Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a clarification -
was the Murphy ref to the time of the 2014 article,
or do you mean that John Murphy "indicated this week" being a comment from him at end of December 2015 ?
If latter, can you direct me to source please.
Thanks.
I included the link to the article (which was from April 2014) in my previous post, here it is again. There's little doubt the Murphy comment was made at the time of the 2014 article, when Marc and John Murphy were set to draw level with Wayne and Mark Richardson's combined senior games tally. I only included part of the article in my post:- http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-04-30/murphys-rein-in-richardson-clan

In making his 172nd senior appearance, the Carlton captain and (by association) John Murphy with 246 games for Fitzroy, South Melbourne and North Melbourne, draw level with the Magpies’ Wayne and Mark Richardson on 418 senior matches (and 13th overall for most games accumulated by father/sons).

John, who often went head-to-head on the paddock with father Wayne, wasn’t immediately aware of the stat when contacted this week, but suggested the Richardsons’ tally should already have been eclipsed.

“It depends on what numbers you get from the AFL,” Murphy suggested. “I remember running through a banner for my 250th game and I’d only played 246. I reckon they took a few games off Keith Greig too and he never got to 300.

“The problem was back in the ’70s when state games were sometimes held on the same day as club games, so the state games were actually counted as club games, but that was later changed.

Asked how many club matches he was “owed”, John replied: “I reckon there were at least four”. “I played ten for Victoria, four of which were staged on the same day as club games,” he said.

A further 48 games from Carlton’s Marc will draw the Murphy clan level in 12th position with the Whittens - Ted senior and junior - who amassed 465 senior appearances collectively.

As Leo Murphy (father of John, grandfather of Marc) also represented Hawthorn in 132 games, the clan, with 549 matches is 27 games to the better of the Kennedys - John Kennedy sen. (164) and son John Kennedy jun. (241) at Hawthorn, and grandson Josh Kennedy (117*) at Hawthorn and Sydney.

Last edited:
I make it 144 instances to the end of 2015 where a team beat its opponent by the same margin in successive matches played between the two, whether in the same season or the next season. In addition, there are 3 instances of two teams playing draws in successive matches. This involves Essendon and Fitzroy doing it twice, and Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide doing it the other time.

Among the 144 instances, there are three occasions of one team beating its opponent by the same margin in three successive matches.

Hawthorn d Collingwood by 22 points: round 9, 1982; round 19, 1982; round 5, 1983
West Coast d Collingwood by 36 points: round 3, 1999; round 18, 1999; round 11, 2000
Port Adelaide d Adelaide by 8 points: round 18, 2001; round 5, 2002; round 20, 2002

The highest margin repeated in two successive matches between the same two teams is:

Hawthorn d South Melbourne by 79 points: round 3, 1974; round 15, 1974

There are only two other instances of a 10 goal margin being repeated.

Thanks Worbod, it's way more common than I thought.

At the other end of the scale, I once asked a question about games that produce mirror-image scores (such as 14.11-95 to 11.14-80, 13.12-90 to 12.13-85 and 17.10-112 to 10.17-77) and found out that such games are remarkably rare.

Dermott Brereton had the following 4 coaches during his playing career:

- Allan Jeans at Hawthorn from 1982-87 and 1989-90
- Allan Joyce at Hawthorn in 1988 and from 1991-93
- Ron Barassi at Sydney in 1994
- Leigh Matthews at Collingwood in 1995

Jeans (4), Joyce (2), Barassi (4) and Matthews (4) have a combined 14 premierships.

The next best I can find is Brereton's ex-team mate Terry Wallace, who was coached by:

- David Parkin at Hawthorn from 1978-80
- Allan Jeans at Hawthorn from 1981-86
- Tony Jewell at Richmond in 1987
- Mick Malthouse at Footscray in 1988-89
- Terry Wheeler at Footscray in 1990-91

Parkin (4), Jeans (4), Jewell (1) and Malthouse (3) have a combined 12 premierships.

Three questions:

1. Have any other players equaled or bettered Brereton's record of 14 premierships by the coaches they played under?

2. Have any other players been coached by 4 or more multiple-premiership coaches?

3. And if yes, were they the only coaches they had during their career?

Dermott Brereton had the following 4 coaches during his playing career:

- Allan Jeans at Hawthorn from 1982-87 and 1989-90
- Allan Joyce at Hawthorn in 1988 and from 1991-93
- Ron Barassi at Sydney in 1994
- Leigh Matthews at Collingwood in 1995

Jeans (4), Joyce (2), Barassi (4) and Matthews (4) have a combined 14 premierships.

The next best I can find is Brereton's ex-team mate Terry Wallace, who was coached by:

- David Parkin at Hawthorn from 1978-80
- Allan Jeans at Hawthorn from 1981-86
- Tony Jewell at Richmond in 1987
- Mick Malthouse at Footscray in 1988-89
- Terry Wheeler at Footscray in 1990-91

Parkin (4), Jeans (4), Jewell (1) and Malthouse (3) have a combined 12 premierships.

Three questions:

1. Have any other players equaled or bettered Brereton's record of 14 premierships by the coaches they played under?

2. Have any other players been coached by 4 or more multiple-premiership coaches?

3. And if yes, were they the only coaches they had during their career?

Just found the answers to questions 2 and 3.

Michael Tuck and Robert DiPierdomenico were both coached at Hawthorn by John Kennedy Snr (3 premierships), David Parkin (4 premierships), Allan Jeans (4 premierships) and Allan Joyce (2 premierships) for a total of 13. Dipper just scrapes in for qualification as he played 1 game under Kennedy in 1975 before re-appearing in the seniors again in 1978.

