Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Jul 29, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
C'mon seriously, how can a Sth African call an Australian a racist and keep a straight face. Maybe its becuase, in their eyes, this whole integration idea isn't as bad/painful as they first thought. Especially when you consider, in Sth Africa, it doesn't appear as much has actually changed. I was there in 2005 and basically the majority of the blacks still live in glorified chook sheds and the old master/servant relationship is still alive and well.

Don't let all the warm and fuzzies that the white Sth Africans cricketers show towards their black counterparts fool you. In the eyes of the majority of Afrikaans, black Sth Africans are still looked on as second class citizens.

Hypocrites.

South Africa points the finger at 'racist' Aussies
Peter Lalor
January 05, 2006
IT was a family day out for movie star Russell Crowe, but he was nowhere near The Hill during the third day of the Sydney Test.

As Crowe was spending a relaxed afternoon in the members' stand with son Charlie, 2, South Africa fast bowler Andre Nel was complaining of racial taunts and abuse by members of the crowd.

Nel told his captain Graeme Smith, who notified the umpires before the tea break, who passed on the complaint to ICC match referee Chris Broad after the day's play. The South African players have complained about racial abuse during all three Tests this summer. One man was ejected from the MCG for taunting the players.

Crowe, whose wife Danielle Spencer is pregnant with their second child, allowed Charlie to play alongside the Australian players' dressing rooms, where he spoke to spin king Shane Warne through a window.

The sports-mad Oscar winner was later joined by Brokeback Mountain star Heath Ledger, who has also returned to Australia with partner Michelle Williams for the summer. British television host Michael Parkinson was among the other stars in the stands, alongside a holidaying John Howard and wife Janette.

The Prime Minister only recently defended Australians against a charge of underlying racism after the riots in Cronulla.

When Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland heard of the incident, he asked that an announcement be made at the ground and another be posted on the scoreboard condemning the racist taunts.

South Africa coach Mick Arthur said Australia was the only place where his team was subjected to racist taunts.

"We feel once it becomes a racist taunt then the boundaries have been overstepped, and the South African cricket team categorically deplores that kind of behaviour," Arthur said.

A team spokesman added: "The team management remain disappointed and distressed by the continual racist behaviour by certain elements within the crowds in Australia and have once more requested adequate security be provided to the South African players. "Such unruly behaviour is unacceptable."

Australia captain Ricky Ponting, who made his 27th Test century earlier in the day, again asked cricket supporters to behave themselves.

"I had my bit to say after the Perth game and you would think the crowds around Australia would sit back and listen to just how unacceptable it is," he said. "There is nothing the players can do about it, but I'll sit here again tonight and ask the crowd to show a bit more respect to the South Africans."

Re: Sth Africans - Australians are racists!!

Why are you turning it into a contest?

The fact is it's unacceptable. South Africans are trying to seperate from there past and racially taunting them is pathetic.

The fact you're trying to turn it into something else reflects poorly on you my friend and is probably indicitave of your racial insensitivity.

I'm tired of teams from other countries COMING TO AUSTRALIA and criticising us. If they don't like the way they are treated they can stay home. The Aussies cop just as much, if not worse from spectators around the world but for some reason the cricket world always wants to point the finger squarely at Australia. If these touring teams spent a little more time on their cricket instead of looking for excuses for poor performances they'd be a lot better off.

As far as the racist isssue is concerned, South Africans are obviously in the state of total politicial correctness whereas Australians have moved on from that and feel a lot more comfortable with each other. It seems rich the complaint came from Andre Nel who has all the tact of a charging elephant.

Has anyone ever been to a international cricket match in South Africa?

I'd be very surprised if they're crowds were as bad as our's.

Good-natured bagging of opposition players is to be expected, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, racial abuse crosses the line. It is not acceptable, and it is giving our country a bad name around the world at the moment.

These heroes who sit in the crowd and think it is a tough thing to do to abuse a bloke who has absolutely no way of defending himself should be sent over to South Africa in a month's time and made to wear their comments on a t-shirt at the first test. If you're prepared to say it, back it up!

Gutless.

SpringChoke said:
South Africa points the finger at 'racist' Aussies
Peter Lalor
January 05, 2006

Wasnt Peter Lalor the guy who let the Eureka Stockade rebellion?

Anyway, racism on any level is disgusting. No one should cop that rubbish. Me thinks its got a lot to do with too much VB being ingested as well.

So they are branded as whingers for rightfully complaining about their coloured and black players being abused with racial taunts and their own white players being abused for playing with black and coloured players.

As far as I'm concerned they are thoroughly compelled to make a complaint.

