'Standing room' ticket, anyone have an insight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Better these days than it was when the under 18's and reserves played their GFs as curtain raisers. Had to get in by 8am to get a decent spot in the standing room areas.

Last year my mates only got standing room tickets, and they enjoyed the pregame festivities outside the G up until 1pm, then entered the ground and found the standing room areas in the Olympic Stand (M55/56) virtually empty. They were full by 2pm though.

I did standing room in both 2010 (draw) and 2011 with my dad.
We got to the G at about 8:00am and waited at the front of the gates until they opened (a few hours later). As others have said the standing room is behind the bay, you will definitely want to get front row spots if you intend on seeing the game itself. They do have TVs showing the game overhead as well.

Once the gates open (I forget what time) I suggest you bolt for your standing bay to get to the front. you will be standing around for a few hours so I suggest using this time to get to know the people around you. Take turns in the beer runs, guarding spots for toilet breaks etc.
Overall they were amazing days apart from the result.

I would definitely recommend standing room for a GF but IMO front row spots are a must. The atmosphere is unreal in the standing bays and the noise just about blows the roof off when a goal is kicked, I nearly went deaf when Cloke kicked a goal with minutes remaining in 2010 then turned and hugged a complete stranger I only met a few hours prior.

BTW here is a photo of standing room from 2015. You can just see the back of my head.

hhq2.png

Take care of any kids in the area - let them stand up the front. You'll be able to see over them anyway (BTW the karma bus can hit you - a Geelong supporter in my area obstinately refused to give up their spot on the fence for some kids in 2008 and look what happened ;))
OMFG I am going to find that person and kill them.

I did standing room at the '07 and '08 grannies. Don't expect a great view because the top of the stand will come over the top - but do expect a great atmosphere. (I've also done standing room at Kardinia a few times)

When you arrive depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'7, so for the GFs, for me it was worth getting in early - real early. On that note, if someone's super-short (like a kid), let them to the front, don't be a douchebag. Equally, if you're over six foot, don't set up in the front of standing room and, again, be a douchebag.

Particularly if you're going by yourself, be friendly and considerate. If you feel like a beer or some greasies, offer to do a beer/chips run for the people next to you. They'll look after your spot when you need a wee later. Besides, the camaraderie of standing room is a major upside. Be nice to opposition supporters.

Do be assertive if someone barges in front of you late and blocks your view - particularly if you're short. I remember one day at Kardinia sitting down at half-time on a rug with a mate and this tall elderly couple decided to take the front half of the step. Game ruined - we regretted not saying anything.

Had a seat for 97 and 98 GF.

In 98 we went and stood after half time, unreal atmosphere.

A lot older now but will probably head down to standing areas in the last quarter - just the best atmosphere (helps being tall)

How tall are you ? if you're not tall you need to get in early and save your spot. If you;'re tall enough 6"2 plus you can just find a decent bay and move around the back watching through gaps.

You will be given a specific bay on your ticket but no one checks so if you cant get there early move around and find a bay with less people.

The view isn't ideal but the atmosphere makes up for it. I've never hugged so many strangers as i did in 2008.

I'm with you on that. Would rather get a top down perspective and watch where the players run and how the game opens up.

Yeah, I mean whilst I'm still relatively young and have good eyesight I love the tactical view.

I appreciate that the atmosphere is typically better on the lower level, but in a sold out arena it makes no difference. I was row CC behind the goals in the Ponsford on Saturday and the atmosphere was as great as I've ever seen it at the G.

How tall are you ? if you're not tall you need to get in early and save your spot. If you;'re tall enough 6"2 plus you can just find a decent bay and move around the back watching through gaps.
A tad under 6 foot. So that kinda puts me in no mans land doesn't it? Not short enough to warrant the front, not tall enough to be at the back and have a good view.

Did standing room in 2011. It's ok, not as good as a seat but still miles better than not being there at all. There are issues with seeing the ball when it is kicked high, and trying to get comfortable with 30 other people around you.
If you are by yourself, get there early and make friends with other people there and ask them to hold your spot if you have to go for food or a piss.

A tad under 6 foot. So that kinda puts me in no mans land doesn't it? Not short enough to warrant the front, not tall enough to be at the back and have a good view.
I reckon that puts you in a good spot - you'll be taller than 3/4s of the crowd, but not so tall that everyone will shout at you if you don't immediately head to the back row ;)

I love standing room. I'll take standing over level 4 seats any day. In 2011 I had a guy who was at the back of level 4 offer me his seat if I wanted as he preferred standing. You honestly cant beat the atmosphere and high 5s.

