Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Taberner, Fyfe, Jackson, Schutlz, Frederick, Switkowski, Treacy, Walters, Sturt, Banfield

If we are leaving out three of that group I agree it probably won't be Schultz, but Treacy and Sturt not being in the side because Walters and Banfield are ahead of them will mean we lose both players for next season.

Fyfe playing as the medium tall is great for the team, but makes it very hard to fit other players in the forward line. Treacy is bigger, provides more pressure but will be picked behind Fyfe. Sturt is faster and provides more pressure but will be picked behind Fyfe.

Both could argue that if Fyfe was a midfielder this season that they would have his spot in the forward line.

... but then we are talking about Will Brodie not getting a game in the middle.
I am not all that fussed about losing Sturt. He was lucky to get a contract this year imo.

I think you're on the money, I'm curious which of the two you would pick.

The optimist in me wants Treacy to play, look like Tom Hawkins and Taberner has to earn his spot but the realist in me says Tabs is the better player and best tall forward we have - so he is tattooed onto the team sheet.
Tabs has been pretty underwhelming recently, but then could just pull out another 7 goal game from his ass.

I think at this point I’d pick treacy over him purely so we don’t lose him. Tabs is old, injury prone, contracted for another year. Don’t have to worry about losing him.

Good team, however various senior coaching members ( and players) have straight out said Hughes is on fire or playing. So picking a team without him is your team for sure but won’t be the team.
Hughes has done very well being a versatile and wholehearted goer, but the comments generally have been prompted by questions the coaches and players have been asked. The only response they're going to give is a positive response. It's great to have him in the team, but you'd think he's very much in the hot seat as far as tenure goes.

all this discussion proves that we're definitely a more exciting prospect as the squad has deepened. Even with a few injuries (who may yet get up, complicating things further) it's bloody hard to pick an outright Round 1 team. That's off the back of trading out Lobb, Logue, Tucker*, Acres and Meek*.

Do we play Treacy or Tabs? Do we play Sturt? Hughes, Banfield. Do we play Walters, Ryan and Freddy if all fit (I say yes)?! So who the hell gets left out? Brutal man!

*Maybe only Tucker and Meek may have not been considered best 22 come this season. Pretty nuts

all this discussion proves that we're definitely a more exciting prospect as the squad has deepened. Even with a few injuries (who may yet get up, complicating things further) it's bloody hard to pick an outright Round 1 team. That's off the back of trading out Lobb, Logue, Tucker*, Acres and Meek*.

Do we play Treacy or Tabs? Do we play Sturt? Hughes, Banfield. Do we play Walters, Ryan and Freddy if all fit (I say yes)?! So who the hell gets left out? Brutal man!

*Maybe only Tucker and Meek may have not been considered best 22 come this season. Pretty nuts
I could not fit Logue in our b22 this year. Already a squeeze on forwards and there’s no defender he could replace. Acres the easy one. Would come in for Hughes/Henry. Lobb would be fighting with Jackson/Treacy/Tabs for one of those spots. Probably gets it over Treacy but even then I’ve only got one of Treacy/Tabs in my b22.

I could not fit Logue in our b22 this year. Already a squeeze on forwards and there’s no defender he could replace. Acres the easy one. Would come in for Hughes/Henry. Lobb would be fighting with Jackson/Treacy/Tabs for one of those spots. Probably gets it over Treacy but even then I’ve only got one of Treacy/Tabs in my b22.
yes I forgot Logue likely be a squeeze to fit in with Fyfe returning and being used as a forward. Would have been exceptionally hard for him to get in if all were fit. And as it stands, it's brutal.....someone/s decent is going to miss out. Good headache to have for selection committee though

Taberner, Fyfe, Jackson, Schutlz, Frederick, Switkowski, Treacy, Walters, Sturt, Banfield

If we are leaving out three of that group I agree it probably won't be Schultz, but Treacy and Sturt not being in the side because Walters and Banfield are ahead of them will mean we lose both players for next season.

