Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

They will. The Melbourne market is too important not to.

The Storm will survive in some form.

Good luck, if you think Western Sydney is hard work for the AFL, the Vic market is going to be harder. If players and coaches are found to be involved nothing can save them.

According to recent media reports Waldron said that more than 2 members of the board knew "everything" about the payments.

Also Storm have said that "players will be going" .....

How am I an Internet Hero?
Because you were personally insulting. It's one thing to disagree, but as far as I'm concerned, there was absolutely no need to suggest that my opinion is idiotic and that I am embarrassing myself, because I do not feel that way at all!
I'm stating my opinion which is that your post was incredibly idiotic, which it is.
No it's not idiotic, and your condescending response to my opinion makes you an Internet hero as I had previously stated. It's one thing to disagree with a poster, but it's another to do so in a patronising manner. I will not do that to others, and I have either very little or zero tolerance for others to do that to me. If it is a poster that I have conversed with previously, then my tolerance level is greater, but I cannot even remember reading a previous post of yours.
Haha on your ignore list, you've prob got half the posters in this thread there too?
No, just one other, and this will be the last post of yours that I read. Hopefully in the future when you disagree with other posters, you will do so in a more respectful manner.
I'll refer to the Madoff scandal just to prove my point. It directly affected more than 4,800 clients (not including their families) and costing them billions of dollars.
I'm completely aware of the Bernie Madoff scheme, and in fact, back in March of last year when he pleaded guilty to eleven felony charges, I began a thread on the topic, but why didn't you if you feel so bloody strongly about it? You didn't even contribute to the thread! :rolleyes:
2 people committed suicide, René-Thierry Magon de la Villehuchet and William Foxton so imagine their families when you can somehow compare a rugby team losing 2 premierships to them losing a loved one.
Who the hell do you think you are? How dare you throw that in my face?!?! Firstly, I have actually spent some of my own time volunteering for Bernie Madoff victims here in New York City in the past fifteen months, so therefore I think they would actually thank me! Have you done that? Secondly, my sympathies go far beyond the victims of such schemes and even to gamblers that blow all of their savings. Many of the victims were reckless and/or greedy though. Many were naive.

There is a risk involved with investing life savings on investments and gambling, but the players (and supporters) that were unaware of this gave their all for up to five years, but were betrayed by an organisation they should have been able to trust. I personally would never have trusted a scheme such as Bernie Madoff's, and I would not risk all of my savings on poker machines, and many of the victims realise that not only is Madoff one of the lowest scumbags on earth, but they were also foolish for risking so much. I have investments that are doing well, but they are much lower risk.
I understand this is a case of corporate fraud, never said it wasn't (the previous post was suppose to read "but comparing this to the corporate frauds scandals")
Firstly, you stated in this post that comparing this to corporate fraud is idiotic, but it is corporate fraud! Are you trying to suggest that this systematic breaching of the salary cap over five years was not corporate fraud? :confused:
All i'm stating is your comparison of this to other corporate fraud scandals is grossly over estimated.
I said that in many ways it is the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron, and it is! Particularly in Australia. The ramifications will be deep, and ongoing for a very long time. That said, in many ways, the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme is the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron, and overall, it is bigger than this Melbourne Storm scandal too of course.
Once again, comparing this to Enron is bizarre.
You think it's bizarre because I did not compare it to Enron! There is no doubt of course that the Enron scandal was much bigger, and nor have I stated otherwise! Why didn't you open your bloody eyes and read my post properly before you responded in such a patronising and condescending fashion?
I cannot understand how you could think the biggest bankruptcy case in US history (at the time) is equal to a rugby team's issues. Shareholders lost $11 billion at the time, $74 billion in their final 4 years and more than 20,000 lost their jobs.
Not only do I have little tolerance for condescending and patronising Internet heroes such as yourself, but I also have little tolerance for people that choose to respond to other people's posts without reading them first, and you have shown multiple times that you don't read posts properly before responding! Never at any sage did I state that this scandal is the equal of Enron, and you twisting my words to suit yourself does not change that! :thumbsdown:
If you bother to reply to my post, the least you can do is read this.
What a hypocrite. You want me to read your post, yet you have shown that don't read mine thoroughly. :rolleyes: Of my original post that you responded to regarding this, you jumped all over one sentence, while ignoring everything else that I said. If you disagree with someone in the future, then hopefully you won't refer to it as idiotic and that the poster should be embarrassed. If you're not going to read a post thoroughly before responding, or if you disagree with an opinion, then hopefully you will ask for clarification instead of insulting someone that you don't know or have ever conversed with previously. That is weak. :thumbsdown:

From the Rabbitohs Forum

There are plenty of other threads in the NRL and Storm board to post your comments.

Please don't litter this section with hate posts as fans from other clubs have done.

I respectfully ask you to remember how we felt when we were kicked out before you comment.

According to recent media reports Waldron said that more than 2 members of the board knew "everything" about the payments.

Also Storm have said that "players will be going" .....

This is the thing:

"This is an absolute shock to myself, to our football staff, to our players," Bellamy said. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/p...lary-cap-rorting/story-e6frf9if-1225857163988
The players? You mean the ones taking the extra money? How are they shocked, except at getting caught?

This is the thing:

The players? You mean the ones taking the extra money? How are they shocked, except at getting caught?
Would they even know that they were being paid more than they should? except at tax time I guess. :confused:

Now Bellamy would of had to of known, he would have the biggest say in what each player is worth to the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallop has moved in quickly today to prevent the fiasco of 2004 when the dogs were able to retain a star-studded team because they all offered to take 'pay cuts'.