Disgusting form of crowd behaviour from Australian society at its finest. They may well be expats because of the way the taunts were given out, but they are part of Australian society these days asnd to say that they are ex-pats as a means of just trying to escape any blame for this disgusting behaviour is a cop-out. They are Australian residents damaging the reputation of Auistralian crowds at cricket matches and it is something we should be bloody well concerned about.

docker_azza said:
So they are branded as whingers for rightfully complaining about their coloured and black players being abused with racial taunts and their own white players being abused for playing with black and coloured players.

As far as I'm concerned they are thoroughly compelled to make a complaint.

Disgusting form of crowd behaviour from Australian society at its finest. They may well be expats because of the way the taunts were given out, but they are part of Australian society these days asnd to say that they are ex-pats as a means of just trying to escape any blame for this disgusting behaviour is a cop-out. They are Australian residents damaging the reputation of Auistralian crowds at cricket matches and it is something we should be bloody well concerned about.

I agree with this. Whilst the people doing this are most likely expats (particularly the ones in WA), they really do need to realise that they aren't living in the old country any more and this sort of behaviour is completely unacceptable in this country.

apollo_creed said:
Why are you turning it into a contest?

The fact is it's unacceptable. South Africans are trying to seperate from there past and racially taunting them is pathetic.

The fact you're trying to turn it into something else reflects poorly on you my friend and is probably indicitave of your racial insensitivity.

I couldn't give a rats ass on how it relects on me. Ever since the disgraceful race riots in Sydney, all and sundry have come out and jumped on the "Australians are a bunch of racist red necks" bandwagon. I even have Sth Africans colleagues commenting on how racist Australians are. Surely the integrity/character/history of the accuser has to be regarded at some stage. Next we'll have the American Klu Klux Klan boycotting Australian products becuase of our treatment of people of Lebanese descent.

Just of interest, excatly how are Sth Africans trying to separate from their past. You mean by saying "we love black people" and "we say no to apartheid" or by giving their servents a mattress to sleep on?

While the few rednecks in the crowd should be righfully thrown out of the ground for their racist remarks and borish behaviour, Sth Africans branding Auystralians as racists reeks of hypocrisy.

Couldn't a country with a track record for racism wait a few decades before calling someone else racists. Really, they have a lot to learn. There is something hypocrytical about South Africa labeling someone else racists.

A few drunk sporting specators >>> than a regime that killed and opressed thousands. Yeah right.

From a Cricinfo article:

In the first Test at Perth, Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Garnett Kruger and Shaun Pollock were taunted in Afrikaans as "kaffirs" or "kaffir brothers". This prompted Ali Bacher, former South African captain and chief executive, to call for life bans for offenders. In the second Test in Melbourne a man was ejected from the ground for making racist and offensive comments towards Nel

So they were taunted in Afrikaans, I dunno how many Aussie fans know how to speak Afrikaans....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane McGoodwin said:
Play nicely on this thread! ie. Think before you post.
???

Well how about deleting the whole thread in which people are defending South African players being racially abused. Like this,

I'm tired of teams from other countries COMING TO AUSTRALIA and criticising us. If they don't like the way they are treated they can stay home. The Aussies cop just as much, if not worse from spectators around the world but for some reason the cricket world always wants to point the finger squarely at Australia. If these touring teams spent a little more time on their cricket instead of looking for excuses for poor performances they'd be a lot better off.

What does this have to do with anything?

Or this,

Couldn't a country with a track record for racism wait a few decades before calling someone else racists. Really, they have a lot to learn. There is something hypocrytical about South Africa labeling someone else racists.

A few drunk sporting specators >>> than a regime that killed and opressed thousands. Yeah right.

What does this have to do with anything?

All they've said there players have been subjected to 'racist taunts' from certain elements of the crowd. They haven't called Australian people racist so why people are arguing the racist history line is pathetic.

SpringChoke said:
I couldn't give a rats ass on how it relects on me. Ever since the disgraceful race riots in Sydney, all and sundry have come out and jumped on the "Australians are a bunch of racist red necks" bandwagon. I even have Sth Africans colleagues commenting on how racist Australians are. Surely the integrity/character/history of the accuser has to be regarded at some stage. Next we'll have the American Klu Klux Klan boycotting Australian products becuase of our treatment of people of Lebanese descent.

Just of interest, excatly how are Sth Africans trying to separate from their past. You mean by saying "we love black people" and "we say no to apartheid" or by giving their servents a mattress to sleep on?

While the few rednecks in the crowd should be righfully thrown out of the ground for their racist remarks and borish behaviour, Sth Africans branding Auystralians as racists reeks of hypocrisy.

All they've said is they don't like there players being subjected to racist taunts. Nothing more.

Your overlooking of that confirms your intentions.

