St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

This is it in a nutshell !!

St.Blunda have been a cellar dweller club for all of its existence, they make mistake after mistake after mistake but lo & behold, its always someone elses fault.

Pointing the finger at the F/S rule because their players are all having daughters is utterly absurd, may as well ring up god and see if he can fix that for them.

They are always first in the queue for the welfare handouts, have no success to talk about and are perenially run by complete nuff-nuffs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, its time the AFL shuffled this rabble off to another state permanently. Give them some draft assistance & a bit of COLA for doing so and then leave them to their own devices.

If they blow all of the welfare assistance given to them and find themselves back in the spiral of diminishing returns again, then just wind them up for good.

They are a blight on the competition and always have been to such an extent that non-Saints fans are growing extremnely sick & tired of these annual sook-up woe-is-me's.
Nuffin like a dumb Carlton fan completely missing the point …again ….
Stick to ..”wooooofin” those 30 metre chip kicks from Saad

It shouldn’t be way to get a generational talent like Naicos
The point isn’t about making it easy
It’s about making it fair for all clubs

If the Lions had finished last, this conversation doesn't happen.

So the issue IS NOT about the F/S selection and that player's talent and potential, it is about the fact we just won the flag......

And we won the flag because of all the work we started to do in 2016, which took 8 years to bear fruit.

It's really very simple - don't hide behind this "fairness" rubbish, because it is a fallacy you champion to satisfy and buttress the timeless litanies of failure that consign St Kilda to the shitheap.

So the issue IS NOT about the F/S selection and that player's talent and potential, it is about the fact we just won the flag......

And we won the flag because of all the work we started to do in 2016, which took 8 years to bear fruit.

It's really very simple - don't hide behind this "fairness" rubbish, because it is a fallacy you champion to satisfy and buttress the timeless litanies of failure that consign St Kilda to the shitheap.
Its because two of the last Grand final winners have won just recently after drafting a highly touted father son while you were stacked teams, you havent noticed the last two grand finals have been father son fairytales? do you think Ashcroft would have made a difference for brisbane in last years grand final? your acting like drafting these F/S and academy players is some big skill that only some teams have while ignoring any success that comes with them.

Even if your president feels stridently about the issue, commenting about it publicly at the B&F is complete madness. At best it will divide opinion about validity, at worst it will be interpreted as a whinge.
This isn't the first time he's brought it up though.

Father/Son picks have nothing to do with their repeat failures.
Question....

If Father-Sons are so inconsequential and irrelevant to a teams success - why do clubs want them?

Is it just for the joy of it?

And if it is, why do they just want the good Father-Sons, and not the hopeless ones?

Surely the joy would be the same?

your totally right, its just an attitude problem. not fairness or fixture issue. Once we have the right attitude the cheap F/S and preferential fixturing will come our way. it's gonna be glorious when we have such a good attitude that they stop sending us to Kardinia park :D
There it goes again. From the top to the supporter base.

Not what I said. I've said further up that the points are correct, but that no one takes them seriously because they're a mess.
So now they’re good points but saints just suck ?
Think the prez said we have sucked historically
Why don’t you just say “ hate saints and want to keep my ridiculous cheap no 1 decay pick “
Just own it ffs

Collingwood
Finlay Macrae over Max Holmes
Jaidyn Stephenson over Aaron Naughton
Matt Scharenberg over Christian Salem
Nathan Freeman over Dom Sheed/Patrick Cripps

BUT

They get Nick Daicos, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor for free so it doesn't matter and they win a flag

So now they’re good points but saints just suck ?
Think the prez said we have sucked historically
Why don’t you just say “ hate saints and want to keep my ridiculous cheap no 1 decay pick “
Just own it ffs

I like the Saints though and want them to do well and see success. But they continually let themselves down at every level of the organisation. When is the last time the Saints had serious people running and operating the joint? When is the last time the Saints were a serious organisation?

Your president is getting up at the B&F telling the players they're the scraps and telling anecdotes about going up to AFL Commissioners on grand final day.

1727787545085.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah yeah yeah....

But the comp has been cooked since post WW2, well into the 70's and 80's and so on.....during which time St Kilda have mostly been utter trash. Evenness, fairness etc are all wonderful traits that the VFL/AFL have repeatedly used as corporate buzzwords and little else.

Even if your president feels stridently about the issue, commenting about it publicly at the B&F is complete madness. At best it will divide opinion about validity, at worst it will be interpreted as a whinge.

I get it, I really do....I can recall feeling similarly aggrieved in or around 2014.....but we were simply forced to accept that complaining about fairness etc wasn't going to fix shit. The ONLY remedy was to swallow that bitterness and get on and build something that didn't rely on anybody else.

Carlton ALSO got heavily punished post-2000 and spent years as a basket case - they brought that on themselves. Privately, I'm sure they felt it was punitive and heavy-handed.....but they took their medicine and found a way to come out the other side.

Statements from the OP - "As a Saints supporter, of course it's unfair that I ended up supporting a shit team...." - reflect the victim mentality that envelops a supporter who is desperate for help.....but this is LIFE mate.....nobody is going to come to your assistance and hand you the keys to success. The reality is you have to do the work yourself.

And your chief should know. Agitating in the manner described at the GF is embarrassing, self-defeating and puerile.
Agitating in the manner the prez did is exactly what his job is - he’s done the behind closed doors stuff and has been all year
The rest is dribble btw and off topic
Want the top FS picks ???? Awesome … pay up or don’t get them it’s that simple
Academies? - AFL run, give us all access no more freebies you lot have had enough premiership handouts …time to stand up in QLD on your own

Pay the price - same for Pies for anyone getting a top 5-10 draft pick for fck all
It ain’t that hard
You want him bad enough - you should cough up
Saints want Riewoldt kid in a few years - pay up Saints
On what brain dead planet is that hard to get??

I like the Saints though and want them to do well and see success. But they continually let themselves down at every level of the organisation. When is the last time the Saints had serious people running and operating the joint? When is the last time the Saints were a serious organisation?

Your president is getting up at the B&F telling the players they're the scraps and telling anecdotes about going up to AFL Commissioners on grand final day.

View attachment 2128588
I think you’ll find (you love us so much you probably know this already..) our prez and the way the club is run right now is the best it has been in 10 years …
He’s not an unsuccessful fool Bassatt there is method to the approach
Now you don’t like it cause you’ve just won a flag so you’re all “come follow our strategic Lions path…” BS
I was ex Fitzroy so don’t give me Lions - the club shouldn’t even be in Brisbane you lot are an AFL fabrication borne out of the AFL deciding Fitzroy would be no more and a merge with Nth didn’t suit the “northern expansion agenda..”
The colours ain’t even right ….
But glad you like the Saints ….i always did too

I think you’ll find (you love us so much you probably know this already..) our prez and the way the club is run right now is the best it has been in 10 years …
Boy oh boy you're in trouble then.

Stephen Silvagni as your list manager, supported by Gubby Allen. Two of the biggest frauds in the game.

Coached by Lyon who's teams strangle the life out of the game.

No amount of under the table brown paper bags from Allen is going to entice decent players down to St Kilda.

Boy oh boy you're in trouble then.

Stephen Silvagni as your list manager, supported by Gubby Allen. Two of the biggest frauds in the game.

Coached by Lyon who's teams strangle the life out of the game.

No amount of under the table brown paper bags from Allen is going to entice decent players down to St Kilda.
we don't need trade targets we need unmatchable academy players if you want to be fair. how did Pappa Fagan work that magic???

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back