St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly just remove the salary cap. I'm over this bullshit system where they prop up the northern based clubs so they can match it with the other power clubs.

Remove the cap. Let the pies and wce go at it for a decade. Let's see how their precious plastic Northern clubs go after a decade of that.

30+ years and going strong in Sydney ….
Great sustainable model ..

Definitely more sustainable now to the point players from NSW origin are spread across other clubs too. Heeney from Newcastle as well as Gulden, Rampe, Blakey coming from UNSW Eastern suburbs show the game is starting to grow as well as producing top end talents.

If St Kilda truly believes it is a cheat code to premiership success, they are welcome to try and re-establish themselves on a footy frontier and enjoy all the largesse of a development academy. We’ll see you in the GF!

Yep, become Canberra Saints. Have your own academy, NGA, whatever. Feel free to see if you can retain and grow talent. Saints may be getting a better hand as Canberra isn't a NRL heartland and may be easier to establish.

Honestly just remove the salary cap. I'm over this bullshit system where they prop up the northern based clubs so they can match it with the other power clubs.

Remove the cap. Let the pies and wce go at it for a decade. Let's see how their precious plastic Northern clubs go after a decade of that.

St Kilda are like the voters that the Liberal party convince to vote against their own self interest every election.

The suns have never played in a final. Brisbane has had one guy at pick 14 and the rest mostly at picks in the 35-60 region.

Meanwhile half the Victorian clubs are rorting the cap and making the Victorian market uncompetitive for the Saints who can’t attract anyone as a small club.

St Kilda are like the voters that the Liberal party convince to vote against their own self interest every election.

The suns have never played in a final. Brisbane has had one guy at pick 14 and the rest mostly at picks in the 35-60 region.

Meanwhile half the Victorian clubs are rorting the cap and making the Victorian market uncompetitive for the Saints who can’t attract anyone as a small club.
Alot of us have been complaining about father sons since Hawkins was drafted, and considering we have lost our last two premierships to two teams littered with talented father sons i think saints fans have a fair gripe considering we have only seen one father son for 9 games in the last 30 odd years. I know its all luck and by the time i'm 80 it might be our turn but lets not pretend its making no difference for these teams or that we are only now annoyed once Brisbane got some.

Financially strong clubs don’t get a benefit that isn’t of their own merit....

Do you think Carlton & Essendon receiving blockbuster scheduling and the associated funding and marketability that comes with that, across the past quarter of a century is a benefit of their own merit? Even in their poorest onfield periods they retained this benefit.
Some of the worst teams in football opened the season for 13 years.
It's cronyism. But there's always those who stand back and admire.

Alot of us have been complaining about father sons since Hawkins was drafted, and considering we have lost our last two premierships to two teams littered with talented father sons
In fairness, it was Hawkins being drafted that introduced the bid system.

Clubs started to get a bit smarter, and realised that if they had sole access to a certain player, it was in their absolute best interests to give that player a head start before they actually turned 18.

Rather convenient thought after your club wants to offer a GWS player $5mill to jump ship after he has only played 12-games in his career.

“St Kilda among other clubs (will be wondering) how can they pry Leek Aleer out of the Giants, and if they do, what’s he worth? Because I actually think that his price will skyrocket next year.

“The Saints saying to him ‘we are prepared to offer you six years at $800,000-ish’ — that’s his price — that’s a $4.8 million deal that they’ve said ‘we’re prepared to offer you’.

But don't forget, its only the F/S & draft that is wrong according to the Saints Pres !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness, it was Hawkins being drafted that introduced the bid system.

Clubs started to get a bit smarter, and realised that if they had sole access to a certain player, it was in their absolute best interests to give that player a head start before they actually turned 18.
yeah you often cast a wider net on draft day if you have a father son come along, with the added benefit of one of them kinda loving the club already not massively different to academy really.

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back