Autopsy St Kilda v GWS Rd 5 2018 - a draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Great effort from the boys. Banked 2 premiership points more than we all thought we would going into this game. Long was brilliant, in that Rioli kind of way. High quality 15 possession game and a ripping goal.

Saints fans who couldn’t be bothered and didn’t turn up need to give themselves a kick in the pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Had to work. If you pay my mortgage, I'll make sure to turn up next time.

To be honest, I'm not deflated at all about the draw. Going into the game all I wanted to see was some real passion and drive from the players to kick start the season, and we absolutely saw that. They were playing their hearts out at the end, and while sure, we didn't get the perfect result, we saw that effort and intensity and hopefully that spills into training and further games for the season.

Good to see Paddy kick a few, especially the big one toward the end. That'll definitely help him build self belief at the AFL level. He's dominant at Sandy, I reckon he just needed to prove to himself he can do that at AFL level too.

Long was great. Hickey had a massive second game back, he looks to be getting back to his 2016 form. Carlisle was a rock in defence for us as always for most of the game, shame that he couldn't complete the mark to win the game but can't really hold it against him considering how hard he works. Coffield was good, Clarke had a good impact on the contest. Steven was huge in the second half.

A few pleasing things...

This bloke’s revival.

D4B8767F-6643-4B04-A14A-F350ABA53B14.jpeg

This bloke’s immense efforts.

CDB0BA07-C7F3-48C5-9786-C6ECF0C2188C.jpeg

This mad bastard’s heart.

68089CE8-EA9A-4AAF-8041-36F4DA785CB9.jpeg

This bloke when the heat was on.

5D4A32C1-8BE1-49D0-8CD9-AF4F436FD9D5.jpeg

This angry unit and his left boot.

BA61995B-F480-44CE-904B-DACB6E4D6588.jpeg

Their class and composure.

EE7B423A-8B8B-4365-B9EE-EF155B261B7C.jpeg B1747A2E-D580-4A26-8C0C-26E930F54080.jpeg

And welcome back to 2016 Maverick Weller... we missed you Mav.

Last edited:
Dont know how to feel.

At least I saw some passion today. White and Long played hard for a spot in the team, brought a physicality that even our vets have been missing for a while now. Sometimes you just need to hit people (within rules) and make them hurt and earn it.

Both teams will say they should have won with missed opportunities. If that last kick hit the chest we would have taken down a top 4 team. Don't know why the Carlisle forward was used late. We got back into the game without his impact down there and he hasnt impacted much at all every time hes been moved there this season., should have faith in our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Emotionally checked back in.

We didn't win but we didn't lose either and we showed our trademark Saints fighting spirit again.

Some big positives with Hickey, McCartin and Long stepping up to their potential and Coffield looks like being a gun.

I've got hope again.

He is all prick and ribs, wait till he muscles up. All of the bruise free half back flankers will be bricking it!

The bone and sinew tacklers are the worst to play against. Especially when they’re like Ben and fearless when it comes to hitting you at pace.

I’d rather get hit by McCartin every day of the week.

Just bloody proud of the boys! While it was disappointing to not come away with the win, I think we'll get a huge confidence boost from the game. Reaffirmed to the boys themselves that they can play well as a team, but on an individual level how good was it to see McCartin, Weller and Long slot those goals when the game was on the line. Let's build from here!

Can't help but feel, rightly or wrongly, that the umpires ruined us a bit today. Regardless of figures.
I would argue that Carlisle shouldn't be forward, is not that type of leading forward mark, as demonstrated, and if he wasn't forward a better option would have presented and we win the game. I hate this move re Carlisle and blame Richardson.
We could have won this game, look at our inside fifties, better than a loss but seriously not content with this.
Also we need to address our marking, Coffield took the most, we should have keys marking the ball much more often.
Sorry but I'm flat. Will go to the VFL tomorrow and see what's what.

Can't help but feel, rightly or wrongly, that the umpires ruined us a bit today. Regardless of figures.
I would argue that Carlisle shouldn't be forward, is not that type of leading forward mark, as demonstrated, and if he wasn't forward a better option would have presented and we win the game. I hate this move re Carlisle and blame Richardson.
We could have won this game, look at our inside fifties, better than a loss but seriously not content with this.
Also we need to address our marking, Coffield took the most, we should have keys marking the ball much more often.
Sorry but I'm flat. Will go to the VFL tomorrow and see what's what.

Yep, the umps were ****ing heinous. Just need to take our chances.

Was really pleased with the performance. There were a number of times when I jumped out of my seat which was great as the games up until this point in the season have made me a little jaded. Such a shame that it was a draw.

Can't really fault anyone's performance. If Weller and Long can maintain that level of intensity and aggression, we will be fine for forward line pressure. Glad that Long, Paddy and White have been given a stretch of games. You can see their confidence building, which is translating to improved performances. So pumped that Paddy kicked a career high 3 goals. Just waiting for that bag of 5+ in a game.

It was also great to see less of the bomb it long in hope approach and lowering of eyes to hit up targets. The challenge is now to maintain that level of performance. Felt like the team balance was on point today. One of the big take aways from our line up was to allow Carlisle to play as the loose man in defence, playing to his strengths. For this reason it made sense to play Gilbert in a lock down role today, but might be worthwhile giving Austin a game ahead of Gilbert as he would suit this role better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy St Kilda v GWS Rd 5 2018 - a draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back