State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

So, in the last 3 minutes we had...

• missed 50m penalty that would have put LDU in scoring range
  • missed htb on Daicos
  • missed throw by Quaynor
  • missed front on contact by Quaynor
  • missed 50 to Scott

All would have been scoring shots for North.
You have pointed out five infringements in a 3 minute period.

Just think the umpires only thought that Collingwood infringed 4 times for a half of footy.

No one can take this sport seriously after what happened on Sunday.

People say North choked, but a lot of Collingwood’s momentum was off the back of free kicks that resulted in shots on goal and the blatant ones where they infringed but it was let go and they could press forward.

It’s the AFL’s version of handicapping. They need Collingwood in the top 8 and preferably top 4. If it’s has to be at the expense of North Melbourne who won’t play finals, then they are totally fine with that.

Can you imagine how hard it would have been for our players to be out there battling away and watch your opponent infringe and nothing happens, but on the flip side you are penalised when your opponent has staged, flopped or you have disposed of the ball but the umpire still calls holding the ball (LDU).

Th actual worse decision/non-decision of the day was when Quaynor shoves Zurhaar into Ford. Not only was it blatant, but it was extremely dangerous. I have never seen an umpire ignore such a dangerous action.

This game was rigged/fixed. The AFL doesn’t care though, because they will do what they need to to make the most money and like idiots we will keep turning up and be fed their shit.

Funny thing is. .during the game, at the ground, there wasn't any massive feeling the game was being influenced by the umpiring. Except for ND getting special treatment, but that's more of a meme now and not really in response to anything specific.

Hopefully somebody at AFL wakes up one day and says hey "why don't we make the umpires job a bit easier, that might reduce the frustration for everyone".

Just remove the word "intent" from the rule book completely.

Just think the umpires only thought that Collingwood infringed 4 times for a half of footy.

People say North choked, but a lot of Collingwood’s momentum was off the back of free kicks that resulted in shots on goal and the blatant ones where they infringed but it was let go and they could press forward.

It’s the AFL’s version of handicapping. They need Collingwood in the top 8 and preferably top 4. If it’s has to be at the expense of North Melbourne who won’t play finals, then they are totally fine with that.

Can you imagine how hard it would have been for our players to be out there battling away and watch your opponent infringe and nothing happens, but on the flip side you are penalised when your opponent has staged, flopped or you have disposed of the ball but the umpire still calls holding the ball (LDU).

Th actual worse decision/non-decision of the day was when Quaynor shoves Zurhaar into Ford. Not only was it blatant, but it was extremely dangerous. I have never seen an umpire ignore such a dangerous action.

This game was rigged/fixed. The AFL doesn’t care though, because they will do what they need to to make the most money and like idiots we will keep turning up and be fed their shit.
The have made their statement. They are on record regarding this match.

They know that nobody in the media will mention this again come Friday.

They know that only a few North "conspiracy theorists" will remember it and they know that deep down, 90% of AFL level football followers will think North deserves it because of the handouts and the way they got themselves into their current predicament.

The AFL have ultimately rode it out and they have done the memory of Stalin and Goebel proud.

So, in the last 3 minutes we had...

• missed 50m penalty that would have put LDU in scoring range
  • missed htb on Daicos
  • missed throw by Quaynor
  • missed front on contact by Quaynor
  • missed 50 to Scott

All would have been scoring shots for North.
Shows you why we only got a small amount of frees in the second half. They missed about 6-7 of them without even looking hard.

Media and opposition saying we should never have given up a 54 point lead anyways. They would have only gotten within 3-4 goals if it was umpired fairly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny thing is. .during the game, at the ground, there wasn't any massive feeling the game was being influenced by the umpiring. Except for ND getting special treatment, but that's more of a meme now and not really in response to anything specific.

Hopefully somebody at AFL wakes up one day and says hey "why don't we make the umpires job a bit easier, that might reduce the frustration for everyone".

