Stop the Reverse Draft Idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
As you all know, this year, the draft will be done in a reverse order, which the majority of people do not like, and agree that it makes the draft less interesting

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savethedraft

If we got enough people to sign that, i reckon that the AFL might just realise that they have made a mistake

Fake signatures are encouraged and welcome

Really not sure what all the whining is about. It will be exciting either way. If Gary Rohan doesn't go at Sydney's or North's pick, we'll all be edge of our seats waiting to see if the Freo rumours are true. That could be the case for several selections.

There are merits both ways, let's give it a go and see what it's like.

How does the draft work if it is like that? Does that mean you can pick up Tom Scully at pick 60 or something? How do you know who's gone and available.

How does the draft work if it is like that? Does that mean you can pick up Tom Scully at pick 60 or something? How do you know who's gone and available.

The top ten will be done privately before the broadcast then the countdown from 10 to 1 done live on air. All in all a 30 minute top ten special will be broadcast. Pick 11 onwards will revert as normal with teams having 2mins to chose their players.

As you all know, this year, the draft will be done in a reverse order, which the majority of people do not like, and agree that it makes the draft less interesting

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savethedraft

If we got enough people to sign that, i reckon that the AFL might just realise that they have made a mistake

Fake signatures are encouraged and welcome

I reckon you reckon wrong.

Andy D never admits he's wrong, let alone for some two-bit bullshit internet petitions.

You probably like Facebook petitions too, yeah? They make our world a significantly better place, don't they? Don't they?!

Really not sure what all the whining is about. It will be exciting either way. If Gary Rohan doesn't go at Sydney's or North's pick, we'll all be edge of our seats waiting to see if the Freo rumours are true. That could be the case for several selections.

There aren't merits both ways, the reverse order is absolute rubbish, it has nothing over the original order. As the draft is half way through from 10 to 5, everyone knows who the last 5 players will be and assuming Rohan and Jetta were selected by Sydney and West Coast respectivley, then everyone will know the last 5's order as well. Then they'll try to make it climactic with the last 2 draftees in Scully and Trengove and will have some sort of announcement for "Who will be taken at Number 1?, find out after the break!". Rubbish.

I'm signing, even if it doesn't mean squat. The AFL truly are an idiodic bunch. Especially since Demetriou arrived.

The reverse order thing is just nuts.

What I don't get is why they are putting it on at 6pm and finishing it 90 minutes later. Give every side in the top 17 a maximum 5 (and minium 3) minutes to decide on its selection for R1, max 3 mins for R2 then 2 minutes for each round thereafter. I'd watch it!! Gives Fox the time to delve deep into each player as and when they are selected.

AFL is not that smart sometimes. The televising of the draft has been the cheapest telly imaginable for years, and when they do put it on at prime time, they stuff it up majorly.

Build the suspense, don't take it away

I reckon you reckon wrong.

Andy D never admits he's wrong, let alone for some two-bit bullshit internet petitions.

Two-bit bullshit internet petitions? You mean the voice of the fans? The fans of the sport that Andy D is supposed to be the custodian of. So if he is not going to pay attention to the opinion of the fans, then who is he going to listen to?

Oh wait now I get...

There aren't merits both ways, the reverse order is absolute rubbish, it has nothing over the original order. As the draft is half way through from 10 to 5, everyone knows who the last 5 players will be and assuming Rohan and Jetta were selected by Sydney and West Coast respectivley, then everyone will know the last 5's order as well. Then they'll try to make it climactic with the last 2 draftees in Scully and Trengove and will have some sort of announcement for "Who will be taken at Number 1?, find out after the break!". Rubbish.

I'm signing, even if it doesn't mean squat. The AFL truly are an idiodic bunch. Especially since Demetriou arrived.

Wrong. Most people here, who suffer from a small case of football obsession, are likely to know, the wider viewing public will not. Not every football lover spends their days and nights on BF. It will hold appeal for a large proportion of the general public who love the idea of countdowns. It's time to build a bridge people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far too much common sense in this post ;)

Get over it princess.

Yes, I'd prefer it the normal way but all we are losing is the 'suspense' of the first 3 picks which are pretty much set in stone anyway so there is no suspense even if we go the normal way.

Imagine when Essendon annouce their first pick as Morabito, everyone will be "wtf?' and wondering who the bolters were to cause him to slip this much.

It'll still be a bit exciting but with waning excitement.

Wrong. Most people here, who suffer from a small case of football obsession, are likely to know, the wider viewing public will not. Not every football lover spends their days and nights on BF. It will hold appeal for a large proportion of the general public who love the idea of countdowns. It's time to build a bridge people.

I'd wager that the vast majority of the tv audience will be people like us bigfootyites who suffer from a small case of footy obsession.

Your average casual follower isn't going to have much interest in watching a bunch of names they've probably never heard of being read out.

Two-bit bullshit internet petitions? You mean the voice of the fans? The fans of the sport that Andy D is supposed to be the custodian of. So if he is not going to pay attention to the opinion of the fans, then who is he going to listen to?

Oh wait now I get...

depressing, isn't it?

Do you reckon the general public would care either way though? None of the names would mean anything to them, unless they knew who they were, and if they knew who they were, they'd have a fair idea of the draft order anyway.

worst idea in the history of ideas

seriously who came up with this idea?? some anonymous marketing guy or can we actually put a face to this idea???

The reverse order thing is just nuts.

What I don't get is why they are putting it on at 6pm and finishing it 90 minutes later. Give every side in the top 17 a maximum 5 (and minium 3) minutes to decide on its selection for R1, max 3 mins for R2 then 2 minutes for each round thereafter. I'd watch it!! Gives Fox the time to delve deep into each player as and when they are selected.

AFL is not that smart sometimes. The televising of the draft has been the cheapest telly imaginable for years, and when they do put it on at prime time, they stuff it up majorly.

Build the suspense, don't take it away

If you're going to go this far, you might as well forget about telecasting the draft(or just broadcast it through afl.com.au like usual) and instead just have Fox do a program(akin to a delayed telecast) that just runs through each pick in their own time, otherwise the actual draft will become a snore fest for those actually there. Generally the recruiters are so prepared that they just read out their picks straight away, especially in the first/second rounds. You could give them all a maximum of 10 seconds and none would require extra time. If there's a minimum time, the recruiters would just sit there waiting for their 3 mins to be up.

What you could do is extend the break between rounds, giving Fox time to run through the players picked up with each pick at the end of each round. Or just have a 30-60 second clip of each player, that gets played as soon as the players name gets read out and following this clip, the next pick takes place.

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of blind draft, where teams need to submit lists to the afl naming thier players in order of preference and a computer then just works out the highest ranked player still available at any particular selection. Might make it more interesting given clubs won't know what other clubs are doing before they have to make selections. Should in theory still workout the same but might make it possible for clubs to pull a trick or two out of the bag to try and get the players they want.

Trying to make a spectacle of something that isn't. I mean seriously, who's going to watch it??? But then again, this is why AFL television rights are hoing for $1b+. They work out ways of making the most of the game and the product in general. Another hour or so of footy on television that would not of been a cple years ago. Well done to the AFL. Another example of why AFL is streets ahead of every other sporting comp in the country.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop the Reverse Draft Idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Back