State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Still it would be an interesting academic exercise to do some stats around umpiring at the AFL, for example would the stats support the supposition that junk time frees favours the side with less free kicks. Is there an unconscious bias based on who the umpire supported as a kid or played for? Is there really any improvement to the game based on increasing the number of umpires?
I wont buy into team bias, but i’ll buy into an AFL conspiracy to hurt North.

They want to be seen making a “great call” whether it's wrong or not. As we know, we get the sediment of the umpire brew, obviously trying to make a name for themselves or stand out by making borderline 50/50 calls.

Its the 50/50 call that shits me to tears. If its 50/50 let it play on.

How many ****ing times does Patrick Cripps throw the ball without an umpire calling it?

As an avid handballer, a hardball man, one at the bottom of the pack that prided his handy work. A handball is an art form. Left right, didnt matter.

I mesmerised people with how good I could fist a ball. It makes me ****ing sick the way the handball is umpired!

CALL THE THROW YOU ****ING MAGGOTS.

Grow a ****ing set of balls and call the throw

How many ******* times does Patrick Cripps throw the ball without an umpire calling it?

As an avid handballer, a hardball man, one at the bottom of the pack that prided his handy work. A handball is an art form. Left right, didnt matter.

I mesmerised people with how good I could fist a ball. It makes me ******* sick the way the handball is umpired!

CALL THE THROW YOU ******* MAGGOTS.

Grow a ******* set of balls and call the throw
My pet peeve is how players are allowed to throw the ball over their heads and make more ground than a boundary umpire ever does. It should be the easiest thing to police. Was the ball projected by the fist or was it projected by the hand holding the ball?

My pet peeve is how players are allowed to throw the ball over their heads and make more ground than a boundary umpire ever does. It should be the easiest thing to police. Was the ball projected by the fist or was it projected by the hand holding the ball?
Yep. I hate it too. It really grinds my gears. Its a throw all day. They altered the definition of the rules and it makes me sick.

This thread needs reviving after yet some more woeful umpiring last night and on Thursday night. A couple of shockers in my eyes in the Swans versus Bulldogs on Thursday.

Heeney's tackle called high on the the Bulldogs player in the third quarter, which was not high in my eyes and the eyes of the commentary team. Heeney then pinged 50 metres for dissent because he pointed to the replay on the big screen, which showed it was not a free kick. Certain goal to the Dogs, terrible umpiring. In my eyes at least.

Mclean's mark in the last quarter, the Dogs player arrived fractionally late to the contest and the ball was accidentally knocked free. Immediate whistle, 50 metres against the Dogs, result, certain goal to the Swans and the momentum that the Dogs were building, snuffed out. Terrible umpiring. In my eyes at least.

Tonight they were once again very ordinary, capped off by that appallingly bad and elderly umpire Matthew Nicholls for pinging the Pies for not directly passing the ball back to him, the old boy, Nicholls. (Has there been a worse umpire in the history of the game than Nicholls - no comments required from anyone here because there have been many absolutely dreadful umpires, as bad as Nicholls, right throughout the recent history of the game - I had a terrible flashback to Sch(m)idt - the m is silent - only yesterday so Nicholls is not alone. That's for sure. And then there was that shocking umpire from WA, whose name I have tried to eradicate from my memory, who played a "blinder" of a second quarter in that final against us in Perth in 2015 I think it was. Dean Cox is still paying him royalties for that effort.)

Anyway the resulting goal from that decision tonight, really made it so tight for the last few minutes and was a key factor in bringing about the draw.

So many games this year the free kick differential is woefully skewed one way. Last week in Darwin, I think it was 17 to 3 in the Suns favour against Geelong in the first half. The Cats were never going to win that game. They were well and truly outplayed by the Suns. But theoretically when the best "man" on the ground at half time is the free kick differential, in my opinion there is something terribly wrong.

The game in my eyes anyway, is in huge trouble unless something is done to rectify this problem. Too may umpires make wrong calls, non-calls and just guess a fair bit of the time. Oh well, who cares. the AFL sure as hell doesn't care.

I wont buy into team bias, but i’ll buy into an AFL conspiracy to hurt North.

They want to be seen making a “great call” whether it's wrong or not. As we know, we get the sediment of the umpire brew, obviously trying to make a name for themselves or stand out by making borderline 50/50 calls.

Its the 50/50 call that shits me to tears. If its 50/50 let it play on.
Have you ever umpired a game of footy?

Played 100s of games and watched 1000s, wasn't until I had to umpire kids footy that I realised it's a tough gig. Unless you've tried it you probably need to shut the fukk up. Must be the hardest game to adjudicate in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread needs reviving after yet some more woeful umpiring last night and on Thursday night. A couple of shockers in my eyes in the Swans versus Bulldogs on Thursday.

Heeney's tackle called high on the the Bulldogs player in the third quarter, which was not high in my eyes and the eyes of the commentary team. Heeney then pinged 50 metres for dissent because he pointed to the replay on the big screen, which showed it was not a free kick. Certain goal to the Dogs, terrible umpiring. In my eyes at least.

Mclean's mark in the last quarter, the Dogs player arrived fractionally late to the contest and the ball was accidentally knocked free. Immediate whistle, 50 metres against the Dogs, result, certain goal to the Swans and the momentum that the Dogs were building, snuffed out. Terrible umpiring. In my eyes at least.

