Sports that should be Olympic events

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree golf would be a great sport to include.

I also like Adam Gilchrist's vision of Twenty20 being included in the future. If we ever want the game to become global, the Olympics is our vehicle to promote the sport. People will come up with the excuses 'Cricket is a commonwealth sport', ill reply back all sports have to come from somewhere. (Handball is a mainly European dominated sport, Table Tennis Asian dominated sport) But at least we get to see these sports once every 4 years and have an idea of the rules, match play etc.

squash

i think golf should be too. people argue to qualify for an olympic sport it should be the sports number 1 competition, but this is not the case for tennis or soccer.

you can't argue against golf on the basis of profesionalism as the olympics is far removed from its amatuer ideals now. i read a stupid article in an irish paper today about tennis getting the boot on this basis but he forgot to mention that cycling, track and field, soccer, swimming and just about every sport in the games there are professional's (the only sport in the olympics i know which is amatuer's only is boxing. there may be others.)

agree with you about 20/20 cricket. would be a good addition and really bring the olympics to bangladesh and india which have nearly a quarter of the worlds population.

netball is probably not universally competitive enough - new zealand and australia are by far the two best teams (netball expert can correct me)

i also think the following sports should not be olympic sports on the basis of not being competitive enough:
table tennis should not be an olympic sport. the bias to the chinese is redicolous. 16 out of 20 table tennis gold medals have gone to china..
basketball - 12 out of 16 to the united states.

while baseball should be on the verge if cuba wins again which will make it 4 from 5 since inception into the games

ironically probably the next most one nation dominated sports are athletics and swimming (both by the US obviousbly) but they would never in a million years get the boot.

• Banned
Baseball is getting the boot as of these games. This is the last time the event will be held at the Olympics

20/20 cricket would be a great way to introduce cricket to the world. Get rid of equestrian and synchronized swimming.

Baseball is getting the boot as of these games. This is the last time the event will be held at the Olympics
As is badminton, unfortunately.

I think Golf would suffer the same way that Soccer and Tennis do, in that the main players wouldn't really be all that interested (at least I wouldn't think so), so it could become a very B-grade event.

20/20 cricket would be pretty cool, if the ICC could work the already packed International schedule around the Olympics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Golf would suffer the same way that Soccer and Tennis do, in that the main players wouldn't really be all that interested (at least I wouldn't think so), so it could become a very B-grade event.

the tennis tournaments this year are top class affiars. 16 of the top 19 men are in and 15 of the top 19 women are in.

the first time i can remember such a participation level from the top players.

netball is probably not universally competitive enough - new zealand and australia are by far the two best teams (netball expert can correct me)

You are right. England is up there as well but beyond them the quality is rubbish. In cricketing terms it would be like, Australia, India and South Africa along with Canada, Bermuda, Netherlands, Ireland etc.

Out: Football (Association).

Certainly not in its current form - ie. full match. Modify the rules, say 8 players for 30min halves (10/30). Watching football at the Olympics is like going to Michelin 3-star restaurant and ordering a steak 'n chips.

Golf - it'd have to be a teams event. Australia would be good at this :thumbsu:

Baseball/softball - pity to see it go. It's much more competitive than what cricket would be (except for softball). A few Asian and Central American countries would be pissed.

Western horse riding disciplines should definitely be included. The utilitarian part of horse riding.

Dragon boats.

Indoor cricket - it'd be like Euro handball and badminton. Lots of movement in a small area, would be great to watch. Entry costs would be small.

im pretty sure i heard people saying that poker should be in the olympics..terrible idea whoever thought of it..!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sports that should be Olympic events

Remove this Banner Ad

Back