Downside is seeing the ball kicked high is hard but you can tell if it's a goal due to the crowd. You can easily see the whole ground you are literally 1m behind the rear seats.

If your short I suggest get there early as it can be hard to see but being over 6 foot I happily let some shorter women stand in front of me who struggled to see.

I love standing room. I'll take standing over level 4 seats any day. In 2011 I had a guy who was at the back of level 4 offer me his seat if I wanted as he preferred standing. You honestly cant beat the atmosphere and high 5s.
This is the one point I might make - if you've got a seat and you prefer "the atmosphere" of standing, try to do a ticket swap instead of just clogging up standing room. Space is at a bit of a premium of GF day.

Most standing room bays are terraced (ie they have steps) and it's actually not that super important to be at the front / have a good spot. You can see well from right up them.

I personally wouldn't be too fussed about about getting there super early and trying to stake out a spot and then not move at all. You'll just be uncomfortable. You'll generally be able to find a decent view in your bay or one of the surrounding ones and be fine.

One thing I would not recommend is taking kids. They simply won't be able to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Standing room during a GF is amazing. Would be amazing x10 if it's your team that wins. Everyone around you is celebrating and dancing and jumping around and it's like a moshpit. Was among Bulldogs fans last year and Cats in 2009.

You can get there at the bounce and still be "amongst it", and slowly work your way through to the front. Better to get there early though and if you're alone, be prepared to lose your "spot" if you move.

The option if you get there late is to keep an eye on the bays for any spare seats. If you see one that isn't occupied, asking the people around politely if you can sit there, just explain you're standing room but you're alone. I wouldnt care and would let someone take a spare seat near me but some people are a-holes and might kick up a stink because you haven't paid that bit extra for a seat, withoit them realising just how hard it is to get a seat.

Agree with last post. If on your own you should be able to slip into a seat. Easy at quarter time - just buy three beers and sit where there was a gap. Offer your new neighbours a beer. There is a very friendly vibe at the GF.

Agree with last post. If on your own you should be able to slip into a seat. Easy at quarter time - just buy three beers and sit where there was a gap. Offer your new neighbours a beer. There is a very friendly vibe at the GF.
Also ask the others in standing room if anyone has a seated ticket

Dad and I were both in standing in 2007 because I was in standing and he had a seat.

I did standing room in both 2010 (draw) and 2011 with my dad.
We got to the G at about 8:00am and waited at the front of the gates until they opened (a few hours later). As others have said the standing room is behind the bay, you will definitely want to get front row spots if you intend on seeing the game itself. They do have TVs showing the game overhead as well.

Once the gates open (I forget what time) I suggest you bolt for your standing bay to get to the front. you will be standing around for a few hours so I suggest using this time to get to know the people around you. Take turns in the beer runs, guarding spots for toilet breaks etc.
Overall they were amazing days apart from the result.

I would definitely recommend standing room for a GF but IMO front row spots are a must. The atmosphere is unreal in the standing bays and the noise just about blows the roof off when a goal is kicked, I nearly went deaf when Cloke kicked a goal with minutes remaining in 2010 then turned and hugged a complete stranger I only met a few hours prior.

---------------------

I was there too - for the replay :). And yes a group of strangers banded well together to allow breaks,
:)

---------------------

I was there too - for the replay :). And yes a group of strangers banded well together to allow breaks,
:)

As an interstate supporter I don't get to many games but I was amazed at how friendly everyone was to each other. Someone brought their young child (would have been no older than 6) and wouldn't have been able to see a thing. So we sat the young child up on railings at the front while dad was stuck at the back.

It's important to note some of them are in really shitty positions where if you don't get in early your view of part of the ground (sometimes the goals) will be obstructed by a concrete pylon. I watched the first half of the 2005 GF like this. Was still one of the best days of my life though.

I'm wondering the same thing. People have said to get in early to secure a spot, but then do you just not go to the toilet for 4 hours?
Stood up the entire 2010 replay after getting there at 10:30-11 when the gates opened. Moved once before the game to go to the toilet and luckily kept my spot at the very front. Worst day of my life

5,000 standing spaces are allocated in the ground's official capacity according to the MCC/MCG.

I had standing room at the 2011 GF. We were right at the back of the bottom level behind the goals. Literally couldn't see half the ground and couldn't hear anything from outside our area.

Still worth it. On the plus side, we couldn't hear Meatloaf at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

'Standing room' ticket, anyone have an insight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back