Tonight they were once again very ordinary, capped off by that appallingly bad and elderly umpire Matthew Nicholls for pinging the Pies for not directly passing the ball back to him, the old boy, Nicholls. (Has there been a worse umpire in the history of the game than Nicholls - no comments required from anyone here because there have been many absolutely dreadful umpires, as bad as Nicholls, right throughout the recent history of the game - I had a terrible flashback to Sch(m)idt - the m is silent - only yesterday so Nicholls is not alone. That's for sure. And then there was that shocking umpire from WA, whose name I have tried to eradicate from my memory, who played a "blinder" of a second quarter in that final against us in Perth in 2015 I think it was. Dean Cox is still paying him royalties for that effort.)

Anyway the resulting goal from that decision tonight, really made it so tight for the last few minutes and was a key factor in bringing about the draw.

So many games this year the free kick differential is woefully skewed one way. Last week in Darwin, I think it was 17 to 3 in the Suns favour against Geelong in the first half. The Cats were never going to win that game. They were well and truly outplayed by the Suns. But theoretically when the best "man" on the ground at half time is the free kick differential, in my opinion there is something terribly wrong.

The game in my eyes anyway, is in huge trouble unless something is done to rectify this problem. Too may umpires make wrong calls, non-calls and just guess a fair bit of the time. Oh well, who cares. the AFL sure as hell doesn't care.
Schmidt, thanks for bringing him up. I recall Dennis Cometti commentary calling him out on bad calls.

Last week vs *, one of our players was grabbed around the collar in a tackle, no high free kick paid, I dont understanddecisions like that and Fisher being tackled on the wing HTB not paid also.

Umpires need to pay obvious ones and not call the ridiculous ones but hey, according to some, its the HaRdEsT JoB iN tHe WoRlD.

Being an umpire, you should rather miss a borderline FK than make shit up and pull them from your arse

Last edited:

And then there was that shocking umpire from WA, whose name I have tried to eradicate from my memory, who played a "blinder" of a second quarter in that final against us in Perth in 2015 I think it was. Dean Cox is still paying him royalties for that effort.)
Umpire Grant Vernon??

Played 100s of games and watched 1000s, wasn't until I had to umpire kids footy that I realised it's a tough gig. Unless you've tried it you probably need to shut the fukk up. Must be the hardest game to adjudicate in the world.

Shared previously that one of my joeys is umpiring.

They train hard & he is required post-match to review his decisions in every game. They review footage & strive for consistency in decision-making. From a learning and development perspective their approach is quality. Accordingly, I am more optimistic about umpiring standards.

So I am mystified that we (“not 15 play on”) are umpired differently.

If that's the case, even more reason to make it less complicated.

It's actually an indictment on their Coach.

7 words -

Pay the obvious ones and don't interfere.

Fixed.

As frustrating as it is, the free kick against Collingwood last night was technically correct. It's just one of those ones that they will often overlook.

As for the 50 against the Dogs, it just seems to me a fundamental misunderstanding of the state of the game that night. The umpire is assuming that the Bulldogs player was spoiling late as a time-wasting manoeuvre, which is where the error comes in because the Bulldogs did not want to waste time. The umpire got it wrong, no doubt.

Last edited:

It was Warner, not Heeney, and they always call that a 50 when you tell the ump to look at the screen.

Umpiring is about consistency and they are consistent on that.

And they called a free against Freo earlier in the game for not handing the ball back. So they needed to be consistent on that.

I've got no issues with those two calls. I have issues with some others, though.

And then there was that shocking umpire from WA, whose name I have tried to eradicate from my memory, who played a "blinder" of a second quarter in that final against us in Perth in 2015 I think it was. Dean Cox is still paying him royalties for that effort.)
Umpire Grant Vernon??

Margetts was the man

Annoying, I would like to get their whistles and shove it where the sun don’t shine . I have sound down when I watch but most of the decisions are innocuous garbage frees that have no bearing on the game it’s painful.

It was Warner, not Heeney, and they always call that a 50 when you tell the ump to look at the screen.

Umpiring is about consistency and they are consistent on that.

And they called a free against Freo earlier in the game for not handing the ball back. So they needed to be consistent on that.

I've got no issues with those two calls. I have issues with some others, though.

Yes it was Warner, not Heeney.

As for not being able to ask the umpire to have a look at the screen, what a ridiculous situation that is? Warner was incredulous at what was an incorrect decision and yet he and so many others are expected to just act like robots and ignore what had just happened.

The umpires these days are a bunch of previous petals. Far worse things would have been said to them in the old days and those umpires would have handed it back with interest - but not a 50 metre penalty

To the letter of the law the call against the Pies last night was correct, but surely that law was introduced to penalise blatant breaches of the law, which are designed to prevent time wasting. That was not a blatant breach of the law last night. I doubt if the actions of the Pies player - I think it was Sullivan - and handed it to Daicos who then handed it straight to Nicholls would have wasted any more than a couple of seconds. Surely a warning to Sullivan that he will get pinged if he does that again, would have been sufficient.

What makes it worse is that so many times we see players just stand up and leave the ball on the ground, which probably takes as long or longer to get back into the umpires hands. It happens all the time and I can't recall seeing anyone being pinged for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back