Moved Thread St Kilda 2023 vs St Kilda 2009

Which Saints team/era is better

• 2008/2009/2010 team

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • Current team

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 04 team had loads of talent with guys like Harvey, Jones, Gehrig, Clark, and Hamil that were not there in 09

It wasn't hardened yet though and I'm not sure just dropping Ross into the driver's seat would have made them such.

Guys like Hamill, Harvey, Jones were at the end of their careers. Harvey was still playing good footy but he was more like Selwood last year in terms of output. Hardly the player he was 4-5 years earlier.

And I presume you are talking about Xavier Clarke?
He wasn't anything special at all. A good role player but nothing more.

Just on Hamill, he was one of my favourite players. Incredibly courageous. Never quite lived upto the hype when he went across to the Saints but pound for pound, one of the toughest ever.

Guys like Hamill, Harvey, Jones were at the end of their careers. Harvey was still playing good footy but he was more like Selwood last year in terms of output. Hardly the player he was 4-5 years earlier.

And I presume you are talking about Xavier Clarke?
He wasn't anything special at all. A good role player but nothing more.

Just on Hamill, he was one of my favourite players. Incredibly courageous. Never quite lived upto the hype when he went across to the Saints but pound for pound, one of the toughest ever.

Aussie was an all-Australian in 2004, Harvey was BOG in a final in 2004 and still playing at an amazing level.

Xavier Clarke is much better than you are giving him credit for. Maybe you are thinking of Raph Clarke the guy Max Rooke mowed down from behind in the opening minutes of the 09 GF?

Xavier was special but he never reached the amazing heights he could have because he was one of the most injury-plagued players ever to pull on the red, white, and black and was forced into early retirement.

You may have been a keen observer but we lived that era as fans so probably more qualified to talk about the players of the time.

Last edited:

You didn't even spell their surnames properly!

And yes, I do remember Xavier. He was nothing special whatsoever!

Really? Spelling police.

It's never been my strong point but thanks I've corrected it.

X was very talented but like I said injuries really got in the way of his career ever taking off.

Cats, Hawks, and Tigers all had this invincible aura during their time. The Saints were the same in 2009. It’s a bit like Port in 2014, but on steroids — the best side to never win a premiership, IMO (2009 Saints that is, not Port 2014 — sorry Port).

I mean, the Saints only lost three games for the whole year (including finals and the GF). The Cats and them met late in the home-and-away season, both teams hadn’t lost a single game, and the Saints walked away from that game winners. Then went on to win a bunch more games in a row. Just couldn’t be stopped. Couldn’t lose. And absolutely thrashed teams, too. When they did lose (again, only three times), they lost by small margins. Never ever genuinely smacked. Biggest loss they had for the whole year was GF day against the Cats. Evenly matched for the whole game until the last five minutes; absurdly close game. Was never a sure thing for the Cats, either —at one point the Saints managed three goals in less than a minute—inaccurate goal-kicking really hurt the Saints on the day. Schneider had a mare and Reiwoldt was spanked by Harry Taylor by memory.

Saints losing 2009 was a lot like the Cats losing 2008. Errant goal-kicking was the Cats big issue in the 2008 GF, too. Mooney had an absolute mare and couldn’t hit the side of a barn. Same deal with the Hawks losing in 2012. Or that time the Tigers got bungled out of Finals by Mason Cox. Basically, the best team for the year (clearly) dropped their bundle at the worse time. And the underdog stepped up.

Anyway, point is: Saints 2009 > Saints 2023… easily

Hayes was captain in 04 and Riewoldt won the AFL MVP that year so other than Goddard who had only been on the list 2 years I don’t agree that they were too young.

I agree that the 09 team would beat the 04 team based on who was coaching each at the time but the talent in the 04 team surpasses the 09 team we were just way more drilled and had actual structures in 09.
Reckon riewoldts best year was 09, and so was Hayes in 09 even tho they were obviously good in 04 especially riewoldt. You were a lot like geelong in 04, we had an incredibly talented group of kids and some good older players and as a result both st kilda and geelong made a prelim, but both teams were several years off those elite young kids hitting their straps and turning into that real dominant elite side.

Your defensive six was pretty ordinary in 04 if there is a particular criticism as well. No where near the Brisbane sides caliber

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread St Kilda 2023 vs St Kilda 2009

Back