Stadium deals: the winners are soccer and rugby

Remove this Banner Ad

It doesn't work like that. Anyone that thinks that this is a "battle of codes" is in wonderland. Look at cricket, unless you are from NSW you don't get a look in for the test team. Look at Rugby League, paronoid minor sport that uses corrupt ALP NSW right wing to prevent AFL from growing in NSW. Look at Melbourne's bid for the Olympics, knifed in the back from Sydney harbour so that NSW could get it and then become the rust belt of Australia ever since. The soccer World Cup, taxpayer money, billion dollar stadiums, banning of indigenous games, all to suit Sydneys soccer moguls. Yep, the coat hangar city political hacks and their financial cronies will use any tool they can to manipulate the rest of Australia. That's why we, in the Southern States should not give them an inch.
Spot on!

But the federal ALP government is now dominated by Vics Gillard,Tanner ,Roxon,Ferguson,Crean,Macklin,Conroy,Carr,Griffen and O'Conner so the former domination by the Howard NSW right wing Liberals is over an we should be geeting a better deal as both Rudd ,Swan and Smith are not from slimey corrupt NSW.Isnt it great to see the NSW backstabbers wallowing in their own shit and all of their won making LOL

He was referring to the potential third Melbourne AFL stadium.

Besides, AFL clubs HAD their own stadiums. They ****ed them off to go play at Etihad, didn't they?
The figures justify a third Oval stadium for Melbourne. And if you're talking about Waverley, successive state governments stymied the AFL's attempts to develop it's own ground and forced them back to the MCG, and eventually Etihad.

The figures justify a third Oval stadium for Melbourne.

If you believe that ten clubs justifies three stadia, then surely four justifies one.

And if you're talking about Waverley, successive state governments stymied the AFL's attempts to develop it's own ground and forced them back to the MCG, and eventually Etihad.

EVERY club in Victoria had their own stadium. In hindsight, they never should have moved.

No mate. The new rectangular stadium is a beauty and as others have said caps off a fantastic sporting precinct right next to the Melbourne CBD.

I do however totally agree that not being compatible for the soccer World Cup is a bloody disgrace of the highest order. :thumbsdown:

One advantage of the purpose built rectangular stadium is that when Melbourne Victory play games in the Asian Champions League, it will be host to soccer fans from China, Korea, Japan, Thailand, Indonesia etc etc.

All of whom will pour bundles of tourist dollars into the local economy.

The pollies, who know our economic future is in Asia, got this one right.

So two oval stadiums for 9 teams drawing average 40,000 crowds is ""overkill", but one rectangular stadium and another stadium with convertible seating for four teams with average crowds of between 10,000 and 20,000 ( and who knows for the new teams) "benefits the people of Victoria". Actually it benefits Rupert Murdoch, Geoff Lord, Harold Mitchell and a narrow assortment of other rich bastards.

It also benefits the personal agrandizement of the pollies who believe that because soccer is the global sport that they can build sporting and economic bridges to the Asian nations to our north, who both happen to be soccer mad and also our major trading partners.

The gall of it.

If you believe that ten clubs justifies three stadia, then surely four justifies one.

EVERY club in Victoria had their own stadium. In hindsight, they never should have moved.

And all of them apart from the MCG were small, dirty ,overcrowded,lacking parking and shithouse compared to todays!

This debate is about government funding for stadiums. If full government funding is justified for a stadium for 4 teams drawing average 15000 crowds, then full government funding is certainly justified for 3 stadiums for 9 teams averaging 40000 crowds. However the government contributed less than one sixth of the cost of the MCG and nil to Docklands, the rest being paid by our game. To square things up and make it fair. the government would need to pay off the MCG debt, buy out Etihad and build a new 30000 seat oval stadium ( preferably where Olympic Park now stands), but it's not as if our game will ever be treated fairly.
Oh and I love the way you say that although Olympic Park was not good enough for your game, our game should have continued to be played at the old suburban grounds like Glenferrie oval. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

Watching soccer at Etihad is like watching footy on a polo field.
With the seats configured for soccer, the views at Etihad are apparently fantastic, according to Kevin Muscat http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/being-close-to-fans-a-real-thrill-20091128-jy1m.html. So soccer gets to choose between one stadium paid for by the government and another paid for by the AFL and get subsidised rates at both.
I defy anyone to point to an AFL club with half as good a deal as Melbourne Victory.

This debate is about government funding for stadiums. If full government funding is justified for a stadium for 4 teams drawing average 15000 crowds, then full government funding is certainly justified for 3 stadiums for 9 teams averaging 40000 crowds. However the government contributed less than one sixth of the cost of the MCG and nil to Docklands, the rest being paid by our game. To square things up and make it fair. the government would need to pay off the MCG debt, buy out Etihad and build a new 30000 seat oval stadium ( preferably where Olympic Park now stands), but it's not as if our game will ever be treated fairly.
Oh and I love the way you say that although Olympic Park was not good enough for your game, our game should have continued to be played at the old suburban grounds like Glenferrie oval. Your arrogance knows no bounds.

