a greater knowledge for when i go into f/t work

alexx. I am an up and coming male netballer.

i am looking for representation

how would you manage my career?

unfortunately for you there are a number of better up and coming male netballers who are looking for representation, you're best off switching codes and trying your luck in lacrosse.

Trotto, For the course at Deakin do you have any idea what the ATAR requirement is and what you can do it with(Accounting, Commercial law)?

My little brother was keen on this course a couple of months back, but after talking to people that have done it.. there is no work out there!

Next year is the first year it is offered at deakin..they say in all the guides and stuff that it will be about an 80 maybe pushing 85, but you never really know with a new course. Somewhere around an 80

La trobe offer the same course which is about 70 to get into there... deakin is always a bit higher then la trobe... if that helps you!

In previous years it was a bachelor of commerce (sport management). Next year, for the first time, it is a bachelor of business (sport management). This is the new aspect of it. At Melbourne campus last year, an 82 ENTER was required per the course book, not sure what they ended up letting people in with. With it being a bachelor of business and not commerce now i imagine it'd be easier to get in?

I haven't looked into the LaTrobe course in ages so can't really remember, but i think with the changes to the Deakin course, it seems to me that it is going to be a lot more similar to the LaTrobe course.

For what it's worth, i think i am going to do commerce next year now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tertiary and Continuing Sports Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back