St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

The intellect here of some Lions and Hawks fans as they respectively gear up to get Ashcroft at pick 1 with peanuts, and continue the long tradition of stealing Saints talent. Classism at its best. View attachment 2132731
Your club literally lowballed peanuts for Billy Longer and couldn't have given one squat at our demise.

Swings and roundabouts, figure out how to fix your club without whinging.

ahh you don't have to travel, its literally a few kms down the road, its your HOME ground in finals or whenever it suits your financial agenda, go and ask Fagan the massive difference it is for interstate teams to play in grand finals logistically vs Melbourne teams

so it wasn't an issue playing against Sydney in the GF?
It wasn't a burden for your opponents playing 2 finals in Brisbane?
its only an issue when a non-vic team has to travel?

it's not out HOME anything.

so it wasn't an issue playing against Sydney in the GF?
It wasn't a burden for your opponents playing 2 finals in Brisbane?
its only an issue when a non-vic team has to travel?

it's not out HOME anything.
it is your HOME ground, why did you play Collingwood at the mcg, and the relevance of Brisbane vs Sydney grand final???? wtf of course its not advantageous or disadvantageous you absolute idiot however if we played st Kilda 1 team would have to travel and stay in hotels etc etc and 1 team wouldn't, but clearly you can't understand this

it is your HOME ground, why did you play Collingwood at the mcg, and the relevance of Brisbane vs Sydney grand final???? wtf of course its not advantageous or disadvantageous you absolute idiot however if we played st Kilda 1 team would have to travel and stay in hotels etc etc and 1 team wouldn't, but clearly you can't understand this
Pack it up fellas. Getting one home game at the MCG, playing 6 in total in the home and away season, the exact same amount as Brisbane has played there, means we have an advantage.

Pack it up fellas. Getting one home game at the MCG, playing 6 in total in the home and away season, the exact same amount as Brisbane has played there, means we have an advantage.
you live there and don't have to travel! you're club also want more HOME games at the mcg wtf are you on about

its a home game when it suits your agenda but not for grand final yeah sounds about right

its not our home ground at all, yes we PAID to play at the MCG vs an MCG tenant, but it's not our home ground

Saints’ $100k sacrifice to bring Spud’s Game to masses​

St Kilda has taken a $100,000 hit to move this year’s Spud’s Game from Marvel Stadium to the MCG with projections of a crowd far greater than the Docklands venue’s capacity.

its our HOME ground!!!!!!!! woohooo

ps, if you have to start name calling then you've kinda lost

so your club does not want more home games at the mcg? am I making this up???
Maybe you need it in caps to understand.

ST KILDA HAS NO ADVANTAGE OVER TEAMS LIKE BRISBANE WHEN PLAYING AT THE MCG. EACH TEAM HAS EQUAL EXPERIENCE PLAYING THERE. IF YOU COUNT FINALS, BRISBANE HAS MORE EXPERIENCE PLAYING AT THE MCG. THEY WOULD HAVE MORE OF AN ADVANTAGE AT THE GROUND.

I wasn’t aware that the St Kilda board is made up of such intellectuals. The clubhouse leader is the guy that started referring to our salary cap concessions in response to the 2013 player exodus!

so your club does not want more home games at the mcg? am I making this up???
does wanting make it so?

fact is, if, and I highly doubt it happens, but if we get 3 or more there, then I'd be happy to call it a home ground, but we don't, haven't, and likely will not

and even our proposal has us giving up something to make the shift, which again I highly doubt happens

ask yourself, why do we want to do this. I'll give you a hint, more money earned from 1 game at the MCG than a year at Docklands. the "draft better, be better" chant doesn't happen if you can't hire the right people or compete on staff wages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

does wanting make it so?

fact is, if, and I highly doubt it happens, but if we get 3 or more there, then I'd be happy to call it a home ground, but we don't, haven't, and likely will not

and even our proposal has us giving up something to make the shift, which again I highly doubt happens

ask yourself, why do we want to do this. I'll give you a hint, more money earned from 1 game at the MCG than a year at Docklands. the "draft better, be better" chant doesn't happen if you can't hire the right people or compete on staff wages.
so what youre saying is your clubs proposal to have more home games at the mcg will be a home ground if it happens but then wont be an advantage having the grand final there also, is that what you are telling me???

I wasn’t aware that the St Kilda board is made up of such intellectuals. The clubhouse leader is the guy that started referring to our salary cap concessions in response to the 2013 player exodus!
Still never answered the question... wonder why that is... you worried about diving deeper into that?

so what youre saying is your clubs proposal to have more home games at the mcg will be a home ground if it happens but then wont be an advantage having the grand final there also, is that what you are telling me???
You're arguing a home ground avdntage for a ****in ground that isn't even st kildas home ground.

Still never answered the question... wonder why that is... you worried about diving deeper into that?

Hey it’s the salary cap concession guy! No we didn’t have salary cap concessions in 2013, I’ve already said that

YOU LIVE THERE! there is many ways you can have an advantage not having to travel 2000km would be one of them

but but but its not our home ground wah ****ing wah
He lives at the MCG?

Lucky bastard.

im not really, im merely saying it is an advantage, is it more of an advantage than Richmond/collingwood obviously not
Yeah mate I agree, it's kind of bullshit that the GF is always played at the MCG. There's reasons for it which I understand, but it's not really fair especially if a higher ranked interstate side has to play against an MCG tenant. In the same way, it's kind of bullshit that Docklands tenants can't play finals at their home ground, and Geelong can't play finals at Kardinia Park.

If the Saints play an interstate side in the GF, of course there is some level of advantage in terms of not having to travel. We pay for that by essentially never playing a genuine home final at our real home ground. This slight advantage would also only come into effect if we make a Grand Final. How do you make a Grand Final? By being good. It's really easy to be good and stay good when you get the best player in the draft for free as reigning premiers.

Would Chelsea have an advantage playing against Man City in a cup final at Wembley because it's in London? This is essentially what you're arguing.

To justify the F/S academy concessions by saying that we might have a slight advantage on Grand Final day is just so disingenuous.

YOU LIVE THERE! there is many ways you can have an advantage not having to travel 2000km would be one of them

but but but its not our home ground wah ****ing wah
not 1 person is arguing travel apart from yourself

but to suggest we live there?
we play there less than you do

but you're suggesting that you'd have a HGA playing at Metricon because it's in Qld.

Yeah mate I agree, it's kind of bullshit that the GF is always played at the MCG. There's reasons for it which I understand, but it's not really fair especially if a higher ranked interstate side has to play against an MCG tenant. In the same way, it's kind of bullshit that Docklands tenants can't play finals at their home ground, and Geelong can't play finals at Kardinia Park.
Case in point - the Dogs this year playing a 'home' final at their opponents home ground and a ground they hadn't played at since rd9.

It might be a slight advantage for Marvel tenants to play the GF at the MCG against an interstate club but it is also harder for us to make the GF given we don't get home finals like everyone else does.

not 1 person is arguing travel apart from yourself

but to suggest we live there?
we play there less than you do

but you're suggesting that you'd have a HGA playing at Metricon because it's in Qld.
this "home ground advantage" is non sense its not the ground its everything that goes along with that
and yes if we had to play a game at Metricon over travelling to the mcg that would be more advantageous, this was almost a reality if the Gabba got knocked down

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back