Roast Stop Gunstoning Curtin, morons

Remove this Banner Ad

Fit enough to debut in the SANFL as FB against grown men, fit enough to play loose defender in the firsts.
Or wing.

Using so much draft capital on a loose defender is a waste. Especially given how good Worrell has been this year.

Curtin needs to be a mid. Playing him wing early gets him involved in that role.

And an upgrade on Sholl.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting post. Didn't Davis get dropped back to North after winning a rising star nomination.

Different face but the same culture.

Or wing.

Using so much draft capital on a loose defender is a waste. Especially given how good Worrell has been this year.

Curtin needs to be a mid. Playing him wing early gets him involved in that role.

And an upgrade on Sholl.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. Get him up around the ball if that's the long term plan. He gains nothing by playing deep in defense.

Let's say for the sake of argument that there's some reason they don't think Curtin is ready. They want him to work on something, they think he's lacking fitness, whatever. Should he still be picked because they are afraid if they don't pick him he will get disgruntled and leave?

How does this sit alongside wanting the club to be tough and uncompromising with, for example, contract management of valued players? Isn't selection integrity part of the same club DNA? Should North have made JHF take an ice bath or not?

I'd like to see Curtin get a game soon but I really don't see the big deal with him playing a few games at FB in the SANFL at the start of his first year, especially given the pre-season fitness issues. Partcularly up until now - I think if we are approaching mid-season and he's still fit and playing SANFL some of the angst would be more warranted.

Let's say for the sake of argument that there's some reason they don't think Curtin is ready. They want him to work on something, they think he's lacking fitness, whatever. Should he still be picked because they are afraid if they don't pick him he will get disgruntled and leave?

How does this sit alongside wanting the club to be tough and uncompromising with, for example, contract management of valued players? Isn't selection integrity part of the same club DNA? Should North have made JHF take an ice bath or not?

I'd like to see Curtin get a game soon but I really don't see the big deal with him playing a few games at FB in the SANFL at the start of his first year, especially given the pre-season fitness issues. Partcularly up until now - I think if we are approaching mid-season and he's still fit and playing SANFL some of the angst would be more warranted.
I don't care about him playing SANFL particularly

I do care about him playing SANFL in a thankless, non-productive role that doesn't utilise his strengths or allow him to experience any sort of personal success during a key period when he should be learning to love the club

Because it means we see him as a KPD which is a complete waste and misread of his skill set

For what it's worth they have tried Curtin in a few roles at SANFL level, he hasn't just been sitting at FB for three games. I think they do specifically want him to play FB, but he's been up the ground or across half-back at times. This week I'm guessing maybe it was about playing on McBean in particular.

Couldn't agree more.

Every week this guy plays SANFL, the Weagles will be just getting that bit more confident.

Elite talent getting played out of position in the 2s. Such an AFC thing to do.

The absolutely sheer arrogance of this club to be 1-5 and refusing to play any of our recent draftees, even just to give them a taste, whilst cooked 'leaders' like Smith and Laird run around is just soul destroying.

Interesting post. Didn't Davis get dropped back to North after winning a rising star nomination.

Correct, in a win against Geelong during a winning streak where we looked to be charging to the finals. He then got dropped for Bock who was GC-bound who then proceeded to then directly give up four goals in the Showdown where we lost by said margin.

Season over.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we've got a pretty tight defencsive group and Brodie's leadership is a key ingredient. He'll get games when injury occurs and form warrants. He had an interrupted preseason and he's still got some things he needs to work on in the lower league.
You know there is a problem when this type of posts sounds exactly like what the club would say without the sarcasm.

Crushers have got to know their place.

For what it's worth they have tried Curtin in a few roles at SANFL level, he hasn't just been sitting at FB for three games. I think they do specifically want him to play FB, but he's been up the ground or across half-back at times. This week I'm guessing maybe it was about playing on McBean in particular.
And he’s looked better when he’s moved up the ground so does make sense to then put him back to FB

Spot on. What we are doing with this kid is criminal.

If he has been training at half back during the preseason and played there in the first SANFL games, he would be playing AFL and instead of messing around with an injured and badly out of form Smith, Parnell and Hamill, he’d be playing AFL.

But because of his height we are thinking KPD and KPD only. We have found 3 cheap KPD, 2 of high quality. We blew a pick 6 on a KPD. How the * have we not learnt? Are we that dumb or that arrogant that we think we don’t need to worry about pissing him off? This besides all the draft hype about him being a flight risk.

Playing FB as an undersized kid against grown men in a s**t side, whilst all the other top picks are playing, whilst the seniors have been lucky to win one game. Like what’s there not to like, what’s the risk?

