#StandUpForRough: 2nd minute, 2nd quarter, Friday Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2 cents...

1. Rough's not dead.

2. Save it for his triumphant return.
I see it more as a show of support. No one's writing him off but the fans need a way to show solidarity and support for the great man. It'll be an emotional minute at the ground I suspect.

The club have asked for there not to be any mention of it on the banner so the players can focus on the game and coz Roughy probably doesn't want the attention. For that reason I'm not sure the applause is such a good idea.

Personally I think today's terrible news has put everything into perspective. I'll be there Friday night & regardless of what's going on in the field of play I hope to be cheering our boys on as loudly as I can. If it's for 4 seconds or 4 quarters I'll do what feels right. Win, lose or draw I reckon most will do the same. It's an emotional game at the best of times. Friday will be an emotional evening, & we'll do what all families do in a time of crisis .... get around each other & lift our spirits. It won't be choreographed it will just occur spontaneously. #Always

My 2 cents...

1. Rough's not dead.

2. Save it for his triumphant return.

1. Should we leave it until he's dead then? (I know it's crude but I'm sure you get the point)

2. I admire the positivity but what if the worst were to happen and he retired? Chance missed to show him what he means to us.

Was logging in to post this idea and someone beat me to it. I think it's a fantastic gesture.

Can someone post on all the Hawks' Facebook updates this idea to generate some buzz. I'd do it but I'm banned from posting on Hawks FB posts (long story - called people whingers once).

Think its a wonderful idea, of course it should be open house for the Swans supporters to take part as well - everyone is on the same team when it comes to supporting a guy like Rough, hopefully the idea can get enough coverage to get the word out, even some of the news outlets might be interested in running a story on it

Was logging in to post this idea and someone beat me to it. I think it's a fantastic gesture.

Can someone post on all the Hawks' Facebook updates this idea to generate some buzz. I'd do it but I'm banned from posting on Hawks FB posts (long story - called people whingers once).
Stupid idea

I think this is a nice idea and would love to see it get off the ground. If someone is on twitter probably best to tweet the hashtag and idea to the club.

Similar occurs regularly in soccer. The players are professionals and play 120 minutes. 1 minute of applause for someone and their family in need is not going to be a distraction. It would be an inspiration.

2nd minute of the 1st or 2nd quarter would be perfect. Preferably of the 1st quarter would be best! Early on in the game followed by a 'rrrrroooouuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhyyyyyyy' chant! I think its a fantastic idea to support the big rough, his family and the HAWTHORN family which is all of us!!

One for all, all for one.

For what it's worth the thinking behind the second quarter, apart from it being another way to represent Rough's guernsey number, is that at the 2nd minute of the first quarter there might still be a fair few stragglers getting to the game. Nobody is yet settled.

Second quarter everyone is there, everyone has come back to their seats from the toilets, food stalls, bars, etc. Everyone is settled into the game and ready to go.

They were my thoughts anyway.

All that being said if everyone is keener on the first minute I'll just change the thread title. It doesn't really matter when too much as long as we're all on the same wavelength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For what it's worth the thinking behind the second quarter, apart from it being another way to represent Rough's guernsey number, is that at the 2nd minute of the first quarter there might still be a fair few stragglers getting to the game. Nobody is yet settled.

Second quarter everyone is there, everyone has come back to their seats from the toilets, food stalls, bars, etc. Everyone is settled into the game and ready to go.
This. For various reasons on a friday night there are 10-15% more people at the start of the 2nd quarter than the first bounce.

I too love the idea but think it will be a bit awkward if for example Buddy marks it inside 50 and we end up giving him a standing ovation. Perhaps it could be done pre game, 2 minutes before the bounce.

I like the "Roooooughhhhhyyyyyy" chant idea. Would sound better with the whole stadium doing it rather than clapping.

This seems like a better idea! Hopefully the boys can dig deep and get the win for Rough and then with about 2mins remaining in the game start up the 'Roooooughhhhyyyy' chant! (Get the whole crowd involved like the 'Cyril' chant from the Grandfinal). This would show that this win is for the big Rough and that we are all thinking about him!

I just think in the first quarter at the 2nd minute mark the cheer squad starts a chant of roughy and then the rest of the crowd joins in

JARRYD Roughead and the Hawthorn Football Club are overwhelmed with the messages of support and well wishes that have been received from the Hawthorn family and wider AFL community.

This is an extremely difficult time for Jarryd and his family, but the positive is the recurrence has been picked up early and Jarryd is in the best hands possible.

The club understands that Jarryd is a much loved member of the football community and that people are keen to show their support to Jarryd and his family at this time.

Jarryd has expressed to the club his desire for business as usual and as such we have developed an avenue for fans to show their support which is reflective of his wishes.

Hawthorn is asking all members of the Hawthorn family and wider football community to show their support for Jarryd by entering a message of support via the club website (see below).

These messages will be collated into a book and gifted to Jarryd in the coming weeks.

GM – Football Operations – Chris Fagan said the message book was the perfect way to offer support to Jarryd at this time.

“Jarryd is a man of little fuss and is incredibly humbled by the many suggestions that have been flowing in with regards to ways for fans to show support at this time.

“We feel this is the perfect way to gather the many well wishes flowing in for Jarryd.

“It’s a great opportunity for everyone in the footy world to get around Roughy and look after him and his family.”

Jarryd and the club are very appreciative of your message and we thank you for taking the time to show your support.

http://bit.ly/SupportJR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back