Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Not looking great for the "Sporting Capital". A RL team that needed to cheat to survive and a fear of the World Cup.

Time that label died don't you think?

Melbourne's title as the nations sporting capital still shines.

The Rabbitohs have officially become the first NRL club to crack the 15,000 membership mark after Coogee locals Liberty and Atticus Corbett signed on at Redfern HQ yesterday.

Souths now have 8625 ticket members - the highest of all Sydney clubs - but say it's the addition of extra packages that now sees their membership bringing in $2 million annually.

Yeah, Sydney people are such passionate fans and so numerous :rolleyes:

The problem isn't Melbourne, its trying to sell a product that isnt that appealing.

Not looking great for the "Sporting Capital". A RL team that needed to cheat to survive and a fear of the World Cup.

Seriously, WTF has one little club's possible demise (not certain by any means) got to do with Melbourne not being the sporting capital of Australia.

Our "title" is built of consistent huge international and national sporting events that to put it ****ing simply, can not be matched by any city in this country, and by very few on earth.

I could rattle off the list of international and national sporting events to once again embarrass that tourist city of Sydney, but seriously, Do I really have to?

We are by so far the "sporting capital" of this country, that to dispute that because Sydney has had one Olympics and maybe a once ever World Cup (yet to win and host) is rather ludicrous.

The Sydney vs Melbourne fight shouldn't be on the agenda here, the prime thought here should be for the survival of the Melbourne Storm, or for the relocation of the team if that is in the best interest of the NRL.

It seems likely that the relocation of the Storm to Brisbane as the second Brisbane team will be debated now, and if it occurs, the NRL will have taken such a huge step backwards, and so will have Sydney (the home of Aussie Rugby) that it will almost be laughable as a primary AFL fan.

The NRL by taking away the rest of the Storms points for the season has basically laid down an ultimatum to News Ltd that they either fork out Millions more to keep Storm afloat or basically "give up".

Sydney bureaucracy at it's best (or worst).:mad::(

Umm NO.

I'm sure the Australian Open, Australian Grand Prix, AFL premiership,Melbourne Cup(the race that stops a nation), 2 soccer teams, Cricket team, and now a union team and numerous other sporting events from world champs, commonwealth games and original olympic city and original capital of Austrlia will still have Melbourne known as the sporting capital of the world.

Melbourne Storm are not the first team and probably won't be the last team to be guilty of this, and just because they come from Melbourne doesn't reflect that the rest of Victoria are this way. I'm sure the Canterbuty Bulldogs have shown that this type of cheating is not subject to location and doesn't reflect on the people in the similar location.

You need to let your obvious, small minded, Vic hating ways go elswhere. If you follow the NRL more than any other sport, you should be more worried about the health of the game you love and leave your petty jealousy behind.

A joke, yes?

Didn't the Sydney Kings die, even after 3 championships in a row?

Didn't the Swans need a Melbourne identity to create a brand in Sydney in the early 90s?

Don't Melbourne Victory average the highest crowd attendance in the A-League?

Don't even the least-supported AFL clubs get more people to their games then the most-supported NRL clubs?

Don't we have the Australian Open?

And the Grand Prix?

And the AFL Grand Final (which is a NATIONAL event. The NRL Grand Final is a NSW/QLD event)?

And a NRL State of Origin match which regularly sells out?

I can keep going if you like.

EDIT: Also Melbourne Cup, arguably the greatest horse race in the world.

In what sense did they not have any other choice? They had plenty of choice. There were many other ways to punish the Storm that wouldn't have lead to the club being annihilated.

One particularly good idea that I heard was to force the Storm to make all games free for spectators. Financial punishment while keeping fan support.

My honest opinion is that I would have kept the premierships, as there is no point as the other clubs don't want a hollow win anyway. However I would have gone this way:

1. Fine of $3.4 million in a lump sum (double the total figure)
2. Only allowed $2.75 million under the cap for the next 3 seasons.
3. All points stripped this year (I agree with this one, there should be no way the Storm should be able to make the 8 this season)
4. No buying new players for 12 months

This way we have a massive deterrent, and with the club only being allowed 75% of the spending for the next 3 season, it will hurt the club and the players (who frankly would have known about it)

Lol precious people, when did I say Sydney is the sporting capital? I didn't.

Is anyone disputing that you're scared of the most famous game in the world? Or that the Storm needed to cheat to survive? Just doesn't seem like things I'd associate with a "Sporting Capital", that's all.

Oh and I'm not a huge fan of league at all, the Sydney Swans are and will always be the team I'm most passionate about. I have a passing interest in the Roosters, so to suggest I follow the NRL more than any other sporting orginisation is naive.

My honest opinion is that I would have kept the premierships, as there is no point as the other clubs don't want a hollow win anyway. However I would have gone this way:

1. Fine of $3.4 million in a lump sum (double the total figure)
2. Only allowed $2.75 million under the cap for the next 3 seasons.
3. All points stripped this year (I agree with this one, there should be no way the Storm should be able to make the 8 this season)
4. No buying new players for 12 months

This way we have a massive deterrent, and with the club only being allowed 75% of the spending for the next 3 season, it will hurt the club and the players (who frankly would have known about it)

Yeah, see... the problem with your solution is still that it basically forces the club to fold.

Paul Kent (News ltd journalist) on the Matty Johns Show was just saying that he might be gone by the end of the week.

Of course he was assuming that Craig knew about it. I'm 50/50 whether he did know.
TBH 100% of coaches wouldnt know or care what each and every player is getting payed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, see... the problem with your solution is still that it basically forces the club to fold.

