St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact is I didn’t disagree that the compromised nature of the draft is poor, especially the price. It’s the other stuff he spoke about which just made me laugh, and the way he said it.

Clubs get financial aid but again some get it more than others, St Kilda being one. Blockbuster games won’t change as they’re too big of a hit financially to the afl as you said and St Kilda will if they perform and earn it, prime time slots at Friday nights etc, like Hawthorn will get in 2025 after performing in 2024.

I think the confusion comes through prime time v marquee games, the latter won’t change as it’s business and it would be financially irresponsible. Prime time games however completely different in that case.

I don’t completely disagree, just partially.
A couple of things...

It's not 'financial aid', it's money that all clubs need to operate. No club can survive without that money from the AFL.

Secondly, prime time games don't do shit for a club like St Kilda in terms of making them a 'big club'.

They need them to compete commercially in the short term, as it gives them the chance to turn a profit on the season. But nothing more really.

Getting a couple of Friday night games isn't what gets you from being a club with 30k members to 100k. It'll just get you from being a club with a $10m debt to a club with a $9m debt.

It won't make you a 'destination club'.

Playing primetime fixtures and getting marquee timeslots and games is what gives you the national exposure and relevance to possibly, over 20-30 years, become a 'big club'.

As I said earlier, the comp couldn't survive this though. All clubs need the millions that the AFL give them each year. If the fixture wasn't 'maximised' the millions simply wouldn't be there.

But that's Ok. Small clubs mostly accept this reality.

What's stupid, is throwing Father-Son shit and other unnecessary inequities on top of. That's just totally unnecessary and further widens the gap.

How is it we have a competition that rewards miss managed clubs? Saints have had so many picks over the years, is it the AFL or other clubs' fault they have recruited poorly? It's not just the saints. The whole comp is littered with wasted draft picks and miss managements.
Pity we haven’t received multiple free hit, generational father sons to cover up our shit drafting.

This "wicked burn" wasn't effective enough to post once, let alone twice. You look petty and small. Stop embarrassing your club.
Embarrassing your club would be complaining about how unfair everything is with the pedigree that Bassett has

Work in silence, people would respect him more

Your club is only relevant when complaining or losing

1 flag

Jeez
Predictable retort.

When tassie comes in how long will it take before the Hawks want another merger?

I guess 3 years.

Hawthorn fans bailed on the club until this year, bandwagoners to the extreme.

Last edited:
Predictable retort.

When tassie comes in how long will it take before the Hawks want another merger?

I guess 3 years.

Hawthorn fans bailed on the club until this year, bandwagoners to the extreme.
80k members

Multi 100 million training facility being developed, open next year

Destination club

Prime time fixture next season

We will focus on what we can control
You can whinge about the inequalities in the afl

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda President Andrew Bassat tees off on the AFL draft system, specifically father/son and the Northern Academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back