Just remove the word "intent" from the rule book completely.
You must have been at a different ground?

You could tell after half time that the game was being umpired a lot differently to the first half.

There were a lot of instances where Collingwood were paid cheap free kicks that resulted in shots on goal.

The Insta 50 against Powell was a very good indication that the umpires were hellbent on making life difficult for North, especially since Collingwood had exhibited time wasting techniques multiple times throughout the game that were ignored.

For those on here as old as me do you think last weeks umpiring was worse than the 94 PF? (Almost at the 30 year anniversary of that fateful day)

I never thought I'd see such a poor umpiring display as that again but it's certainly a contender.
Not sure, it was more impactful given it cost us a GF berth.

What is clear is that it was blatant cheating from the umpires on both occasions. Umpires obviously can make mistakes but when all the mistakes are one way then we need to ask questions.

Eddie has come out and said he is happy the 50 wasn’t paid, and he agrees Laura Kane’s explanation.

I wasn’t sure, but if an unbiased media personality like Eddie comes out and says it was correct, than maybe Laura was correct. Eddie has no dog in the fight when it comes to this. Neutral as they come.
Eddie does a poscast with Jimmy. So he’ll be generating clickbait for their next show. Bartel is flat out against the AFL’s explanation and the umpiring decisions. So saying, I’ll probably listen to it 😂

For those on here as old as me do you think last weeks umpiring was worse than the 94 PF? (Almost at the 30 year anniversary of that fateful day)

I never thought I'd see such a poor umpiring display as that again but it's certainly a contender.
That's a really interesting question.

Statically, the free kick count wasn't as lopsided as 1994 (14-24 as opposed to 13-32 in 1994) and I don't think the effect on the scoreboard was as great as we scored a couple of goals from frees on the weekend, whereas I don't think we received a free in our forward 50 at all in 1994.

I thought the umpiring on the weekend was really inept, Sheezel's tackle on Jiath and Collingwood being allowed to play on was amateurish at best and the standard didn't improve at any stage for the rest of the game. It was like the four monkeys on the park were not communicating with each other and lost control of the game.

1994 felt a little different, it felt like the three monkeys were blinkered and let Geelong get away with a number of indiscretions while North was penalised for every little thing that did or didn't go wrong. In saying that I should point out that I have no evidence of that, it's just a feeling I've had for almost 30 years because I still cannot watch a second of that game without getting frustrated and angry.

I would say it's right up there with the 1994 PF as one of the worst umpiring performances in our history (and maybe the league's history), but it doesn't hurt nearly as much as the 1994 Preliminary Final.

Shows you why we only got a small amount of frees in the second half. They missed about 6-7 of them without even looking hard.

Media and opposition saying we should never have given up a 54 point lead anyways. They would have only gotten within 3-4 goals if it was umpired fairly.
The people I feel most sorry for are the Collingwood supporters who backed their team for the win but who cashed out at half time. They must be seething over the missed frees, the "goal" and the unpaid 50!

This is in my view such a key outcome of the terrible umpiring we are increasingly seeing.

For a long time I've been of the view, that when we see lopsided free counts, particularly in first halves of games, the players in those teams who are on the wrong side of the ledger, start to maybe subconsciously second guess how they attack the ball/contest. Their confidence drops and they start to arrive later at contests, because they become afraid they will get penalised further.

This then aids the team getting the rub of the green to impact the score board more often and the rot sets in.

We are constantly hearing how much the game is played "above the shoulders" and if there is one thing that will influence the "above the shoulders" belief it is the fear of giving away frees and 50's.

Last edited:
I would say it's right up there with the 1994 PF as one of the worst umpiring performances in our history (and maybe the league's history), but it doesn't hurt nearly as much as the 1994 Preliminary Final.
I may have only been a little tracker, but the 79 Prelim was one for the ages too…

Remove this Banner Ad

State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back