No it doesn't. They still have a fair chance to field a reasonable outfit over the next 3 years. Yes they will lose some stars (well they should, they cheated to keep the players in the first place), but it does not make them fold. They will have to rely on their U/20's in the next 3 years, and if Bellamy is as good as he says, he should be fine.

Is anyone disputing that you're scared of the most famous game in the world?

We are not scared of Golf.:p:eek:

Most participated, watched and enjoyed sport on earth.

As to Soccer, as an AFL fan I understand the AFL's stance on the Soccer World Cup, would you shut down your business for 3 months (costing all you employees/teams) just so one of your competitors could hold it's biggest 4 yearly meeting in your own backyard?

If so, your business must have gone broke ages ago.:p

A joke, yes?

Didn't the Swans need a Melbourne identity to create a brand in Sydney in the early 90s?

You're using a proud Victorian club who failed to survive in Victoria as an example? Please tell me you're not.

Don't even the least-supported AFL clubs get more people to their games then the most-supported NRL clubs?

The AFL has been propping Victorian clubs up for years, in some cases more than "interstate" teams. Really the AFL in general is a shocking example.

And the AFL Grand Final (which is a NATIONAL event. The NRL Grand Final is a NSW/QLD event)?

The AFL Grand Final would be a huge National event even if hosted in Sydney. It would still sell out, the ground would still be full. It's only hosted there because of it's history in Victoria, but even that little bush league needed the other states in Australia to help it survive.

My message is pretty much stop using the AFL as an example.

It really is impossible to question anything about Melbourne without it being turned into a Melbourne V Sydney thing. I'm aware Sydney's sporting landscape is flawed in many ways, but that's hardly the point as I'm not claiming it as the Sporting Capital of the World.

How do you determine what the Storm will be thinking before the game? Do they play properly and try to win? Do they go out there and just not give a feck? Do they just not turn up at all? It's basically potential match fixing, except nobody's getting paid.

Massive potential for rorting here. All betting agencies would be wise to not accept any bets for any storm game this year. All it would take is for a few Storm players to be paid off by a crooked punter against a poor opponent to swing a game the other way. Granted, this is always possible, but at least the carrot of premiership points would usually be enough to play 100%. Don't forget, player integrity is already compromised.

Time that label died don't you think?[/quote]

Lol precious people, when did I say Sydney is the sporting capital? I didn't.

Is anyone disputing that you're scared of the most famous game in the world? Or that the Storm needed to cheat to survive? Just doesn't seem like things I'd associate with a "Sporting Capital", that's all.

Oh and I'm not a huge fan of league at all, the Sydney Swans are and will always be the team I'm most passionate about. I have a passing interest in the Roosters, so to suggest I follow the NRL more than any other sporting orginisation is naive.

When did anyone accuse you of saying that Sydney is the sporting capital? You were the one that suggested that the label died for Melbourne. We were just pointing out your ignorance is only exceeded by your stupidity.

As for the world game maybe in a 100 years they might get a crowd of 100,000 like we do the AFL grand final, Melbourne cup, Grand Prix event, Boxing Day test, Austalian Open Event, Commonwealth Games Event, World Champ Swimming event. By then I'll be dead and won't give a Sh*t.

Although when Melbourne the lynch pin in securing the World cup to Australia as they have 3 stadiums capable of hosting games might see the first 100,000 crowd to a soccer game. Also if you read my original post in this thread i wrote the big winner out of this will be soccer.

I would like you to explain how the cheaters Storm reflects on all the other sporting events in Melbourne? Your obvious Victorian jealousy is showing through.

Massive potential for rorting here. All betting agencies would be wise to not accept any bets for any storm game this year. All it would take is for a few Storm players to be paid off by a crooked punter against a poor opponent to swing a game the other way. Granted, this is always possible, but at least the carrot of premiership points would usually be enough to play 100%. Don't forget, player integrity is already compromised.

Personally, if I was a Storm player, I'd just go fricken nuts on the pitch. Run the wrong way, tackle my teammates, use conversion attempts as a chance to hit the guy with the big glasses sitting in row Z...

No it doesn't. They still have a fair chance to field a reasonable outfit over the next 3 years. Yes they will lose some stars (well they should, they cheated to keep the players in the first place), but it does not make them fold. They will have to rely on their U/20's in the next 3 years, and if Bellamy is as good as he says, he should be fine.

No points at all this season = no supporters = club folds. It's that simple. The NRL has already signed the Storm's death warrant.

When did anyone accuse you of saying that Sydney is the sporting capital? You were the one that suggested that the label died for Melbourne. We were just pointing out your ignorance is only exceeded by your stupidity.

You don't need to, just bringing Sydney into the argument is irrelevant because it's got nothing to do with what I posted. The "You suck" "Well, you suck too" argument just doesn't work.

Why couldn't the Storm survive without cheating? That shows little faith in the franchise and the people of Melbourne, so when you're claiming to be the sporting capital of the WORLD, not just Australia but the World as we know it, that doesn't look good.

It's a label that some people still like to hold on to but it's just an empty label these days.

Sad day for Australian sport really.

Feel really sorry for all the Storm supporters. However I cant believe some of them are blaming the NRL. They should be pointing the fingers directly at the Storm big wigs that allowed this too happen.

The NRL had to dish out some punishment and severe ones at that. Though Im not sure about rendering the Storms season as pointless.

Sad day for Australian sport really.

Feel really sorry for all the Storm supporters. However I cant believe some of them are blaming the NRL. They should be pointing the fingers directly at the Storm big wigs that allowed this too happen.

The NRL had to dish out some punishment and severe ones at that. Though Im not sure about rendering the Storms season as pointless.
well I can believe it - today theve had their hearts ripped out and need to find anyone and everyone to blame

when the rawest of emotion dies down they wont blame the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back