If this bloke wants to walk early the club just has to fold, it just has to.

Unfortunately our coaches are both dumb and arrogant, hence the situation we are in.

They are too arrogant to acknowledge how stupid they are.

Four or five changes to the side and we would be in such a better place, infuriating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's still makes me laugh to this day. Neil Craig refused to play dangerfield in the midfield and wouldn't play Tex and then Sanderson comes in in his first year plays danger in the guts and plays Tex and magically we were minor premiers and made a preliminary final. Danger polls well in brownlow, Tex kicks a stack of goals and everyone thought sando was a genius. Truth be known craigy was a stubborn fool and it probably cost his job.
I've got no doubt with a change of coach you will suddenly see Curtin playing AFL further up the field (either mid or wing/HB). Unfortunately, he has been pigeon holed under this current coaching setup and I can't see it changed until they are gone. For our sakes, I hope this change isn't too late.

Selection integrity is important, so why is Brodie Smith still in the AFL side?

Curtin is an elite talent and if we recruited him to become a KPD, given we already have 4 on the list, then this was a major recruiting error.

He is not just a bit part midfielder that went in there for spurts in the U18s, he spent full games there and was BOG in some of those. He looks a natural midfielder. If we wait until year 3 to even try him in the middle, he won't be here in year 4.

Considering the multitude of poor decisions this club is continuing to make, what they are doing with Curtin right now is no.1 in stupidity :mad:

Going off long term memory but I think he came in for an injured Bock. Played very well and ultimately won a rising star nomination the week before Bock got fit again so it was "back to the ressies kid".

Sports fans will remember about a month later the bloke we dropped him for (Bock) had his bags packed and was on the way to the Gold Coast.

Selection integrity is important, so why is Brodie Smith still in the AFL side?

Curtin is an elite talent and if we recruited him to become a KPD, given we already have 4 on the list, then this was a major recruiting error.
At times it truly seems like our list management team and our coaches are on entirely different wavelengths.

And he’s looked better when he’s moved up the ground so does make sense to then put him back to FB
As a first year player you don't just look at someone like Curtin playing half a game at FB and a quarter up the ground and conclude that because he looked more comfortable up the ground there's no value in him playing as a KPD at all. Playing loose across half-back is obviously a lot easier, for one. They should be looking to try him in multiple roles and develop his skills, in particular obviously his defensive skills as he's been recruited as a defender and he's going to need to defend at times. They should hopefully be clearly communicating to him as well about what they are asking him to work on.

Now if we don't think we are capable of developing him well that's another thing, but in principle I think he should be spending time defending. There's a difference between that and pigeon-holing him as a replacement for Butts or something. I just don't buy at all the argument that Curtin is a midfielder and playing him in other roles is a waste of time, akin to if we asked Soligo to play full back or something. He's a tall defender who looks like he could potentially play a number of roles. His drafting profiles all pick him as the best KPD of his draft year who also looked good playing midfield at times. His first year is a great time to experiment and expose him to different facets of the game.

As a first year player you don't just look at someone like Curtin playing half a game at FB and a quarter up the ground and conclude that because he looked more comfortable up the ground there's no value in him playing as a KPD at all. Playing loose across half-back is obviously a lot easier, for one. They should be looking to try him in multiple roles and develop his skills, in particular obviously his defensive skills as he's been recruited as a defender and he's going to need to defend at times. They should hopefully be clearly communicating to him as well about what they are asking him to work on.

Now if we don't think we are capable of developing him well that's another thing, but in principle I think he should be spending time defending. There's a difference between that and pigeon-holing him as a replacement for Butts or something. I just don't buy at all the argument that Curtin is a midfielder and playing him in other roles is a waste of time, akin to if we asked Soligo to play full back or something. He's a tall defender who looks like he could potentially play a number of roles. His drafting profiles all pick him as the best KPD of his draft year who also looked good playing midfield at times. His first year is a great time to experiment and expose him to different facets of the game.
The issue is the majority of the time he’s spending at FB and the club keep referring to him as KPD. He’s an 18 year old kid being asked to man the competitions best KPF.

Let him develop his game, let him develop physically before throwing him to the wolves.

But if we’ve drafted another KPD with a top 10 pick that is a massive fail, again.

Keane and Murray are 2 quality key defenders. Butts isn’t a bad back up, Borlase isn’t a bad back up. All come cheaply. We have thrown too much draft capital already at our defence, let it develop, it’s already holding up well even with our injuries.

Focus on the midfield FFS. I know you like to take the clubs view on things but cmon, surely you can see this whole thing is ****ed. If you’re unsure, just look at how many years we haven’t played finals for and our 1-5 record.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back