St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you being ignorant to the fact they have and along with other financially independent clubs, have built their own success. (St Kilda aren’t a financially independent club).

The fixturing is done through a plethora of reasonings, from the popularity of the club, the previous success of blockbuster clashes, how good the teams are going and the wealth comes into it later, which again for Andrews case, he is saying the afl built that, which is an awful opinion.

Seeing as most clubs do their own separate resource planning and financial advisory systems to better position themselves as a business and team in the afl.

It is a lot more likely that St Kilda haven’t been able to put a foot hold in their own financial growth, and their on-field performance doesn’t help this.

Again the only good point he had was the price for father sons, academies (next gen and northern academies). But to bunch that in with the rest was poor, and his way of communicating his point wasn’t great either.
Your first paragraph is the point of my post, dopey.
They don't build their financial success. The league administration builds their financial success even if they're shithouse onfield for a quarter of a century.

There’s zero guarantee they wouldn’t. I’d back them into both become good players. Petracca was drafted into a basket case club.

But if your argument is that St Kilda can’t develop players then maybe that’s a pretty big problem.

Literally just developed a pick 39 into a $850k a year player & pick 8.

Literally just developed a pick 39 into a $850k a year player & pick 8.

Tell that to your fellow sainters who claim you can’t develop players

Are you being ignorant to the fact they have and along with other financially independent clubs, have built their own success. (St Kilda aren’t a financially independent club).

The fixturing is done through a plethora of reasonings, from the popularity of the club, the previous success of blockbuster clashes, how good the teams are going and the wealth comes into it later, which again for Andrews case, he is saying the afl built that, which is an awful opinion.

Seeing as most clubs do their own separate resource planning and financial advisory systems to better position themselves as a business and team in the afl.

It is a lot more likely that St Kilda haven’t been able to put a foot hold in their own financial growth, and their on-field performance doesn’t help this.

Again the only good point he had was the price for father sons, academies (next gen and northern academies). But to bunch that in with the rest was poor, and his way of communicating his point wasn’t great either.
What a load of nonsense.

The big clubs are big, because the AFL makes them big.

Small clubs are small, because the AFL
This is different to a new team or a side who has been poor for long periods, on field performance changes those big games, as shown by the round 1 with Richmond and Carlton scrapped, but there are a lot of games with history, that continue to get played.

These are games that bring in big money for both clubs but the AFL in particular, this would be dumb for the product of AFL and the AFL as a business to move them to other clubs who may be equal to or lesser then.

AFL financially aid St Kilda, with North Melbourne, and the three Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS sides being above them. This is because of their own instability and lack of being able to build a financial foundation.

Again it’s less to do with how wealthy the clubs are already and the AFL giving them draft advantages (he doesn’t but Andrew implied this), with fixturing and the rest, it is all not one singular reason. There are a plethora of KPIs involved.

Obviously an over exaggeration for you to an extent, but again as I said, it’s less about them favouring the others due to specifically their wealth. There are a lot of reasons to things. The AFL is a business after all.

The fact is they’re being given a fair chance. Financially being aided, benefiting from next generation academies, father sons if they had them, their financial aid has risen over time aswell. It’s on St Kilda aswell to be able to build a better system off-field to gain financial stability but also get some on-field success which will help this. There are many things they can do or work toward bettering to becoming a bigger club. Albeit hard as everyone knows Australia is a country for the diehards, so many people already have memberships to their favourite clubs.
You are speaking so much shit.

I can only assume you're playing devil's advocate when posting this rubbish, and you don't actually believe it?

That or do the right thing and refuse the pick, after complaining how 'compromised' things are.

Perhaps just stop making stupid decisions and be a better club?
Again, GREAT POINTS

You would think they have to bid on Kako and Marshall

"For the equities of the league"

Congratulations to Saint Kilda, Ross and the President. :thumbsu:

You whinged and complaigned SO loudly the AFL did what it always does and oils the squeaky wheel and they got their band 1 compo for a player who is nowhere worth that.

I just hope my club has taken note and starts complaining louder. MUCH LOUDER!

My goodness. Just when you think things may improve and AFL House continues this debarcle management of the draft.

That’s such a good comparison I’m glad you brought it up.

Lions were a rabble off field when the back office did all that complaining. Then we fixed that. As soon as the adults entered the room the club stopped complaining and began fixing. And here we are.

St Kilda should take note.

I think this misses the point.

Any club can be a rabble, regardless of how much help the AFL gives you. Essendon is a perfect example.

But turning it around is far easier when the AFL is supporting you commercially. Big games. Primetime fixtures. etc.

But not all clubs have the same ceiling in terms of being able to thrive. The deck is stacked differently for different clubs.

Getting a few key things right, is nowhere near enough for a club like St Kilda to thrive. They need to get absolutely everything right, and even then, they're still miles behind the historically big clubs.
And they'd need to get everything absolutely right for 20 years straight to maintain any momentum.

St Kilda have been relatively successful in the modern era, due to the AFL system of equalisation.
The whole point of the AFL system is that clubs have their ups, then they have their downs. This allowed clubs like St Kilda to have their moments on-field.

But the biggest issue with the AFL's equalisation is that the way the deck is stacked, not all clubs have the massive downs that they're supposed to have.
They still get their primetime fixtures when they suck which facilitates them signing gun players. They've still got their home grounds. So their downs are mere blips, which allows them to bounce back quickly.

St Kilda doesn't have that. Like the model is supposed to do, when they have their downs, they're down. That's the way the system is designed to work - and when you don't get the leg up that big clubs get, it works very well. And any momentum gained from their ups is lost very quickly as they run around at Docklands at 4pm on a Sunday arvo against North.

And this is why the Father-Son rule is such rubbish. The system is stacked against smaller clubs enough as it is - why throw in another way to allow a club in their 'up' phase to stay up longer, or a ub in their 'down' phase to fast track it?

Let the uncompromised Draft and salary cap do their thing.

It still won't address the commercial inequalities that the big clubs benefit from, but it will at least tip the scales slightly back towards a fairer and more even comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your first paragraph is the point of my post, dopey.
They don't build their financial success. The league administration builds their financial success even if they're shithouse onfield for a quarter of a century.
You’re ignoring the fact St Kilda are one of the most financially aided clubs in the league.

What a load of nonsense.

The big clubs are big, because the AFL makes them big.

Small clubs are small, because the AFL

You are speaking so much shit.

I can only assume you're playing devil's advocate when posting this rubbish, and you don't actually believe it?
The AFL would want all clubs to be big organisations, it makes them more money, so for you to think they decide who gets to be a big club, or they make clubs bigger or smaller is laughable.

You’re ignoring the fact St Kilda are one of the most financially aided clubs in the league.
The AFL would want all clubs to be big organisations, it makes them more money, so for you to think they decide who gets to be a big club, or they make clubs bigger or smaller is laughable.
Are you thick?

The AFL preference the income provided by continually showcasing the larger clubs (prime time matches). Distributions of larger amounts to smaller clubs is compensation for them not having marquee time slots.

If the AFL was equatable, each team would play games equally in each time slot and double ups wouldn't be continually given to big clubs against each other. That way smaller teams could start to command more when it comes to drawing new members and importantly, sponsors. Sponsors want to be in front of as many eyes as possible.

Too embarrassed to say anything in the Battle trade thread after all your posturing, hey?
Nah got thread banned, so all you saints fans can like and quote my posts, kinda sad tbh, like your club, that’s a pox post wishing Josh well after not inviting him to the BNF

still won’t pick 8th on draft night, my statements hold true

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back