Preview St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs @Etihad Sat 2nd 7:25pm. Nick Riewoldt's 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

After a big week 1 win for the doggies and our boys putting in a good effort we reach week 2 of the season with a very good clash i think between our 2 teams.

A lot of good young players will be on display and I think we need to stop stringer and the rebound of the doggies while Hickey can be a match winner for us imo.

Key match ups are in the midfield with Armo, Steven, Ross, Dunstan, Joey, Newnes taking on Bonts, Libba, McRae, Picken ect ect.

Hopefully we can string 4 quarters together and beat them

And also it is Rooeys 300th so lets hope he has a ripper and smashes the doggies

Dunstan out for McCartin, really need to get some height down forward. Think Longer can wait with Hickey playing so well coming up against another sole ruck in Roughead. Feels weird dropping Dunstan, 9 tackles shows he was definitely giving it a crack, but with Gilbert in the guts and Ross coming on I don't think that he's a necessity. Want to see more of Tempo but 10 possession 0 goal games won't be good enough for long. Gresh similar. The guys in the twos will get their chance soon.

Very worried that we could be steamrolled in this one, our effort for three was good enough but the last was nowhere near good enough and we were decimated, if our fitness is an issue off a 6 day break with travel that does not bode too well. Need Riewoldt to lift, think McCartin and Bruce up forward could help, have to get Billings more involved as well as we all know how dangerous he can be. Savage is another that can be dangerous, thought he was quite poor so need effect out of him.

Dogs seem to have a lot more going on everywhere but I thought the same about Port and we matched it with them for 90 minutes. Loved the quick movement and handballs, can overdo it but some very encouraging chains. Hopefully Gilbert can show Bont he's the best big mid around :D

Footy's back

I think we need 2 out of 3 players who plays similar kind of footy - Armitage, Ross and Dunstan.

It will be between Greesham and Eli or both of them will be dropped. I think v should give Eli one more game as he was involved in 3 goal scoring.

Our defence need some work, Geary gotta step up. If he continues to dish up that crap then he will soon find himself playing VFL for his rest of his life.

I would love to see Bruce and Paddy playing together in next match.

People are going to get pissed with this(due to fact he seems to be everyones fav) but I think Gresham needs to go back. Kid has a great future but the game yesterday went past him faster than the Tokyo silver bullet. He needs time to adjust.

Paddy for Gresham and possibly Minch for Eli.

People are going to get pissed with this(due to fact he seems to be everyones fav) but I think Gresham needs to go back. Kid has a great future but the game yesterday went past him faster than the Tokyo silver bullet. He needs time to adjust.

Paddy for Gresham and possibly Minch for Eli.

Gresh, Eli & Dunstan the obvious exclusions unless injuries dictate others.

Paddy needs to come in. 1. Form dictates it; 2. Be there for Roo's milestone seeing as Paddy will be wearing no.12 when Roo retires (only my opinion).

Gilbo was top 5 yesterday, no way does he get dropped...

Not sure how many changes after the one match where really fitness was the thing that beat us in the end

McCartin probably has to come in and I would say that is about it. Likely Templeton or Gresh to make way....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few questions

Who can argue for Gresham staying in the side other than him having potential?

What did he contribute to our performance yesterday that needs to be there?

Is there any stats that suggest he has earned selection?

This isn't a dig at him, I'd just like to know why he deserves his spot.

Think he'll be terrific for us long term, but I seriously went for like 30 minute stretches where I literally didn't see Gresh out on the park, or in any way involved in the play yesterday (checked to see how much game time he played, to see if it was less than 40, only to see it was almost 70%!), so given that I consider this to be a game we MUST WIN (for Rooey), I want us picking our best available team, and if Sinclair has done what the coaching staff wanted him to do, I see him as an immediate upgrade on Jade. Minch might be too, or, he might alternatively be an upgrade on Temps (who's possessions all seemed to be real quality yesterday, but as per usual, not enough of them), or even Dunstan, (who had 9 tackles, but just 10 possessions and doesn't kick it as well as Minch and isn't as well suited to a forward role).

One or even both of Paddy or Membrey to come in and give us that extra height and target up forward (especially for when Bruce is in the ruck, as he was a fair bit yesterday) and it wouldn't surprise me if Geary gets rubbed out for that high bump, so we may need to replace him with Wright, or alternatively move Newnes or even Gilbo back to defence, until he returns (if he does get suspended).

We showed last year in the 2nd game against them that we know how to shut down their run from defence (they were barely able to get it out of our forward half in the first quarter of that game and it was like watching us in 2009 again, just without putting it on the scoreboard), so hopefully we'll employ those tactics just as successfully this time around, but with added scoreboard pressure, and for longer.

Last edited:
The game plan yesterday suited the players we had on the park but I really believe we lacked the other tall forward to support Bruce.

I think we'll also go with one of Sincs or Minch without compromising the style of play we are establishing.

temp dunstan out. minch and paddy in. geary stays due to no one being ready yet to play his role.

What is Geary's role? Standing on the mark, getting baulked and butchering the ball. Oh, I nearly forgot, he's also great at getting the ball after the opposition has kicked a point and throwing it to our designated kicker. In fact that's about the only time he hits a target.

Drop him for DMAC

What is Geary's role? Standing on the mark, getting baulked and butchering the ball. Oh, I nearly forgot, he's also great at getting the ball after the opposition has kicked a point and throwing it to our designated kicker. In fact that's about the only time he hits a target.

Drop him for DMAC
he does put his body on the line so i guess anyone whos willing to do that in the same capacity cant do any worse.

I don't like seeing debuting players come in for 1 game then get dropped straight away. Give Gresh at least another week, even if it's just for some confidence before going to back to the VFL.

IMO zero chance gresh gets dropped. what did he do wrong? don't think the club would bring him in for round 1 then drop him a week later, he'll stay in the side. geary won't get dropped either, i reckon it'll be minchington in for templeton and that will be the only change. acres, weller and dunstan did enough to keep their spot, but paddy and sincs not far away from a call up

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs @Etihad Sat 2nd 7:25pm. Nick Riewoldt's 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back