steele sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember david clarke from geelong a few years ago , i thought he was gonna be a gun with pace. Saw him traded to the blues and i wondered why, watched one blues game of him playing. All he could do was run, when he got the ball it was practically a five metre scrub kick along the ground.

Natural Athletic ability is important, however i dont think they will always turn out to be a better player than a natural footy player. You cant teach footy brains, sidebottom has a lot of that and same goes with pendlebury despite his basketball background. Their strengths dont ahve to speed when they can some up situations better than a lot of other players.

That may be the case RS but how would all these players compare for time to run the 2nd 20 meters of a 100 meter dash. I get the impression that the kid isn't actually quick off the mark but he moves ok once motoring.
Good point, in footy you often have to sprint 3 or 4 times in quick succession.

They really should test 3 20m sprints in a row with a 5 second break between them. I'd guess Steele's 3rd 20m would be one of the best in such a test.

Good point, in footy you often have to sprint 3 or 4 times in quick succession.

They really should test 3 20m sprints in a row with a 5 second break between them. I'd guess Steele's 3rd 20m would be one of the best in such a test.

They do a similar type of thing, it is called the repeat sprint test. I think it is 5 lots of 30m sprints with 10 second recovery. This is one of the tests at draft camp.

No, Steele wouldn't be one of the best with this test. He would possibly perform better than his 20m sprint placing, but certainly not enough to get in the top few. That is not how these types work.

VV is right, he gets quicker relative to the others as the game goes on, but will still be regarded as reasonably slow. How much it affects him, though is yet to be determined.

They do a similar type of thing, it is called the repeat sprint test. I think it is 5 lots of 30m sprints with 10 second recovery. This is one of the tests at draft camp.

No, Steele wouldn't be one of the best with this test. He would possibly perform better than his 20m sprint placing, but certainly not enough to get in the top few. That is not how these types work.
I reckon that if you did the repeat sprints directly after a 3km time trial, Steele would do quite well, and that effectively replicates the conditions you might be under in an AFL match.

thinking of steele is he a natural right or left footer

because he uses both so naturally during games its hard to tell

He is definitely slow, but as already stated, his endurance brings everyone down to his level after a while.

I'll wager he spends a bit of time on the pine early ala Swanny and comes on fresh against some tiring "speedsters".

Have loved Sidey and Dick's ball use over recent weeks; not just because they hit their target, but because they work well as cogs in a team as well as bashing home the odd goal as well.

Had the same issues with Pendlebury early on but he can Matrix the moment with some slo-mo moves.

Smiley sidebum is something similar. Johnny Mac, Leon, Wellers, Thomas can provide some paciness.

I deffinately had concerns over his speed pre draft and once he started playing too.

I am not as concerned now. My concerns where that with the lack of speed whether he was going to be good enough inside at doing the hard clearance stuff needed for a slower player to be a real star. He has shown that he is deffinately going to be good enough in that area and as such the speed isn't an issue.

Swan is slow! Swan got 48 possessions. Swan probably isnt as adept with field kicking as Sidebottom is going to be. Swan is a gun, maybe not 'elite' but a definite gun. Potentially Sidebottom has all that to offer and more!

I will still argue that Pendlebury is quick.

Guys like Jaxson run flat knacker because it's their thing. Pendlebury in cruise control is par for the course for him, but if he gets heat, he can often put on the afterburners.
Nah - Sub-3.00 over 20m isn't quick. He's not slow, but he's average at best in terms of pace.

Swan is slow!
No, he isn't. I'd bet right now he's quicker over 20m than Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Murphy and just about anyone else we've been discussing.

Swan LOOKS slow, but runs fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah - Sub-3.00 over 20m isn't quick. He's not slow, but he's average at best in terms of pace.

No, he isn't. I'd bet right now he's quicker over 20m than Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Murphy and just about anyone else we've been discussing.

