Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Guys, hope this is the right place to ask.
I am looking for stats/information around injuries in the AFL. The best thing I have found so far is this site:

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl-richmond-tigers-injury-list.php

What they have there is interesting as it has the injury type, onset round and round of return/availability for the player. It seems fairly comprehensive, it even mentions the injuries where guys don't miss a game.

However, they're clearly not updating the site - that shows only data from 2014.
And anyway, I'm looking for a longer history than that - last 20 years would be good. Does anyone know of anything like that?

Hey guys, i heard/saw on telly over the past couple days that the average amount of stoppages have dropping at least during rd 1, compared to last year. Can't remember which show i saw it on, so can't trace it back to get the stats. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Western Bulldogs have conceded a total of 74 points in its first two games this year - 5.8.38 by Fremantle and 5.6.36 by St.Kilda.

When was the last time a team conceded fewer points in its first two matches to start a season?

Nice.

And now that I think about it...

What's the largest margin a team has won by where they didn't receive all 6 Brownlow votes?
I know the Crows beat Richmond at Football Park circa 1993 by over 100 points and only got 2 Brownlow votes

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Western Bulldogs have conceded a total of 74 points in its first two games this year - 5.8.38 by Fremantle and 5.6.36 by St.Kilda.

When was the last time a team conceded fewer points in its first two matches to start a season?

West Coast with 78 conceded in 1991 comes close. I imagine we might have to go back into the 1950s or even earlier to find the overall record.

West Coast with 78 conceded in 1991 comes close. I imagine we might have to go back into the 1950s or even earlier to find the overall record.

Just had time to do a more detailed search. Apart from West Coast in 1991, the only other team in "recent" years to concede less than 80 points in their first two games was Collingwood in 1960. They conceded 77 points - 3.7.25 by Fitzroy and 6.16.52 by Hawthorn.

I had to go back to 1918 to find a lower total. And in fact, there were two.

South Melbourne conceded 69 points - 4.7.31 by Geelong and 5.8.38 by Fitzroy.

Collingwood went even lower conceding only 66 points - 4.6.30 by Carlton and 5.6.36 by Geelong.

Hey guys - looking for turnover stats for the first couple of games of this year. Particularly interested in:

Turnovers
Goals scored against from turnovers

If you can't provide actual numbers across the 18 teams, can you just let me know the ranking for the Tiges in these 2 categories.

cheers

p.s. yes I have a sneaky suspicion the Tiges are high in turnovers and goals opposition kicked when we turn the ball over.

11.5 (71), this'd be Melbourne's highest half-time score in some time, yes?
They had 12.4 (76) in 2011, round 14 (vs. Richmond). It's their highest half-time score since that one.

Astonishing game of football so far!

Edit:- 71 points is the equal 104th best at half-time for Melbourne. It's highest ever half-time score is 19.7 (121) vs. Collingwood in 1941.

Their second quarter score of 9.3 (57) is their equal 8th best for that quarter. 11.6 (72) vs. Geelong in 1939 is their all-time best in the second quarter.

It looks to be Melbourne's best second quarter score since round 2 1991, when they managed 9.5 (59) vs. Fitzroy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had 12.4 (76) in 2011, round 14 (vs. Richmond). It's their highest half-time score since that one.

Astonishing game of football so far!

Edit:- 71 points is the equal 104th best at half-time for Melbourne. It's highest ever half-time score is 19.7 (121) vs. Collingwood in 1941.

Their second quarter score of 9.3 (57) is their equal 8th best for that quarter. 11.6 (72) vs. Geelong in 1939 is their all-time best in the second quarter.

It looks to be Melbourne's best second quarter score since round 2 1991, when they managed 9.5 (59) vs. Fitzroy.