The government contributed the VISY park redevelopment. The government contributed the Arden st redevelopment. The government contributed the Punt rd redevelopment. Guess who contributed to Kardinia park..... are you getting the picture?

If you're trying to claim that the gov has helped soccer, league and union more than AFL then you're dreaming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The government contributed the VISY park redevelopment. The government contributed the Arden st redevelopment. The government contributed the Punt rd redevelopment. Guess who contributed to Kardinia park..... are you getting the picture?

If you're trying to claim that the gov has helped soccer, league and union more than AFL then you're dreaming.
These are all small bickies in comparison- under $10m for training facilities and all up about $20m for Kardinia Park, compared with $280m for the new soccer and rugby stadium - are you getting the picture?

And still nowhere near as good as at an actual rectangular stadium.
But still better than the main soccer stadiums of many European and South American countries that share their facilities with athletics tracks. Nevertheless, in Victoria we had to build theTaj Mahal of soccer stadiums to satisfy the arrogant demands of the shrieking minority who follow that sport (and its private owners).

But still better than the main soccer stadiums of many European and South American countries that share their facilities with athletics tracks. Nevertheless, in Victoria we had to build theTaj Mahal of soccer stadiums to satisfy the arrogant demands of the shrieking minority who follow that sport (and its private owners).

Bitter much?
It is also the home of The Storm & the new Union team.
It will get plenty of use from fans who appreciate the skills of other athletes..

Im sure that you & plenty of other insular Victorians wouldl ove to build a fence around Vic ,to keep any other sport out.

Why dont you try to enjoy the diversity of other sports.

Bitter much?
It is also the home of The Storm & the new Union team.
It will get plenty of use from fans who appreciate the skills of other athletes..

Im sure that you & plenty of other insular Victorians wouldl ove to build a fence around Vic ,to keep any other sport out.

Why dont you try to enjoy the diversity of other sports.
I am quite happy to enjoy a diversity of sports including rugby (union) and soccer am very happy for others to do so as well, but I want those sports to pay a fair share of their own way and not get a free taxpayer funded ride when my preferred sport of football is dudded left right and centre when it comes to government funding.

I am quite happy to enjoy a diversity of sports including rugby (union) and soccer am very happy for others to do so as well, but I want those sports to pay a fair share of their own way and not get a free taxpayer funded ride when my preferred sport of football is dudded left right and centre when it comes to government funding.

Thought so, a Union man, that's why your constant hate posts on rugby league and particularly Melbourne Storm.
Thank goodness you are only a speck in the sand amongst Victorians, where so many enjoy all football codes.

Thought so, a Union man, that's why your constant hate posts on rugby league and particularly Melbourne Storm.
Thank goodness you are only a speck in the sand amongst Victorians, where so many enjoy all football codes.
I'm hardly a union man - I've been to 3 tests. What has always amused me is the cannibalistic way rugby people of both codes hate each other with such a passion. I certainly don't hate league the way you hate union, but it does seem to me to be "rugby lite" or "rugby for dummies".
If both rugby codes can survive in Melbourne, good for them, but do it with your own money and don't ask the taxpayer to fund your operations.

Mmmm. so the current millions that all level of governments are pumping into training facilities at North Melbourne, Carlton or the Western Bulldogs is not a fair share?

Not to mention a donation of a prime peice of land in the Docklands to build a stadium that will ultimately be owned by the AFL without outlaying a cent.

Rugby League, Union and Soccer were entitled to receive funding for a purpose built stadium just like the AFL clubs have been happy to put their hands out for funds to improve their training facilities.

DST
:D

Mmmm. so the current millions that all level of governments are pumping into training facilities at North Melbourne, Carlton or the Western Bulldogs is not a fair share?

Not to mention a donation of a prime peice of land in the Docklands to build a stadium that will ultimately be owned by the AFL without outlaying a cent.

Rugby League, Union and Soccer were entitled to receive funding for a purpose built stadium just like the AFL clubs have been happy to put their hands out for funds to improve their training facilities.

DST
:D
Jesus mate fair go ....rational posts are frowned upon by the insular AFL fans.

Jesus mate fair go ....rational posts are frowned upon by the insular AFL fans.
If it was a rational post. You can't compare docklands a fully private funded stadium that needed the AFL on board before it was to be built, to a free tax-payer funded stadium with cosy deals for the tenants. You could add up all the funding by state government on the the AFL clubs over the last 10 years and it would not come close to the $300m this stadium costs

I'm all for the rectangular stadium it's been sorely missing but should of at least been 50% funded by the tenants and/or their governing bodies not by us (and when I say us I don't mean you as you don't even live here.

Why do you keep referring to the Taj Mahal? It's more like a rectangular Colosseum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stadium deals: the winners are soccer and rugby

Remove this Banner Ad

Back