While the few rednecks in the crowd should be righfully thrown out of the ground for their racist remarks and borish behaviour, Sth Africans branding Auystralians as racists reeks of hypocrisy

I fail to see where in your article he's called Australian people in general racist.

Therefore this thread should be either deleted or moved to the SCP board.

Because clearly whatever point your trying to make isn't present in the article.

JUBJUB said:
I liked Peter Roebucks comments yesterday about the racist comments.He said while it shouldn't be tolerated,Andre Nel does bring it on himself with his carrying on.
He brings racist taunts on himself?

Have you been paying attention to anything?

He's openly said he doesn't care if the crowd abuse him, infact he enjoys it.

No matter what Nel does on the field racial taunts aren't acceptable.

So Peter Roebuck's comments and yours ARE IRRELEVANT.

LarryLong said:
Good-natured bagging of opposition players is to be expected, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, racial abuse crosses the line. It is not acceptable, and it is giving our country a bad name around the world at the moment.

These heroes who sit in the crowd and think it is a tough thing to do to abuse a bloke who has absolutely no way of defending himself should be sent over to South Africa in a month's time and made to wear their comments on a t-shirt at the first test. If you're prepared to say it, back it up!
Gutless.

Good idea but it depends on where they sit as to what sort of reception they can expect. If they sit in the cheap seats, then they maybe in a bit of trouble. However, if they're sent to the Corporates they'll probably get a few pats on the back and free drinks.

apollo_creed said:
All they've said is they don't like there players being subjected to racist taunts. Nothing more.

Your overlooking of that confirms your intentions.

While the few rednecks in the crowd should be righfully thrown out of the ground for their racist remarks and borish behaviour, Sth Africans branding Auystralians as racists reeks of hypocrisy

I fail to see where in your article he's called Australian people in general racist.

Therefore this thread should be either deleted or moved to the SCP board.

Because clearly whatever point your trying to make isn't present in the article.

You're right. I should have posted this on the SCP board.

Personally, you have to expect some taunts. I mean, Australia get it when they go to New Zealand, Poms give it out too just as we give it to them. Indians probably give it out not that you'd know unless you understood indian. Pakistan probably give it to India and vice versa.

Isn't it funny, since the Sydney riots, how angry/outraged/vocal certain Non-Australians become when someone whispers Australian and racist in the same sentense. What's even more laughable, is that these sanctimonous few usually are from countries whose own record of racial tolerance is appalling
( NZ, Sth Africa, England etc ). Maybe they have other agendas. Maybe they just look for any reason to bag Australia and Australians? Maybe they're just showing the scars of Australia having humilating them time and time again in different sporting arenas? No surely they couldn't be that shallow could they, could they?

Jarryd_S said:
From a Cricinfo article:

In the first Test at Perth, Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Garnett Kruger and Shaun Pollock were taunted in Afrikaans as "kaffirs" or "kaffir brothers". This prompted Ali Bacher, former South African captain and chief executive, to call for life bans for offenders. In the second Test in Melbourne a man was ejected from the ground for making racist and offensive comments towards Nel

So they were taunted in Afrikaans, I dunno how many Aussie fans know how to speak Afrikaans....

While few would know afrikaans most would know the term 'kaffir'. Although according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir it isn't afrikaans in origin, however trustworthy that is.

Port01 said:
While few would know afrikaans most would know the term 'kaffir'. Although according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir it isn't afrikaans in origin, however trustworthy that is.
I barely know it. Besides, I can hardly imagine an Australian taunting them like that.

The offenders speak in afrikkans which suggests that they are expat south africans.

Tyran said:
The offenders speak in afrikkans which suggests that they are expat south africans.

Shhhhhhhh! Wouldnt want the truth to come out.

have read all posts on this thread and am pretty sure this question has not been asked - apologies if it has...

what exactly was the nature of the racial abuse of Andre Nel?

I can easily anticipate the type of crap that Ntini would cop from racists or rednecks from any country but Nel??

so pardon my ignorance but what could Nel have been called that was racially offensive?
i mean a comment can refer to someone's nationality without neccessarily being derogatory

for example:

"Nel you South African ********"

...is not a racist comment - just an observation ;)

I was one of those to loudly condemn the violence and racial spite of the recent riots in Sydney but it is important not to become too trigger-happy or sensitive with racial issues otherwise you can miss the context and see intent where there was none (e.g. the Dicky Knee/John Blackman issue)

If I was South Africa, I would try to exploit the current tension in Australia for a competitive edge but I would tread a very fine line when playing the morality card

for example, Ntini is a convicted rapist, Hershelle Gibbs and Co were bribed by bookies to fix matches etc - and let's not forget that SA were cut off from the rest of the world due to the extremely oppressive race-based apartheid regime in the not-too-distant past

so can anyone tell me or even speculate about what might have been said to Nel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back