Standard of Umpiring...

Remove this Banner Ad

mikben said:
Are you complaining? 28 to 16
That free kick paid to Glass near the start pretty much overules all others. That was pathetic. Simpson on Phil wasn't good either.

The umpires were a joke tonight and I mean that for both sides. It was just terrible. They can't even bounce the ball properly.
Thompson was held all night yet at other parts of the ground a touch on the shoulder was a push. It was just a case of umpires who most probably have never played a game in their life and don't understand what the rules are all about.
Surely after watching this game the law makers must rethink and throw the ball up. At one stage nearly every center bounce went left of screen . Rovers were starting to stand there because they knew the idiot couldn't bounce straight.

mikben said:
Are you complaining? 28 to 16

[SARCASM] OMFG! I had't looked at the free kick stats!! Man we got it easy! You guys were ripped off big time! My opinion has changed now that I've seen the hard figures! [/SARCASM]

:rolleyes: I really can't believe people still base the umpiring on the free kick stats alone.

Just so you know, I think both sides were butt r*ped tonight. Which made the umpiring pretty even :)

Yep the umpiring was most definately terrible. They paid things that weren't there and didn't look twice when a free kick was deserved. For both sides too, even though the Roos got more. I've come to expect bad umpiring though, at any Roos games..

Umpiring tonight was aweful. Why can't they just let them play without interfering every minute? Countless number of pathetic frees payed, and why when BOTH players are holding, they pull out a free? Their interpretation of the advantage rule is terrible. Juts a joke, not to mention their ability to bounce the ball....

The umpring was crap for both sides.

I just wanted to see good umpiring for both sides, the players on both sides were very frustrated with the crap decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The bit of play at the end of the game which I thought was paid a mark to Jones (which I was filthy about) was actually paid for a free to High? What the **ck?
And to show that I aint saying that in a biased way, why wasn't Rawlings penalised for holding the ball and we got a free ?(3rd quarter against Jud)

Honestly the standard of umpiring has hit an all time low.

When Petrie got a free late in the game for a push in the back I was screaming as hard as I was when a free is given against us. It is terribly poor.

Just to point out, the ch9 commentators were going on about how judd shouldn't have been penalised for a a push in the back against rawlings, but on the replay it showed Judd with two hands firmly in his back. It was fairly soft, but given the umpiring to that point... I honestly thought it was there, or is that within the rules?? Judd managed to spin Rawlings around like a ragdoll, but it was still two hands in the back which, AFAIK, is a free. Whats the rule?

Drummond said:
Umpiring tonight was aweful. Why can't they just let them play without interfering every minute? Countless number of pathetic frees payed, and why when BOTH players are holding, they pull out a free? Their interpretation of the advantage rule is terrible. Juts a joke, not to mention their ability to bounce the ball....

Thanx for coming on Drummond. You say it with no bias. I agree whole heartedly and wish to add if I may >>> I just can't understand how #17, Stuart Wren?? holds his spot. Rates as one of the worst. Not based on tonight mind you. Just keep watching him. He has very little idea. Overall I wasn't impressed. The game was Good, Bad & Ugly and the umpiring just added salt into wounds that weren't even stratches. The AFL once again have to extract a digit and WAKE UP and SEE WHAT IDIOTS (not all umpires are idiots but they bring the whole game down to a shallow level of 'bibs & skirts') I would be saying likewise had we even won>> but really do we need to watch games butchered at the 'highest F***** level' ????

KingyOrTheKing said:
When Petrie got a free late in the game for a push in the back I was screaming as hard as I was when a free is given against us. It is terribly poor.

Just to point out, the ch9 commentators were going on about how judd shouldn't have been penalised for a a push in the back against rawlings, but on the replay it showed Judd with two hands firmly in his back. It was fairly soft, but given the umpiring to that point... I honestly thought it was there, or is that within the rules?? Judd managed to spin Rawlings around like a ragdoll, but it was still two hands in the back which, AFAIK, is a free. Whats the rule?

The Petrie fall forward / push was laughable but if the ump is on the wrong angle it looks so damn hard not to determine a push. Petrie is as much as a AFL standard player as much as the umpiring is AFL standard (tonight).
Abit harsh perhaps but I think many ppl may agree than not.

The second >> push by Judd, from my angle >> looked like a push but the umpires can only call what they see from thier angle. These decisions are 'educated guesses' which goes to show what happens when you trying to find a free and take a 'guess' without getting in the right position. Tough gig the umpiring caper.

KangaMan said:
Goals from Free Kicks: 3 all
50m penatlies: WCE 2 Kang 1

that tells the story!

its hard to judge by 50m penalties. Petrie missed that one in the last. I thought the 50's were warrented. It was more the marking contest and holding the ball decisions which were poor.

Arden said:
I am aware that the umpires were ********poor both ways tonight, but I want to question one decision. How could they pay that mark to Matera in the last quarter, when it bounced off his chest, then Pratt ripped it away on the second juggle?

Have you not watched footy this year? Anything is possible with Gieschen's clowns running the games.
Perhaps because Matera is so short they thought it was modified rules! :eek:

KingyOrTheKing said:

well when you tackle, it is legal if you spin the man so he lands on his side. judd pushed rawlings so he turned side on. its pretty contentious, not sure on the exact rule. it was complicated by the fact that rawlings dropped the ball and had prior oppourtunity.

scottywiper said:
Have you not watched footy this year? Anything is possible with Gieschen's clowns running the games.
Perhaps because Matera is so short they thought it was modified rules! :eek:

I thought I'd been watching footy, but it's becoming more and more obvious to me that I've been watching netball. If that was "control", I'll eat my hat.

And I think the umps confused Matera with an Auskick player, and that is definitely a mark in under 6's.

We should institute a team rule - under NO circumstances do you EVER talk to those maggots during a game. Do NOT when things are going well engage them in chit chat. Do NOT feel important when one of those turkeys calls you Arch or Boomer or Spud. Do NOT when a free kick is paid against you open your mouth in their direction. Twice tonight we gave away important 50s, from backchatting those .....

FFS get into the habit of not talking to them UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It is simply not worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard of Umpiring...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back