Wasn't it a great game! 41 goals in total, when's the last time a match had a higher aggregate? Someone on the AFL Facebook page said he hasn't seen that many kicked since NM vs Ess 2001 but I highly doubt that is the case (there was a whopping 52 goals kicked that day anyway)

Sorry if there are the tools to look this up online and I'm not aware of them, I know there's records on AFL Tables but you can't set parameters or search queries.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a footy version of Cricinfo's Statsguru?

Wasn't it a great game! 41 goals in total, when's the last time a match had a higher aggregate? Someone on the AFL Facebook page said he hasn't seen that many kicked since NM vs Ess 2001 but I highly doubt that is the case (there was a whopping 52 goals kicked that day anyway)

Sorry if there are the tools to look this up online and I'm not aware of them, I know there's records on AFL Tables but you can't set parameters or search queries.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a footy version of Cricinfo's Statsguru?
A great game indeed, and there's another one happening at the moment!

The 41 goal aggregate sits in equal 164th place. 52 goals is the record - North Melbourne vs Essendon in 2001 and Melbourne vs St Kilda in 1978.

West Coast and Brisbane managed 41 in round 1 of this year (26 - 15).

Last time there was a higher aggregate - 2014 rd. 8 - West Coast vs GWS (30 - 12).

Brent Harvey kicked 6 goals in a game for the first time on the weekend in his 412th game; obviously a record number of games before somebody has kicked 6 in a game. It is quite well known Rod Carter played 215 games before kicking one goal. Naturally Fred Fanning holds the record for the most games played before kicking 18 in a game (104).
This got me thinking about who would hold the records for all other possible goal tallies. But there may be a quirky numerical problem. There have been only two 17 goal totals kicked in a game, and Gordon Coventry took the most games to achieve this total (171). It wasn't until his 248th game that Coventry kicked 14 in a game, but by kicking 17 goals 77 games prior, he has already eclipsed the number 14. Therefore probably the only way to make a table for this is to simply state the most games taken to reach each specific total (if anybody wants to, unless there are any better ideas).

When was the last time the team on top of the ladder was conceding an average of 100+ points per game? North Melbourne right now has 412 points against, an average of 103. It's possible this is the first time ever.

When was the last time the team on top of the ladder was conceding an average of 100+ points per game? North Melbourne right now has 412 points against, an average of 103. It's possible this is the first time ever.
OK so it's not the first time: I've found 1981 Collingwood were in this position after Rounds 2, 3, and 4. After Round 3 they had scored 494 (avg 165) and conceded 352 (avg 117!) for a percentage of 140.3%, enough to hold top spot.
In 1982 I believe Richmond sported an average-against of 100+ from Rounds 15-17 as they sat atop the ladder (from Round 12 onwards), and finished the home-and-away matches with an average near 97 points conceded.

Still, what is the most recent?

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to have the 'total hitouts to advantage' and 'hitouts to advantage %' stats for each team so far in 2016? Thanks in advance!

OK so it's not the first time: I've found 1981 Collingwood were in this position after Rounds 2, 3, and 4. After Round 3 they had scored 494 (avg 165) and conceded 352 (avg 117!) for a percentage of 140.3%, enough to hold top spot.
In 1982 I believe Richmond sported an average-against of 100+ from Rounds 15-17 as they sat atop the ladder (from Round 12 onwards), and finished the home-and-away matches with an average near 97 points conceded.

Still, what is the most recent?
1993 Round 16 North Melbourne :)

Hey guys - looking for turnover stats for the first couple of games of this year. Particularly interested in:

Turnovers
Goals scored against from turnovers

If you can't provide actual numbers across the 18 teams, can you just let me know the ranking for the Tiges in these 2 categories.

cheers

p.s. yes I have a sneaky suspicion the Tiges are high in turnovers and goals opposition kicked when we turn the ball over.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-20/giving-it-away

someone was listening

*Paul* Ron The Bear

What are the largest game streaks for a player kicking exactly x goals?

E.g. Lance Franklin has kicked exactly four goals in four consecutive games.

What are the largest game streaks for a player kicking at least x goals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back