St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Dunkley was bid on by the Bulldogs with pick 25 and the Swans refused to match as "he wasn't worth it" and it was felt that his kicking skills needed improvement = THEIR LOSS

Obviously you have nothing on the subject and clearly deep down know Bassett is correct .... thanks for confirming :thumbsu:
No, your president is a joke for his amateur speech. Keep hiring these people though and complain that your club goes nowhere.

So the 20% discount is getting totally removed next year ?.
Being reduced to 10%. God knows why they don't just scrap it entirely. It's not enough that clubs (including my own in recent years) get access to players they wouldn't otherwise have, with the discount they also get them delivered with a nice bow on top.

IMO academies are far worse and actually discriminate from club to club. They are designed and guaranteed to cultivate high-quality talent that get sent straight to Northern clubs with no competition.

I think that's fine from a strategic perspective because I think it's important to grow the game further in NSW and Qld, and they much more rarely have go-home-factor in their favour, but I'd limit it. No, they shouldn't count if their parent was an AFL player. No, they shouldn't count if they come to Melbourne for school and play in the U18s.

Being reduced to 10%. God knows why they don't just scrap it entirely. It's not enough that clubs (including my own in recent years) get access to players they wouldn't otherwise have, with the discount they also get them delivered with a nice bow on top.

Agreed.

I don’t mind clubs getting exclusive access to F/S and Academy prospects but make them pay full price. Why do you still get a heckin'g 10% point discount ?!.

Yes, my own club included.

Josh Dunkley was bid on by the Bulldogs with pick 25 and the Swans refused to match as "he wasn't worth it" and it was felt that his kicking skills needed improvement = THEIR LOSS
AFL.com.au article from the time says that the Swans had an agreement with Josh that they would only take him if he was bid on by a non-Victorian club, as he wanted to stay in Victoria. I think there's some "he said she said" there but I'm not sure it's as simple as the Swans not wanting Josh.

Completely agree with this. The discount makes no sense: as you say, the option of matching is benefit enough. I actually think a fee makes more sense than a discount. This would incentivise clubs to use their existing drafting picks on academy/father-sons rather than waiting to match.

AFL.com.au article from the time says that the Swans had an agreement with Josh that they would only take him if he was bid on by a non-Victorian club, as he wanted to stay in Victoria. I think there's some "he said she said" there but I'm not sure it's as simple as the Swans not wanting Josh.
Yeah, I remember reading that. It's not surprising that hearsay is all we have to go on: if it's true i assume it amounts to draft tampering.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of the above. In essence he is bemoaning the fact that St Kilda are one of the smallest clubs in a saturated market and so none of the rules like FA etc benefit them and they can't get anyone of note to come to St Kilda. And instead of delving into a plan of how to get out of the cycle he laments their poor drafting and the unfairness of academies, telling anecdotes about going up to AFL Commissioner's at the AFL GF.
Everyone knows the draft, fixture, pretty much everything is compromised.

Like others have said, I still don't get his point about the wealthy clubs benefiting.

WC are super wealthy.
Got the spoon last year and their 2nd pick was 30.

Tell me how that works.

Long time saints fan here. Basset is WRONG . Saints drafted Mitch Owen’s and windhager and Peris (who we delisted after 1 season). We literally have a father son in this years draft elwood peckett. So if Bassett was true on his word. He wont draft Elwood because “everyone deserves a fair chance”. But no we will draft him. I hate this argument about but he’s talking about 1st round picks. You don’t know how good a kid will be.yes Mitch Owens went in the 2 round but you don’t know gold coast or north wanted to pick him or not. Teams have had there fair chance of father sons they may be at an advantage but its not about fairness. Eg Jackson archer for north Melbourne 51st pick. Jake waterman 77 pick for west coast. Zaine Cordy pick 62. Jase Burgoyne pick 60. Calshear Dear pick 56.

Father son is the best rule in the AFL, I love watching young West, Darcy, Liberatore etc.

That said, we gotta pay fair prices. Reforming the price clubs pay to match bids should encourage them to do so, but not obviously advantage them.

Getting Jamarra was a rort, the best talent should be available to all. I'm not thrilled with the NGA changes made. The first round should be excluded.

A few tweaks to the existing system can make it fairer while retaining some of the great things about the game.

Imagine a Giants or Swans or Gold Coast list management meeting.How long would they spend discussing who to target as a go home player to Sydney or Queensland?.Didly squat.Compare that to Freo, Adelaide or Geelong over the years..Last time i checked there were about 55 return home players of on traditional states lists.Would Cats have won the 22 premiership without Cameron Dangerfield ,Rohan returning home and with father sons in Hawkins etc which (Suns and Giants arent even old enough to produce yet).Carlton -Holland's,Docherty,Newman Saad.Collingwood Mitchell, Schulz.Hoskin, and Elliot.Father sons Daicos boys and Moore etc and NGA pick Quaynor even Priority pick Pendlebury.Go through every tradional footy state list .It's all pretty similar..

Compare that to Swans.In there 42 year history Swans have had 1 go home player.Nick Davis..Giants at a stretch could say Davis kind of returned home to Canberra .Suns have Weller who they had to pay way overs for pick 2 as they were so excited to get a go home player.

Whats has turned Brisbane around is Cameron was kind of go home player as had family connections in Queensland(like Bobby hill) and a Victorian actually requested a Brissy trade -Daniher as did a SA guy in Neale as well as father sons and Academy.They actually covered all areas of recruiting which is credit to them as well as seizing on advantages academies have given them in regards to Harris and Hipwood.

Imagine a Giants or Swans or Gold Coast list management meeting.How long would they spend discussing who to target as a go home player to Sydney or Queensland?.Didly squat.Compare that to Freo, Adelaide or Geelong over the years..Last time i checked there were about 55 return home players of on traditional states lists.Would Cats have won the 22 premiership without Cameron Dangerfield ,Rohan returning home and with father sons in Hawkins etc which (Suns and Giants arent even old enough to produce yet).Carlton -Holland's,Docherty,Newman Saad.Collingwood Mitchell, Schulz.Hoskin, and Elliot.Father sons Daicos boys and Moore etc and NGA pick Quaynor even Priority pick Pendlebury.Go through every tradional footy state list .It's all pretty similar..

Compare that to Swans.In there 42 year history Swans have had 1 go home player.Nick Davis..Giants at a stretch could say Davis kind of returned home to Canberra .Suns have Weller who they had to pay way overs for pick 2 as they were so excited to get a go home player.

Whats has turned Brisbane around is Cameron was kind of go home player as had family connections in Queensland(like Bobby hill) and a Victorian actually requested a Brissy trade -Daniher as did a SA guy in Neale as well as father sons and Academy.They actually covered all areas of recruiting which is credit to them as well as seizing on advantages academies have given them in regards to Harris and Hipwood.

Yes, St Kilda's upset is with being the smallest club in a saturated market and that they don't get the same VFL advantages that the big VFL clubs get. They just don't want to say that bit out loud.

Drafted Jake waterman through father son
Yeo,Kelly,Cripps are all go home players.Jetta was and even though u lost Judd to go home factor it helps u could say to Kennedy come home..As I said Swans in there 42 year history have had 1 go home player.Giants haven't really had one yet.Thats why academies are important until we start getting players requesting a go home trade

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back