St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of ironic that 4th post in is a Saints supporter saying "screw em" to the Lions being on their knees. How the tables have turned?
Post #10 is a cracker

My god there are some dumb campaigners on here

You will all be screaming blue murder once the 3 Riewoldt boys come through
Utterly shivering my timbers at the prospect of St Kilda peaking at 8th place/Elim final exit with the Riewoldt boys

Old Fred Basset didn't mention the NGAs. Wonder why. Oh, the mighty Sainters are benefiting from that one.

You absolute goose .....Owens got picked at an early 30s pick .... Windhager was chosen in the mid 40s

He is talking about F-S and Academy kids that get picked in the top 10 and clubs paying diddly squat for them ... as well as getting a discount

You absolute goose .....Owens got picked at an early 30s pick .... Windhager was chosen in the mid 40s

He is talking about F-S and Academy kids that get picked in the top 10 and clubs paying diddly squat for them ... as well as getting a discount

Why don't we cut to the chase, how many priority picks do the Saints want?

So you had some average NGA talent. If Windhager was actually good he'd have been bid on Pick 2? So what's the difference exactly?

Whatever equates to the free ride leg up Brisbane continually get

I actually like St Kilda and their supporters, if I were the CEO I'd grant it.

Serious question. Where was this uproar led by the Western Bulldogs? First I've heard of it and happy to be proven wrong.

I won't be proving you wrong, I'm sure it can be found somewhere, I'm just not going to bothered finding it, I haven't just conjured it up. Eade led the charge from memory.

Does it really matter? All it did was change the f/s to what we. Currently have.

Maybe with pick 11 Eade thought they missed out on someone because of Hawkins and Josh Kennedy being taken as f/s selections in the 40s. They took Andrejis Everett with the pick.

In 2010 you took Wallis with pick 22 and Libna with 41. Overs for Wallis and a steal for Libna, that's the luck of the draw. Geelong have had a lost more bust f/s than not.

You can, but many won't take you seriously and will point to all of these other things that are maybe the reason why the Saints aren't going so well. I mean you just told one of your players not to attend the B&F, that speaks to a rubbish culture. And putting it on the agenda as a key issue in the president's address of a B&F is important context as well.

As the Lions well know a good culture both on field & off makes a huge difference. Has made more difference to us winning the flag as without that positive culture we don't bring in Daniher, Neale, Cameron & Dunkley to name a few. The Saints clearly have a highly toxic culture from top to bottom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m trying to understand his wealthy clubs statement. Is he talking about attracting players from other clubs? Or is it to do with father/son/daughter?

To me father/son is actually a fair scenario given the same rules are applicable to all clubs. Am I missing something here? Isn’t it just bad luck that the Saints don’t have any?

But he wasn't you goose ... and if he was then we pay a fair price ... its not rocket science Toffee Brain
You can't just run around calling people a goose, when you're the biggest goose going around.

Grow up.

This is not really accurate though.

Say Sydney had pick 15 and needed points for a player at pick 7.

Sydney could trade pick 15 for picks 29 and 32.

Then trade pick 29 for pick 38 and 40, and then trade 32 for 43 and 47.

So Sydney would use pick 38, 40, 43 and 47 to get the player at pick 7 but ultimately we paid the pick 15 as that is the intial pick we had before we started trading downwards.

Same thing will happen this year as Levi will cost the Lions their 1st rounder. Not ideal as we'd like to keep our 1st rounder but sadly that's the way the system works.

So you had some average NGA talent. If Windhager was actually good he'd have been bid on Pick 2? So what's the difference exactly?
St Kilda did have an elite talent (Cam McKenzie) as part of the NGA, except they weren't able to bid on it because top 20 picks were protected. Yet in that same draft Lions were able to bid on Ashcroft at pick 2 for a bunch of pointless 3rd round picks.

I’m trying to understand his wealthy clubs statement. Is he talking about attracting players from other clubs? Or is it to do with father/son/daughter?

To me father/son is actually a fair scenario given the same rules are applicable to all clubs. Am I missing something here? Isn’t it just bad luck that the Saints don’t have any?
yeah I don't get what he's on about with the wealthy clubs, takes away from his point about how broken the draft system is.

All of the above. In essence he is bemoaning the fact that St Kilda are one of the smallest clubs in a saturated market and so none of the rules like FA etc benefit them and they can't get anyone of note to come to St Kilda. And instead of delving into a plan of how to get out of the cycle he laments their poor drafting and the unfairness of academies, telling anecdotes about going up to AFL Commissioner's at the AFL GF.

All of the above. In essence he is bemoaning the fact that St Kilda are one of the smallest clubs in a saturated market and so none of the rules like FA etc benefit them and they can't get anyone of note to come to St Kilda. And instead of delving into a plan of how to get out of the cycle he laments their poor drafting and the unfairness of academies, telling anecdotes about going up to AFL Commissioner's at the AFL GF.

Pretty sure his plan is to reform the F/S and Academy systems and he has been saying it since the start of the year.

Pretty sure his plan is to reform the F/S and Academy systems and he has been saying it since the start of the year.

Its getting changed next year, which he knows.

Would love to see it abolished along with no priority picks and any other type of draft compromising carp.
Make the draft 100% fair, you finish last you get the 1st pick, you finish 18th you get that...no more, no less.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back