State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

You must have been at a different ground?

You could tell after half time that the game was being umpired a lot differently to the first half.
Actually, it may have been due to how well North were playing, or maybe it's just that we get shafted almost every game, but I thought that the umpiring was relatively fine in the first half (apart from the advantage call and the non-goal). The replay shows I was wrong as there was a fair bit of variation between the way the two teams were being adjudicated, even in the first half.

However, after half time it was an utter rodgering. The X free for the push against Jiath might have been the "insurance policy" that allows for Collingwood supporters to claim that things equalled out in the end but I'm betting nobody expected Tristan to split the middle from that free kick. I guess it was one of those calculated risks that umpires have to take every now and again.

Frankly, this match was on par with the hammering we got from the maggots in the hawthorne match where old what 'is name broke KB's record for the most AFL games. I'm betting Matty Larkin is still having nightmares about that.

This is in my view such a key outcome of the terrible umpiring we are increasingly seeing.

For a long time I've been of the view, that when we see lopsided free counts, particularly in first halves of games, the players in those teams who are on the wrong side of the ledger, start to maybe subconsciously second guess how they attack the ball/contest. Their confidence drops and they start to arrive later at contests, because they become afraid they will get penalised further.

This then aids the team getting the rub of the green to impact the score board more often and the rot sets in.

We are constantly hearing how much the game is played "above the shoulders" and if there is one thing that will influence the "above the shoulders" belief it is the fear of giving away frees and 50's.
Me too.

In a round about way I think that non 50 decision was a blessing in disguise for the AFL coz it took away the attention from all the other horrible calls made during the match. I haven't heard anything from them about the Quaynor throw, the advantage given after the Sheez free kick, etc etc
I just had another look at the first half this morning. The holding the ball free given to Sheez was bizzare. The ump clearly called holding the ball and then called play on advantage as Collingwood took off, with Sheez’s free kick. There was absolute confusion as none of the umps could figure out what was going on. Comical!

Kane’s now come out celebrating the four umpire system and it’s ability to add diversity.

This league is now a parody.
Really? I would have thought comments like that at this time would be pretty unadvisable.

Yeah we've just had an unending slew of umpiring **** ups this year, culminating in us being eviscerated this week, but hey we managed to add a bunch of diverse hires to our non-professional umpiring department after deciding to increase the number of umpires on the field for ??? reasons. So hey, even if the talent pool of umpiring has been diluted without making any effort to increase individual standards, at least our DEI quotas have improved!

I'd be tempted to wager this is a professional play to bait some hatred from the masses so that they can turn this all right around and media shield the umpires by pointing at discrimination and hatred etc.

Really? I would have thought comments like that at this time would be pretty unadvisable.

Yeah we've just had an unending slew of umpiring **** ups this year, culminating in us being eviscerated this week, but hey we managed to add a bunch of diverse hires to our non-professional umpiring department after deciding to increase the number of umpires on the field for ??? reasons. So hey, even if the talent pool of umpiring has been diluted without making any effort to increase individual standards, at least our DEI quotas have improved!

I'd be tempted to wager this is a professional play to bait some hatred from the masses so that they can turn this all right around and media shield the umpires by pointing at discrimination and hatred etc.

I think you're vastly over estimating - by a factor of about 4 million, give or take - their ability to strategically flip a narrative. Or strategically do anything.

And for those under the illusion that there will be moments of reflection or contrition or even shame, don't count on it. Someone who rises that quickly into that position can only do so without shame or imposter syndrome. Which is commendable in it's own way, but there'll be no damage done internally. None.

I think you're vastly over estimating - by a factor of about 4 million, give or take - their ability to strategically flip a narrative. Or strategically do anything.

And for those under the illusion that there will be moments of reflection or contrition or even shame, don't count on it. Someone who rises that quickly into that position can only do so without shame or imposter syndrome. Which is commendable in it's own way, but there'll be no damage done internally. None.
AFL House is a PR firm managed by lawyers with an end goal of making a shitload of cash for those with fancy job titles. I absolutely believe they have hackneyed plans to change narratives and alter perceptions. Whether they're good enough plans or not is a separate issue.

Fully with you in regards to there not being moments of reflection let alone shame, and it's all because they only care about the end product (the games on any given weekend) in terms of how much cash it makes them. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited:
You half joke, but imagine what these guys get up to when they self-regulate behind closed doors. Think Melbourne tanking (found not guilty?), Essendon ASADA (tried not to punish until wada got involved), Hawthorn racism (no transparency outside of AFL leaks to the media)...

Imagine what they turn a blind eye to, or deal with in house when they can get away with it.

It's a pretty morally empty organisation. I mean, Gil raced straight to become CEO of the countries biggest gambling company ...
I think most of us know that, but we love the game and have since we were born and try to believe it's what we grew up with, so we close our eyes to it.

Geez Horizons, I was completely over the weekend. I had put it behind me. Forgitten (not forgiven).

And then you had to go and post that!!@!

Fat Eddie - EAD.

Purple - EAD too.

Flycatcher - Comment reserved.

Bartel - I'm OK with you.

But I'm not over the weekend at all it seems after re-watching that!

AFL House is a PR firm managed by lawyers with an end goal of making a shitload of cash for those with fancy job titles. I absolutely believe they have hackneyed plans to change narratives and alter perceptions. Whether they're good enough plans or not is a separate issue.

Fully with you in regards to there not being moments of reflection let alone shame, and it's all because they only care about the end product (the games on any given weekend) in terms of how much cash it makes them. Everything else is secondary.
It’s the only sporting code that I’m aware of that actively rigs their draw to maximise crowd figures.

Which funnily enough, are a direct influence on bonuses for the suits.

Anyone happen to see the 50 metre penalty awarded against Tom Stewart early in the last qtr tonight? A short kick into the middle and the Carlton player took the mark before back tracking as the umpire blew the whistle. Stewart followed him over the mark by a metre or two and the umpire awarded 50 despite no stand call. Laura, please explain how this is possible?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone happen to see the 50 metre penalty awarded against Tom Stewart early in the last qtr tonight? A short kick into the middle and the Carlton player took the mark before back tracking as the umpire blew the whistle. Stewart followed him over the mark by a metre or two and the umpire awarded 50 despite no stand call. Laura, please explain how this is possible?

This was always going to happen.

It creates a massive dilemma for Kane however as the media will demand a response and she cannot justify this after her carefully constructed statement made last Monday.

It's why her explanation was so ridiculous. Stand is a new rule, even before it came in it was always 50 if you blatantly ran over the mark and that hasn't changed.

Anyone expecting an over correction tonight and the gifting of frees our way?
It'll come when we are flogging the absolute shit out of a team with zero chance of losing anyway.

It's why her explanation was so ridiculous. Stand is a new rule, even before it came in it was always 50 if you blatantly ran over the mark and that hasn't changed.
Laura claimed that the mark is only paid when the umpire calls "stand", despite the fact that the ump blew the whistle and called mark. At the time, he could not have called stand as the 2 Collingwood players were well over the mark. He should have called, " back 5 metres" before he could have ordered one of them to stand. However, the breech was so egregious and play on was not called so the only legitimate option was to pay 50.

The umpire was dropped this week.

One more person needs to be dropped now.

Remove this Banner Ad

State of umpiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Back