State of Origin State of Origin Discussion thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope not. Just the thought of him commentating a Melbourne game makes me want to throw up. Ch 9 needs some fresh blood, ideally people that aren't ex players. Need Vossy back badly.

Smith is fine. No bottom lip quivering when his team lost unlike Vautin, Lockyer, Johns, Gall and Gould. Was very impressed with the way he spoke and analysed the game afterwards. Loved the way he shut down Vautin about the penalty count.

I'd be happy enough with Morgan in the centres too- he did a job in game 3 last year. Gagai is the more logical suggestion though. Look I just don't see the point in Chambers, he always has at least 3-4 brain explosions a game and his other parts of his game don't make up for it. Just tonight we had 2 dumb kicks, he was just lucky the first one ended up with a goal drop out). The 2nd one was on the 3rd tackle...

I just think we have to be realistic for a second. We aren't winning this series. Lets use it to get a few games into Ponga among others.

The other thing I'll say is that if Ben Hunt was fit I'll be shocked. Wasn't near fit enough. Don't get me wrong he was trying his backside off but he wasn't taking the line on much and that is his number 1 asset.

I’d be extremely reluctant to write this series off considering that we probably dominated 40 minutes of that game, lost it due to a really poor 5 minute period, despite nsw conceding 1 penalty and 4 errors (one of which came 2 minutes from full time.

I’d be extremely reluctant to write this series off considering that we probably dominated 40 minutes of that game, lost it due to a really poor 5 minute period, despite nsw conceding 1 penalty and 4 errors (one of which came 2 minutes from full time.

If we were ever going to beat a side with 11 new faces it was this one. We won't get close until some calls are made, not playing Ponga was the safe call....it failed. He should have played. Ponga might have been the difference you never know, Milford was such a waste of space, that's 2 Origins the bloke has been gifted.

If we were ever going to beat a side with 11 new faces it was this one. We won't get close until some calls are made, not playing Ponga was the safe call....it failed. He should have played. Ponga might have been the difference you never know, Milford was such a waste of space, that's 2 Origins the bloke has been gifted.

And he never got the chance when he was arguably the most dangerous running half in the competition. Swings and roundabouts. Harsh to judge a bloke on 18 minutes of footy chasing a game.

I’d be amazed if nsw complete all but 3 sets and are somehow disciplined enough to concede just one penalty in either of the next two games. Tighten the defence, be smarter with the ball and we are every chance. But I would like to see Ponga there

Hope not. Just the thought of him commentating a Melbourne game makes me want to throw up. Ch 9 needs some fresh blood, ideally people that aren't ex players. Need Vossy back badly.

leave him on fox thanks. means I don't have to watch any of that FTA crap that is on

As well as Morgan played at FB, Ponga should've played there. Naturally gifted.
The big difference between good coaches and great coaches is seeing that and acting on it. Him playing could've been the difference.

In my opinion, tonight just didn't seem to have the same atmosphere as all of the previous games that have been down here.

Still a good result seeing those toads lose though.

And he never got the chance when he was arguably the most dangerous running half in the competition. Swings and roundabouts. Harsh to judge a bloke on 18 minutes of footy chasing a game.

I’d be amazed if nsw complete all but 3 sets and are somehow disciplined enough to concede just one penalty in either of the next two games. Tighten the defence, be smarter with the ball and we are every chance. But I would like to see Ponga there

That’s 18 minutes Milford shouldn’t have had. Tell me we couldn’t have played Ponga if the plan was to give him 15-20mins. Would benefit our side immensely long term. Milford is hardly in form anyway Brisbane are barely in the 8 and I go for them!

Changes:

Out: Chambers,Milford, Wallace

In: Oates, Ponga, Scott

Reasons:

- Oates is the form winger he has to be there
- Ponga for the future and X factor
- Scott as we need some more go forward. Wallace would be the unlucky one purely a structural change.

