Toast Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought Spurr would be up for trade for the right price... GWS and GC both need some mature bodies, and we surely could do worse that upgrading picks, swapping him for Lee, or playing a part in the mini-draft!

Have you actually watched a game for the last 3 months? Spurr wont be up for trade, he will be upgraded from the rookie list.

Spurr could feature in a multi-pronged trade with GC or Brisbane in our bid to increase our standing in draft/trade relations.

We take the risk on picking Lee, play him, increase his currency, get him a spot on an AFL senior list in his home state, we get a nice little draft sweetener. Too many potential outcomes, compensation could be anything. I think that is a sound way to play the rookie draft.

Its amazing how the daggers come out the moment the season finishes.
Hypothetical daggers, and you need to offer quality to receive quality Jezz (Did I really have to say that?). Besides, I'll be just as happy if the people offered up in these mock trades don't go anywhere. That said it's a market bud, not an Op Shop.

Spurr was very good on Friday night. I was hoping that they would chuck him into the centre for 5 minutes to see if his competitiveness could swing the momentum back towards freo. The boy just loves to win and will play whatever role is given to him. He is just as capable in the middle and forward but his coaches love his defensive dedication so he gets stuck in the back lines to much. I haven't watched the tape of the game but his ball use under pressure looked to be very good. He had a limited pre-season and a full pre-season could see him really jump up the ratings.

Other than a few unnecessary risks and a few misjudgements Spurr is probably good enough already. I guess the room for improvement you are talking about for Ibbo will make him more appealing to other clubs. I have a feeling if he doesn't go it might be Broughton (who if you believe rumours is not a coach favourite), especially as Deboer isn't really holding his own consistently as a midfielder and will probably be returned to the forward line or Claremont next year if he doesn't lift a little. We have Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Neale, Morabito, hopefully Michie to come in the team and whoever else we recruit or trade for. No point hoarding if we can improve the team with a trade.
Cant believe you could say that about DeBoer.He has been consistent in the midfield and things certainly changed for the better when he went in there.He has shown massive improvement this year.Spurr also has that bit of mongrel in him like DeBoer which we have not had for a number of years.I rate both of them highly------add in an improved Lachie Neale and we will be flying

Cant believe you could say that about DeBoer.He has been consistent in the midfield and things certainly changed for the better when he went in there.He has shown massive improvement this year.Spurr also has that bit of mongrel in him like DeBoer which we have not had for a number of years.I rate both of them highly------add in an improved Lachie Neale and we will be flying
But that's the thing, you add Neale, Broughton, Morabito, Mellington, Crozier someone has to drop out. Who is it? Pearce and Mzungu? Spurr? Ibbotoson? Who else you got?

An important part of the defensive structure... runs really hard to the next space he needs to be in, and that puts pressure on the fella disposing of the ball. He also started kicking quite a few goals towards the end of the season, and set up quite a few as well.

If pressure starts mounting in the midfield, I see Clancee and De Boer being the ones that'll be going head to head for a spot... but that assumes that guys like Mellington/Neale/Crozier are pushing De Boer out of the forward line. De Boer is also our only back up for Crowley.

That said, it's possible he'll get some WAFL time next year if the team is overflowing with players in form, which would require at least a few of the young blokes to be playing really well. But there are still quite a few spots to be filled by other guys before he gets dropped. Agree with what others have said also... despite the fact that some other guys may have more talent, he sets a very important example to others in the team of what is required. Every game.

But that's the thing, you add Neale, Broughton, Morabito, Mellington, Crozier someone has to drop out. Who is it? Pearce and Mzungu? Spurr? Ibbotoson? Who else you got?

Why would you be adding Neale, Mellington, Crozier and Morabito (won't be coming back for a while)? De Boer is a gun, absolutely love the guy. Heart and soul type player. Will play the next 200 games for Freo barring injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think having Spurr means that either Suban, Ibbo or Duff really need to make a midfield role their own or trade them. Not sure why Ibbo hasn't stepped up for the midfielder - good size, good runner, decent kick - I reckon he could be a Simon Black type if he put it together.

Anyway, my ideal small backs include Broughton, so someones going to get squeezed out.

The one who drops out is the one who's deemed the softest - Ibbotson.

Yawn. Do you honestly think he would get a game if we had a Fyfe or Morabito waiting in the wings. You play a guy like Deboer to fill a role until and if someone better comes along. Of course if he becomes a very good player who can do more than tackle then it is not quite so much of an issue. And the chances are at his age he will improve. He was better this year than last.

When Mora is ready to return to action in the midfield, I would say Deboer would go straight to HFF .
Deboer is an excellent mark and gives us that great defensive forward presence .
I think his competition for a defensive forward role would be Mello but we could place both of them in the same side.

I would envisage Morabito playing half forward flank if he returns next year, before going to the midfield, therefore Deboer will stay onball. The only wildcard to that is Nick Lower.

When Mora is ready to return to action in the midfield, I would say Deboer would go straight to HFF .
Deboer is an excellent mark and gives us that great defensive forward presence .
I think his competition for a defensive forward role would be Mello but we could place both of them in the same side.

I would envisage Morabito playing half forward flank if he returns next year, before going to the midfield, therefore Deboer will stay onball. The only wildcard to that is Nick Lower.
I can also see de boer taking McPhee's role. They are the same height iirc and have similar attributes.

I think having Spurr means that either Suban, Ibbo or Duff really need to make a midfield role their own or trade them. Not sure why Ibbo hasn't stepped up for the midfielder - good size, good runner, decent kick - I reckon he could be a Simon Black type if he put it together.

Anyway, my ideal small backs include Broughton, so someones going to get squeezed out.

Gee, underselling Simon Black a bit.

I rate Ibbo more than most on this board, but watch some vision of Black's decision making in the contest and then watch Ibbo. Their footballing brains are miles apart. Ibbo has all the physical tools he just lacks the awareness to really be that effective in the clinches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back