State of origin 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game, best origin in a while.

Gidley was close to our best, before those stupid mistakes in the last 10 minutes.

Wallace and Campese were poor

Creagh was supurb, so was hayne.

Lewis and wing very good off the bench
bring on game 2

Gidley was close to our best, before those stupid mistakes in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah apart from...

a) His terrible positioning for Slater's try

b) His attempt at stopping Thurston's try

Yep he was fantastic:confused:

Christ if we weren't bad enough ourselves with the fumbling and dropping the ball, but the refs pretty much kicked our arses as well. Some of those decisions were disgraceful, clearly they were on the take.

Oh well, if we carry that 2nd half form to Sydney we will win, we looked quick in the 2nd half and dangerous. It was only 10 minutes of play in the first half that buried us.

We will bounce back.

Just got back from the game and from what I saw, every try to NSW was due to luck. They set the standard at the start going for 2pts when they should have attacked the line. Think the score line flattered them until Boyd got over. Probably would have got a lot out of that game though and regarding the next one, well, who knows. I'd like a NSW win so the third game will be alive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest question above, no trolling. Can anyone tell me why its called a try and not a success? Doesnt make sense?

Back in the mid-19th century Rugby was still a kicking game. You could only score points by kicking a goal. When the ball went out of bounds behind the goal line the side that touched it first would get to kick it back in.

If the attacking team got there first they would invariably kick it to a player in good position who would mark the ball and take a kick at goal.

Over time they decided to do away with the kick-in and the attacking team was allowed to have an automatic "try for goal" from in line with where they touched the ball down.

As time went by Rugby developed into a running game and the officials decided to award points for the "try". Teams would then get the chance to "convert" the "try" into more points. At this stage goals were still worth more points than a try.

In the past century the number of points awarded for tries has steadily gone up to reflect their importance in the game. The change was gradual so the name stayed the same - as a result the term "try" remains to this day.

Glad the Mods. got hold of that last post:D Merkin!

Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere was fantastic.
Queensland are a classy side with great talent in their side, but NSW with that game under their belt should be really competitive in Game 2 and seeing its being played at ANZ Stadium have a good chance of winning.

Anyone watched the game on tv?
Bet Ch.9 went to their next programme as soon as the game finished:rolleyes:
Who got Man of the Match?

Glad the Mods. got hold of that last post:D Merkin!

Really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere was fantastic.
Queensland are a classy side with great talent in their side, but NSW with that game under their belt should be really competitive in Game 2 and seeing its being played at ANZ Stadium have a good chance of winning.

Anyone watched the game on tv?
Bet Ch.9 went to their next programme as soon as the game finished:rolleyes:
Who got Man of the Match?

I just breezed through the replay on iQ and yep, they departed the scene right away. Apparently Victorians aren't interested in any sort of post-match analysis. Interesting.

I just breezed through the replay on iQ and yep, they departed the scene right away. Apparently Victorians aren't interested in any sort of post-match analysis. Interesting.

Thought so about ch.9:D

At least we got the game live here in Melb. and for that we are so grateful. Doubt it we get it live again for game 2 though.

Queenslander!!!!!!!!

Best post in this thread :thumbsu:

Watta game. I thought NSW we're gonna take it there.

Untill Gidley f**ked up. Watta n00b :p

Hayne was great tonight. Such a dangerous player.

Gonna be a good game next time round.

Not that I really want to get into an argument... but I don't mind when people (i.e. Victorians, generally) call Rugby league "Rugby" as the league variety has just as much right to be called "Rugby" as Rugby union does... English Rugby league fans call their game "Rugby" all the time and in France both games are primarily known as Rugby as well (i.e. "Rugby a Treize" and "Rugby a Quinze").

I HATE it when Victorians say "Rugby" when they are meaning "rugby league". It drives me up the wall. and what I hate even more is that you correct them they look at you as if to say "as it it matters". Well if you understood why the games split & the different demographics of the two codes you'd understand why it matters.

Still if it means 18000+ Victorians attend the Storm game on Friday night, then I'd accept it, begrudgingly. :rolleyes::thumbsu:

JF

That first try the NSW coach / players / supporters claim it was one , well it wasnt .
I watched the replay and you see the players foot touch the sideline twice when running to score the try .I then took out the colour of the tv to watch the try again and you see the players feet more clearly touching the sideline twice.Harrigan got it right .

Folau was born in NSW. I got a whole stack of them.

half the QLD team werent born in QLD!

Surely that isn't the best side NSW can pick. If it is, won't be winning a series for a while.

of course it isnt but they had to change things up and to be honest i liked the look of them. If a few things went their way things could have been very different. Credit to NSW for taking a dip and trying something. Too many people were getting in on rep and not delivering.

In regards to Hayne's disallowed try, his foot touched the line so it was no try. Fair to say the mrs stormed out after Slater scored and i was on the couch which followed a 5 min lashing about your not NSW or QLD so who the fk am i to barrack for QLD and so on. NSW girls are very passionate :D

Cant wait to hear from Robert Finch about the Hayne no try....1000 looks at it..he had some doubt either way...press the benefit of the doubt button you douche harrigan! :mad::mad::mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

State of origin 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back