Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

Rugby League is a terrible sport.

Tried many times to like it.

Never worked.

Throw the ball backwards, run about 5-10 metres, get tackled by a Neanderthal or 7.

Boring. One dimensional.

And no, the biffo doesn’t cut it for me and many people either.

Not jealous at all.

I don't think there are any other sports that do a State of Origin thing.

The NBA is ready to bin their All Star game as no one wants it. The MLB one is just a hit and giggle.

State of Origin is weirdly unique.

The only reason it works is because NSW and Queensland hate each other. That in itself is just weird. No one in Victoria under the age of 70 hates another state.

The concept of the best players putting on an exhibition game is great. The best of the best going at each other is awesome in theory. But to work, they need to be trying their guys out.

And that is the issue.

To be honest, I love rugby league, but whilst the Origin game is entertaining, my overwhelming feeling when I watch it is one of cringe. I just can't work out for the life of me why they care about beating another state so much. It's hilarious.
I barrack for NSW. Not because I particularly care about them winning but living in Queensland and seeing how the locals get so worked up about it as if it's a matter of life or death it's always funny to see them lose.

I'll start this thread but saying I follow both codes but like Aussie rules more and last might was the only origin game this year I have watched.

Watching last night and what a great contest it was made me really jealous and upset that we don't have origin.

Question for those that watched last does it make you upset/jealous or have you just accepted it's gone and you just enjoy it in another sport for the contest it is?
Wednesdays game (first half especially) was some of the best Rugby League played in 30 years.

Wednesdays game (first half especially) was some of the best Rugby League played in 30 years.

I started to despair a little as Queensland lost focus and played the man not the ball later in the game. They got sucked in and it cost them. Early on when they channeled their aggression into their actual defence it was outstanding to watch and agreed, it was as intense as anything I’ve seen in ages, particularly in the post shoulder-charge era.

I love both codes equally. For all the petty sledges that one side can make about the other, there’s one that comes straight back and to me as someone who watches them equally and always has, neither make any sense. Both require a huge amount of skill of differing types, and an enormous amount of courage again maybe not the same kinds of courage but courage all the same. They are both brutal sports.

What legitimised SOO from a league standpoint was what happened in the very first game and it may not have taken off if it didn’t - and as thuggish as it was, it was the moment Arthur Beetson thumped Mick Cronin. They were teammates at Parramatta and as far as I’m aware there was absolutely no bad blood between them but once they were in different jerseys on that field it obviously meant the world to Beetson to be able to represent his home state having previously only represented NSW having played there in the Sydney comp. It instantly made it more than an exhibition and from that moment on it’s carried a level of seriousness that goes beyond an exhibition game that won’t change. It’s happened many times since. Danny Moore and John Hopoate swinging at each other like rusty gates was another example. They literally played side by side in the same Manly backline at wing and centre.

The AFL fan in me doesn’t think AFL needs anything like it though. It has plenty of its own uniqueness, its derbies and showdowns, its big 4 rivalries, the Kennett Curse rivalry etc, the feature games, and the simple fact is that it’s not a game that lends itself anymore to that sort of hatred to make itself tick.

They both have their place.

my neighbour told me the same thing re first half - so i watched it and i was bored half way thru. got to half time and turned off replay

if thats as good as it gets, well, just not for me i guess

my neighbour told me the same thing re first half - so i watched it and i was bored half way thru. got to half time and turned off replay

if thats as good as it gets, well, just not for me i guess

A non-boxing fan isn’t going to watch Hearns-Hagler and suddenly become enamoured with the sport just because in the eyes of boxing fans it was some of the most captivating exchanges ever seen in modern fighting I guess so it’s in the eye of the beholder but yes even as someone who’s interest in SOO due to the media bullshit and the general decline of the physicality and the standard in recent years has slipped, it was a step up.

I’m not jealous of Origin, it’s a great thing for Rugby because the season can be a bit dry comparatively.

I am jealous however that they let the players play, the rules are clear and understood and the NRL doesn’t come across as a league ran by lawyers & politicians who want to Americanise the sport for profit.

Watching Origin compared to the week the AFL had was night and day, it put the entire sport into question despite the fact this cancer has been growing for almost 20 years.

their origin games are 3 of their 4 biggest games of the year,maybe even their top 3 if there is no dead rubber,we have at least 3 games every week in our regular season that are bigger and more important than any state of origin will ever be

another thing is you can all see who i follow,well i live overseas & i developed a policy long ago where i do as fewer things as possible that can get me into trouble,i dont do stupid substances anywhere,i avoid confrontations at all costs,with the exception of someone blowing that vape garbage near me,i dont drive or ride & i stay single and keep my relationships down to 3 hours at a time preferably,unless she has come from afar

back to who i follow,i adopt a similar policy,if we lose a flag i dont the hell want it to be because one of our best players broke his ass playing state of origin,now that might not matter so much to all you guys with double figure flags to your clubs name,but we cant afford that

dont miss it
dont want it
stick it up your you know what

AFL State of Origin had it's heyday for about half a dozen or so years in the 80s. It wasn't a soft NBA All Star type contest, it was every bit as brutal as the NRL State of Origin.

It's run it's course, there's no place for it in the AFL anymore, meanwhile I hope NSW and Qld continue to give us what they put on, on Wednesday night for many, many years to come.

No I'm over it now. Not sure how it would work now anyway. Wouldn't watch Vic's versus an all star team.

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Does watching rugby league origin make you jealous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back