Swan LOOKS slow, but runs fast.
I wouldn't ever call Swan express or even quick. He isn't a line breaker, he doesn't burst out of packs, nor does he have to. My point was that while he may be marginally quicker then Steele right now (Steele is not at his peak) his ability to rack up possessions and be damaging is not reliant on any express pace.

I wouldn't ever call Swan express or even quick. He isn't a line breaker, he doesn't burst out of packs, nor does he have to. My point was that while he may be marginally quicker then Steele right now (Steele is not at his peak) his ability to rack up possessions and be damaging is not reliant on any express pace.

Players very rarely get "quicker" after drafting. Or at least noticeably quicker. Swan is actually quick. Look at how much ground he makes up on quick opponents when chasing them down. He is quicker then Steele by a massive margain.

I'm with Vincent re: Swan. His first 20-30m in particular are superb. Doesn't the top speed of a Dale Thomas, but I think he's probably quicker over the first few yards.

Pendlebury's the other way around. Slow acceleration, but his top speed is reasonable.

Yes he does. Seriously, he does. He regularly outruns opponents these days. Check out the replay of the Port game. He displayed his speed in that game many times.

Players very rarely get "quicker" after drafting. Or at least noticeably quicker. Swan is actually quick. Look at how much ground he makes up on quick opponents when chasing them down. He is quicker then Steele by a massive margain.
Hmm, noticeably quicker perhaps, but I doubt it is comparable to the difference between a Davey and a Judd and Swan. I'd say there are freaky quick guys, then there are fast guys, then maybe somewhere thereafter is Swan. I'd love to see a footrace between a Judd and Swan and Sidebottom. I am confident the gap from Judd to Swan would be larger than the gap from Swan to Sidebottom esp over 20 m.

I'm with Vincent re: Swan. His first 20-30m in particular are superb. Doesn't the top speed of a Dale Thomas, but I think he's probably quicker over the first few yards.
That's a massive call. Daisy's speed, his first couple of steps gets him around opponents constantly. It's how he uses his pace to such good effect.

That's a massive call. Daisy's speed, his first couple of steps gets him around opponents constantly. It's how he uses his pace to such good effect.

I don't rate Daisy's first couple of steps. Notice that whenever we see him played in the middle, or anywhere in congestion, we don't really see him burst out of packs ala Davey or Judd or even our own Dick.

His pace usually comes into it when he's on the wing or the flank, where he can get a "run up", so to speak.

I truly believe this kid will be a top midfielder within a few years. He has the correct approach to football, the stamina to out last most opponents, and more then anything, 2 very good midfielders to learn his craft off.

What Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury are available to offer to Steele and others like Beams, McCarthy, Barham etc is worth more then any coach or development technique around.

In Swan and Pendles, Steele has an available wealth of knowledge in how to prepare, respond and attack the current midfielders position in the AFL.

Having these type of quality mids around will almost ensure Beams and Sidebottom will become very good mids quicker then most expect.:thumbsu:

I don't rate Daisy's first couple of steps. Notice that whenever we see him played in the middle, or anywhere in congestion, we don't really see him burst out of packs ala Davey or Judd or even our own Dick.

His pace usually comes into it when he's on the wing or the flank, where he can get a "run up", so to speak.
I guess he also uses his ability to wrong foot his potential tackler. But i have seen him regularly take the ball near the boundary line, pull up as his tackler attempts to corral him and then see him dance around him with a mixture of pace and nous. But back on topic, Sidebottom, though not fast as is agreed, won't for mine be hampered by it and will quicken, to a degree, as his body develops.

He has what all good young players seem to have-composure. Pendles had it and Beams seems to have it as well. His ability to find space in congestion is first rate. Now we should look to draft a quick midfielder who can break the lines to comliment Pendles, Steele and Beams.

thinking of steele is he a natural right or left footer

because he uses both so naturally during games its hard to tell
so his natural foot is?

Remove this Banner Ad

steele sidebottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back