That still leaves Brereton as the leader with 14 premierships by his coaches.

Out of curiosity, are captain-coaches taken into account when assessing this stat? Ron Barassi played under Norm Smith at Melbourne (6 premierships) and then was captain-coach when he played at Carlton. Barassi's total of 4 premierships as coach, whilst not enabling him to overtake Brereton, give him 10 premierships by the coaches he played under, even though he himself was one of those coaches.

Does anyone have details of players who have played senior football in each of the AFL/VFL, WAFL, SANFL and VFL/VFA?

One I know off-hand is Scott Simister, a player from the early 1990s to mid 2000s who played AFL with Melbourne, WAFL with Peel Thunder and East Fremantle, SANFL with West Adelaide and VFL/VFA with Springvale and Frankston.

Does anyone have details of players who have played senior football in each of the AFL/VFL, WAFL, SANFL and VFL/VFA?

One I know off-hand is Scott Simister, a player from the early 1990s to mid 2000s who played AFL with Melbourne, WAFL with Peel Thunder and East Fremantle, SANFL with West Adelaide and VFL/VFA with Springvale and Frankston.
James Sellar would be a very recent example, as long as you include AFL listed players playing for VFL clubs when not selected for their AFL club.

As well as playing for Glenelg in the SANFL he's played for Adelaide and Melbourne in the AFL, South Fremantle in the WAFL, and Casey Scorpions in the VFL (while on Melbourne's list).

Edit: I certainly don't have a list of such players, an internet search didn't come up with anything at all, so not sure where you might find these names.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, are captain-coaches taken into account when assessing this stat? Ron Barassi played under Norm Smith at Melbourne (6 premierships) and then was captain-coach when he played at Carlton. Barassi's total of 4 premierships as coach, whilst not enabling him to overtake Brereton, give him 10 premierships by the coaches he played under, even though he himself was one of those coaches.

I am looking at players only, so captain-coaches were not taken into account.

My interest was triggered by Brereton winning the 5 premierships at Hawthorn under Jeans and Joyce, and then going to Sydney and Collingwood later in his career and being coached by two legends in Barassi and Matthews. It means that all 4 of his AFL coaches won multiple premierships.

This compares with lots of other players who maybe weren't so lucky in the coaches they had. For example, Robert Harvey had the following 7 coaches during his 21 year career at St.Kilda - Darrel Baldock, Ken Sheldon, Stan Alves, Tim Watson, Malcolm Blight, Grant Thomas and Ross Lyon. Some great players (including premiership players) and some good coaches among this lot, but Blight is the only one with the title "premiership coach". And of course he only coached Harvey at St.Kilda for 15 games in 2001.

James Sellar would be a very recent example, as long as you include AFL listed players playing for VFL clubs when not selected for their AFL club.

As well as playing for Glenelg in the SANFL he's played for Adelaide and Melbourne in the AFL, South Fremantle in the WAFL, and Casey Scorpions in the VFL (while on Melbourne's list).

Edit: I certainly don't have a list of such players, an internet search didn't come up with anything at all, so not sure where you might find these names.

Thanks 35Daicos - I think these players are quite rare.

Does anybody have some stats on commentators?

With Dennis Cometti announcing his retirement, I wonder which commentator has commentated the most games (on TV or all formats).

This will Cometti's 30th and final season.
How does that compare to Lou Richards, Jack Dyer, Mike Williamson etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rex Hunt called his 2000th game in round 7 last year. Not sure if there are precise stats for everybody however. Peter Landy commentated his 1000th game in 1997. Landy kept count himself of all the games he commentated.

A player disposing of the ball or running the ball from inside their own 50 metre line to outside their own 50 metre line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mate.

wasn't sure if it was a coast to coast thing

A player disposing of the ball or running the ball from inside their own 50 metre line to outside their own 50 metre line.
Or in Australian football terms, 'A player disposing of the ball or running the ball from inside the opposition's 50 metre line to outside that 50 metre line'.

Does anyone have a record how late Fitzroy scored their goal in this game. As far as I can see this is the only game where a team was scoreless at 3/4 time

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1953/060719530523.html
I can't find an exact time:-

The Sporting Globe report says "late in the last term" and "a few minutes before the final siren."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/178187765

The Age says "a lucky kick off the ground late in the last quarter."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/206442375
It also says "Up to the final 10 minutes Fitzroy was scoreless."
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/19727248

Edit:- The Argus says "Fitzroy had been playing 94 minutes without having bothered a wet and shivering goal umpire. So Ruthven threw himself into a "do-or-die" effort." http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/page/1760668

The Football Record says "But once again it was proved that the "Record" board was correct. Fitzroy hadn't scored a point up till three-quarter time. In fact, they didn't score at all until the last five minutes of play, and then it was a lucky kick by Ruthven that put the ball through for a sixer."

Last edited:
Last edited:
Does anyone have a record how late Fitzroy scored their goal in this game. As far as I can see this is the only game where a team was scoreless at 3/4 time

I don't know about scoreless but I am fairly sure around 1990 Carlton were playing Footscray at Western Oval on a very cold, wet and windy day and did not kick a goal until well into the last quarter. I can well remember the embarrassment of it. Mark Arceri kicked our only goal for the day from memory.

I don't know about scoreless but I am fairly sure around 1990 Carlton were playing Footscray at Western Oval on a very cold, wet and windy day and did not kick a goal until well into the last quarter. I can well remember the embarrassment of it. Mark Arceri kicked our only goal for the day from memory.
Round 11 1991. http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1991/030719910602.html

West Coast were goalless at 3/4 time a year later (also against Footscray at Western Oval), but managed 3 goals in the final quarter.
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1992/071819920823.html

Within the last minute of game time

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back