Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is plenty of scope to try with Jackson long term, but thats not what we've trained so I doubt it.
Majority of this preseason Jackson hasn’t trained as a forward either, in most of the match sims he was going up against Darcy in the ruck, we all thought the scratch match and official preseason game would be our chance to see how the forward line would function with him in there alongside Tabs, Treacy and Fyfe.
We got a glimpse againt the crows and both he and Tabs spent stint’s playing very high to be the link player, leaving Treacy Fyfe and the other one in the forward 50.

Majority of this preseason Jackson hasn’t trained as a forward either, in most of the match sims he was going up against Darcy in the ruck, we all thought the scratch match and official preseason game would be our chance to see how the forward line would function with him in there alongside Tabs, Treacy and Fyfe.
We got a glimpse againt the crows and both he and Tabs spent stint’s playing very high to be the link player, leaving Treacy Fyfe and the other one in the forward 50.
Yes, but he's played forward for 50 AFL games.

Reminds me of that audio claiming to be Rodney Eade coaching the Bulldogs going absolutely off at Will Minson while someone sounding like Leon Cameron asks Rocket to cool it since they can't hear.

I wonder if Lyon and the coaches were similarly calling their players all names under the sun and if that will have a cost come the end of the season as they find somewhere else to work.

Reminds me of that audio claiming to be Rodney Eade coaching the Bulldogs going absolutely off at Will Minson while someone sounding like Leon Cameron asks Rocket to cool it since they can't hear.

I wonder if Lyon and the coaches were similarly calling their players all names under the sun and if that will have a cost come the end of the season as they find somewhere else to work.
Yeah... Ross is tactically gifted as a coach, but his people skills leave a lot to be desired.

Far, far, FAR prefer JLo as a coach for this exact reason -- he's the complete package: he's a good tactician, he's got a mellow temperament (or so it seems) and he's won the respect of the players.

Imagine if we had someone like Mitchell for a coach.. Christ almighty -- reason enough to start supporting the Eagles!

Wonder if Meek is starting to regret his decision to move....

Christ almighty -- reason enough to start supporting the Eagles!
Vine Wtf GIF

Christ almighty being starting ruck for the WC wouldn't be reason enough to start supporting them.

Yeah... Ross is tactically gifted as a coach, but his people skills leave a lot to be desired.

Far, far, FAR prefer JLo as a coach for this exact reason -- he's the complete package: he's a good tactician, he's got a mellow temperament (or so it seems) and he's won the respect of the players.

Imagine if we had someone like Mitchell for a coach.. Christ almighty -- reason enough to start supporting the Eagles!

Wonder if Meek is starting to regret his decision to move....
There are many people who aren't fans of Ross, but I don't know where the lack of people skills comes from.
You don't get to where he got to without being able to get a bunch of people on the same page.

Plenty of criticism regarding different treatment for different people, and inappropriate comments, but they're different things.

If Jackson, Fyfe and Taberner are the main 3 targets we're missing someone capable of kicking a goal from around the 50m zone.

You need to have that threat even if its only once or twice a game you might get a set shot there. Treacy, Sturt, Amiss would all be ahead of those three in terms of converting a long goal.

Something Lobb for all his faults was capable of.

If Jackson, Fyfe and Taberner are the main 3 targets we're missing someone capable of kicking a goal from around the 50m zone.

You need to have that threat even if its only once or twice a game you might get a set shot there. Treacy, Sturt, Amiss would all be ahead of those three in terms of converting a long goal.

Something Lobb for all his faults was capable of.
Treacy, Sturt and Amiss will play plenty of football, and kick plenty from the 50m. I agree Lobb had plenty of faults.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Treacy isn't in round one than they will only play him when Tabbs/Fyfe gets injured. If he doesn't get consistent games this season than he is gone and we won't get s**t for him.

True and its stopping his development. Just like Amiss.

Those guys need afl games. If Tabs etc are better then playing Tabs instead will only be good for the short term. ie this season or next.

We can't afford to lose him yet he may not be best fit at present.

Last edited:
If you classify Fyfe as a medium forward there is room for Tabs, Jackson and Treacy/Amiss in the forward line. Especially as Jackson will spend around 30% game time in the ruck.
When Jackson is forward it gives Tabs free rein to drag a KPD up to the wing and try to blow then up turning back towards goal.
Having all 4 allows us to be more creative with where Jackson plays as well, meaning he could have stints as a big bodied mid or even on the wing.

If you classify Fyfe as a medium forward there is room for Tabs, Jackson and Treacy/Amiss in the forward line. Especially as Jackson will spend around 30% game time in the ruck.
When Jackson is forward it gives Tabs free rein to drag a KPD up to the wing and try to blow then up turning back towards goal.
Having all 4 allows us to be more creative with where Jackson plays as well, meaning he could have stints as a big bodied mid or even on the wing.

True but then Amiss or Tracey misses out

They are our future and could kick as many goals as Tabs this season if given the same opportunity

Also Sturt may struggle to get games if Walters Switta Shultz and Freddy are uninjured. We need to get games into him as he has massive upside.

I'd spew if Hughes or Banfield are in the team ahead of him. Plus Johnson and Erasmus will eventually need games.

We need to keep and play our young guns even at the expense of some older players who may be slightly better but who have stagnated in development or reached their ceiling

Perfect chance to start big and play
Tabs, Fyfe, Treacy and Jackson.
However for some reason got this gut feeling it’ll be Treacy out with Tabs Fyfe as with Jackson resting.
Just don’t know. Jl just doesnt like tall forward line

Perfect chance to start big and play
Tabs, Fyfe, Treacy and Jackson.
However for some reason got this gut feeling it’ll be Treacy out with Tabs Fyfe as with Jackson resting.
Just don’t know. Jl just doesnt like tall forward line
Fyfe is a medium forward, who can play tall if need be. Treacy pressures like a small & Jackson moves like one. I think all 4 is fine including bench rotations with the occasional stints at taller or smaller setups to try and expose the other team.

Although I’m not sure who misses out as we ran 3 talls, 4 smalls and Banners (medium) as the sub our last final. Freddy or Walters probably given an extra week off while we figure it out.

Playing too many talls in the forwards generally leads to easy exits.

For our forward entries, If our talls, can’t mark it, they need to half the contest and bring it to the ground.

Then our defensive forwards either convert or lock it in.

Re the Bulldogs…..

With the Bulldogs going full on tall, then slingshot rebound goals are likely to happen. I assume their mids will be guarding the perimeter, but now that Dunkley has gone the Bulldogs don’t have many defensive midfielders, or defensive forwards.. they will rely on getting first hands on the ball and clean forward entries.

You can play an extra tall if their defensive pressure is high such as Treacy. Playing 4 taberners would be a disaster. Jackson is as good below his knees as above his head. Switta, Shultz and Walters to clean up anything that spills.

You can play an extra tall if their defensive pressure is high such as Treacy. Playing 4 taberners would be a disaster. Jackson is as good below his knees as above his head. Switta, Shultz and Walters to clean up anything that spills.
But that's exactly why you should be trialing these setups during the first six rounds against average teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview St Kilda Saints vs. Fremantle Dockers, Round 1 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back