If the storm want to retain players, they must pay them what they are currently being paid with that club. They will therefore have to shed players next year.

I don't even understand, all I've read in this thread so that may be it.

Over 5 years, the storm went over their salary cap by 1.7million? So now they lose everything?

That's a bit harsh don't you think?

Gallop has moved in quickly today to prevent the fiasco of 2004 when the dogs were able to retain a star-studded team because they all offered to take 'pay cuts'.

If the storm want to retain players, they must pay them what they are currently being paid with that club. They will therefore have to shed players next year.

What a douchebag; he goes on about how the Storm should look at the Bulldogs as an example of how to pull themselves back from this, and then he does that.

More clear than ever that the NRL are either really stupid, or they want to get rid of the Storm.

I don't even understand, all I've read in this thread so that may be it.

Over 5 years, the storm went over their salary cap by 1.7million? So now they lose everything?

That's a bit harsh don't you think?
The abuse accelerated exponentially. They exceeded the cap by $1.1M in 2009 when they won the Premiership.

Given that the total cap is $4.4M, that's a pretty enormous level of cheating, even before you take into account the fraud ramifications, the systematic and long-term nature of it, and the fact that the game has been brought into disrepute.

The abuse accelerated exponentially. They exceeded the cap by $1.1M in 2009 when they won the Premiership.

Given that the total cap is $4.4M, that's a pretty enormous level of cheating, even before you take into account the fraud ramifications, the systematic and long-term nature of it, and the fact that the game has been brought into disrepute.

So if that is the case, and we are 700k over this season, wouldn't that be 1.8 million over 2 years rather than the 1.7 over 5 that has been widely reported?

What a douchebag; he goes on about how the Storm should look at the Bulldogs as an example of how to pull themselves back from these, and then he does that.

More clear than ever that the NRL are either really stupid, or they want to get rid of the Storm.

I'd say he's learning from his mistakes. Allowing the players to take a pay cut is a slap in the face to every other club because the Storm were cheating to keep those players and by letting them take a pay cut you're effectively letting them keep a list that isn't rightfully theirs to keep.

So if that is the case, and we are 700k over this season, wouldn't that be 1.8 million over 2 years rather than the 1.7 over 5 that has been widely reported?
That can't be right, it is $1.7 million over 2006-2010, including $700,000 in 2010. Thus it must be $1.1 million over 2006-2009.

Yeah, you must be right. EDIT: I went and checked, my bad. $700K this year and $400K last year, so $1.1M over the last two seasons (not just last season). Sorry.

I was having a think about whether this punishment was disproportionate compared to what happened to the Dogs, so I looked into it.

The Bulldogs were found to be guilty of systematic, deliberate and ongoing salary cap breaches totalling $920K in 2002. They were fined $500K and because it was fairly late in the season, they had all their points stripped and as a result finished as wooden spooners. Police investigated and 2 officials were charged with fraud, forgery and theft and received extensive gaol time (IIRC it was 5-10 without parole).

Now, the Dogs hadn't won a minor or a major premiership for 7 years, and the breaches all related to the current year. But if the fraud hadn't been uncovered til the following season (and they'd won in 2002, which seemed a pretty good chance) I wouldn't have been surprised to see them stripped.

Condeming the Storm to play the rest of the season without winning a point seems harsh, but because it's so early in the year they couldn't simply strip them (with this side they could well still make the 8). I dare say that if this had been uncovered in July or August they would have just lost all their points like the Dogs did.

So overall I think the reaction here is fairly proportionate. It's just really tough on fans to have Premierships taken away that everyone thought were done and dusted.

This is the thing:

Liked these quotes from morning paper...

Meanwhile, it was revealed this morning that Storm's disgraced former chief told the club "everyone does it" when he was confronted about the massive salary cap breaches.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Five past and present club officials face investigation.

They are Waldron, acting CEO Matt Hanson, chief financial officer Paul Gregory, former chief financial officer Cameron Vale, who left after a falling-out with Waldron to join North Melbourne, and former recruiting manager Peter O'Sullivan

According to Fox Cameron vale is the wistle blower....

We never Blame*
To the tune of It Never Rains by Dire Straits

After over five seasons of wins
The terrible sin made the walls fall on you
The thinner they are mate
The sooner they’ll fall on you
For the fans it’s more than a game - they shed a tear
At the cold empty ground
Oh we never blame around here
But it comes on Storming down

You’ve got no more respect
What do you expect – now that the rats are out
With suits like that mate
Good suits you’ll now have to go without
And now they’ve taken your cups and shields
From your cold empty ground
Oh we never blame around here
But it keeps on Storming down

You’re Alpha Romeo
Where’d it go, when the audit hit town
The more expensive they are mate
The faster they’ll go to another ground
Leaving pain and the echo of cheers
Now you're down
Yes and we never blame around here
But it just keeps on Storming down.

The golden years now a tarnished memory
Victorians started to believe in you
I saw you shaking hands with perjury
Did you know I started to believe in you?
5th tackled by the wheel of fortune
Your busy trying to clear your game
You say ‘We may be sorry, yes we’re in the poo. But
It’s the office who should take the blame’
See you could have been Rugby League defenders
But you made your money your breaks
See that just makes you lying pretenders
What where you all thinking you snakes?
But now you’re hiding in the shadows
Playing for nothing and drinking beers
Oh I can swear I hear you say, way too late in the day
We’ve just been looking for those missing years