Good contest, deserved win for NSW. Maloney and Tedesco excellent, and despite the reservations, Morgan did well at full-back for QLD.

That’s 18 minutes Milford shouldn’t have had. Tell me we couldn’t have played Ponga if the plan was to give him 15-20mins. Would benefit our side immensely long term. Milford is hardly in form anyway Brisbane are barely in the 8 and I go for them!

Changes:

Out: Chambers,Milford, Wallace

In: Oates, Ponga, Scott

Reasons:

- Oates is the form winger he has to be there
- Ponga for the future and X factor
- Scott as we need some more go forward. Wallace would be the unlucky one purely a structural change.

I would bring Scott in for Wallace but I don’t think we had any issue with go forward. We worked it out of our own end far easier than the blues. Minus the repeated line breaks of course....

I would bring Scott in for Wallace but I don’t think we had any issue with go forward. We worked it out of our own end far easier than the blues. Minus the repeated line breaks of course....

The post contact metres we got hammered in though. It’s a fairly telling stat Klemmer especially was immense in that regard early. Think Scott could help there. We need Oates in the side too.

Imo it was a great game if origin footy, nsw were better on the night. QLD looked a little like the NSW sides of the past few years, a little rattled and no real attacking structure.

Nsw needs to stick with that team even the guys that didn’t play stand out games (Roberts, Cleary) they were solid and will gain a lot of knowledge and confidence.

Qld needs to make some changes, Morgan was good but he should be the utility Ponga in (unless slater comes up alright and can play) we missed Smith so so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion, tonight just didn't seem to have the same atmosphere as all of the previous games that have been down here.

Still a good result seeing those toads lose though.

It seemed to be more a neutral crowd this year. Perhaps with all the Storm stars not playing for Queensland.

Ash Taylor career kicking percentage: 67%.
Val Holmes career kicking percentage: 72%.

That surprises me. Taylor just seems a more natural goal kicker and usually (not always) the more natural kickers are more successful long term. Happy to be wrong and if Holmes kicks as well as he did last night we won’t need to change. I’m not convinced yet though. None of QLD’s options are Maloney or Cleary class in goal kicking though.

Ahhh I would disagree, he was great defensively but our offense had no structure and organistation from the play the ball.

As a first game he did well. Gave the ball to the halves, defended well, had a few darts at the line. He's not Smith but no-one is. He was the least of our worries.

Considering my point was we missed Smith...

I don’t think there is a better option but he wasn’t good, Compare him to Cook and it’s obvious he wasn’t good

They are different hookers, actually gave him a 7/10 last night and I'm usually extremely harsh. Cook was lucky (and he's a gun) to get to have tired defences late in halves. We don't have a hooker like that yet. It is probably why a Moses Mybe should be considered. He could do that.

A lot of missed tackles too. Gould was crapping on about NSW not hitting hard enough, but they were wrapping them up.

He had a point though, the Cane Toads were hitting and tackling a lot harder for a large part of the game but to their credit the Blues ramped it up in the last 15 and laid some good tackles. Fifteen minutes either side of half time the Blues were having trouble running the ball out of their defensive forty and Queensland were in with a real chance.

Off the point but well refereed I thought. They missed a decision or two but overall they let the game flow. All we need is for Ben Cummins to be appointed to the next game.

It was fun. Drank too much. Seemed to be full strength alcohol which was a nice change from what's normally dished up at the MCG.

They're right to bring it here every 3 years. If it were annual and people remembered what the view was like crowds would drop right off. I was near a corner and even then was a long way back.

fsw6Tl8.jpg

Glad I get to watch the next game on TV.

Off the point but well refereed I thought. They missed a decision or two but overall they let the game flow. All we need is for Ben Cummins to be appointed to the next game.

Sure...if you mean...

a) a 3m forward pass being given for NSW's Addo Carr try
b) the blatant non-strip call against Crighton (NSW scored off the back of that)

Refs didn't lose QLD the game but they were ordinary at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

State of Origin State of Origin Discussion thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back