Fyfe playing as the medium tall is great for the team, but makes it very hard to fit other players in the forward line. Treacy is bigger, provides more pressure but will be picked behind Fyfe. Sturt is faster and provides more pressure but will be picked behind Fyfe.

Both could argue that if Fyfe was a midfielder this season that they would have his spot in the forward line.

Yep - there is a chance that Treacy, Sturt and probably Amiss will find it hard to consistently get games this year, especially as Fyfe is parked forward as a first choice key position role. On the other hand chances are that Taberner, Fyfe and possibly Darcy will be injured at times which will open up opportunities for Amiss (for Fyfe or Taberner) or Treacy (for any of those three particularly if Jackson needs to go into the ruck full time to cover a Darcy injury).

On the small side, Walters (and historically Switkowski) is also likely to be injured, which will open up chances for players like Sturt.

In terms of Treacy or Sturt staying, it probably depends on a number of factors but Sturt is a player that could get delisted or on the flip side easily take Walters place at the end of the season, meaning he will probably stay. Similarly, as others have said, Taberner's position is safe at the start of this season, but by the end if Treacy or Amiss have really stepped up then he might forced into a Hamling type situation.

Freo already just like most teams have niggling injuries

Players will miss and opportunities will arise

Amiss Tracey Sturt Johnson and Erasmus are our future. If they perform in WAFL then they will be first selected when positions become available. More importantly they need to play good enough to overtake others who were previously selected.

Easy dubs, get it done and smash those pathetic little campaigners into the ground.

**** St Kilda and **** Ross Lyon.

We wanna make a statement, beat these ****ers so bad that they pack it up for the season at the end of the round.

Would be nice if we told them early in the season how much we believe in them, then offer them good money and multiple year contract ( this is more Tracey than Sturt). Remembering JL has taken on the feedback from last years departures.

Hughes has done very well being a versatile and wholehearted goer, but the comments generally have been prompted by questions the coaches and players have been asked. The only response they're going to give is a positive response. It's great to have him in the team, but you'd think he's very much in the hot seat as far as tenure goes.
I would have thought so, I would also think he has played his role ok but the enthusiasm of the comments made I.E. best player of our preseason has surprised me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought so, I would also think he has played his role ok but the enthusiasm of the comments made I.E. best player of our preseason has surprised me.
I had heard the comment he was probably the most consistent across 4 quarters of the Adelaide sim from Longmuir, but can't recall hearing the one where it was said he was the best of the preseason, so can't comment on that specifically. The feel I gets is that there's a general love for the way Hughes goes about it in the club, especially by backline compadres like Pearce and they always love to see him do well, which generates that extra enthusiasm when describing what he does..

I had heard the comment he was probably the most consistent across 4 quarters of the Adelaide sim from Longmuir, but can't recall hearing the one where it was said he was the best of the preseason, so can't comment on that specifically. The feel I gets is that there's a general love for the way Hughes goes about it in the club, especially by backline compadres like Pearce and they always love to see him do well, which generates that extra enthusiasm when describing what he does..
I think it was Pearce that said Hughes has been one of our best in both pre season games.

I think it was Pearce that said Hughes has been one of our best in both pre season games.
It was a pretty generic statement though "I think over the past few weeks he's been one of our best players...". The sort of statement that could be thrown out there for any number of players. Especially given it was in response to a specific question about Hughes.

I reckon, because Hughes is such a balls-deep battler, everyone gets a thrill from seeing him in the frame. His bar is set accordingly though and is weighted strongly towards effort.

Assuming 20 min quarters they will have to kick 12.5 million points every quarter or 2,083,333 goals. This is equivalent to 625,000 points a minute or 104,000 goals a minute.
can't believe you took the time to work that out, you goofy numbnuts :tongueoutv1:

Proper funny :tearsofjoy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back