Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling Brian Waldron had something to do with this. He signed up for the Storm as CEO 5 years ago, hey look at that 5 years of rorting.
According to this article, John Hartigan believes that Brian Waldron is the architect of this planned and deliberate breach. All clubs and businesses that he has been involved with should be thoroughly investigated.
He pisses off to become the CEO of the Melbourne Rebels, and look at that, as soon as he does the story comes out and the crap hits the fan.
I don't think he will remain in his new position. If he is in fact the architect of this shocking act of keeping two sets of books, then hopefully he will spend time in prison. The same goes for any other people that are a major part of this.

Why how many Premierships did they strip them of?

How would you feel if they stripped Brisbane Lions of their 3? Was a similar advantage.

Completely different, the Lions acted within the laws of the game, agreed to by both the AFL and the Clubs.

The Storm saw the rules and ignored them

Good leadership by the NRL leadership. It makes our AFL leadership look weak in comparison in their penalties to two certain clubs.

On the news right now, they have mentioned that these breaches will be referred to the police.

Player retention ?

LMAO

Lets list off the players who have moved on the last 3 years ....

Keep your stupid f..kin game north of the murray anyway

Joke of a sport run by jokes

The Top End, sunshine. The Top End. ;)

Im a big follower of the Storm and think the punishment of losing the points this season is fair, but taking away the premierships is too far - fans shouldnt suffer for what dickeads like Waldron and the rest of them have done. might as well take the premierships off the teams who beat us in the 2 GF's as well.
I'm of the opposite view they should be stripped of premierships because they cheated in the years they won it, but I doubt they have cheated it already this season as it's only started so should not be punished this year.

Though I love giving it to the rugby League boofheads on this site (there is certainly no shortage round here), I do feel for the Storm fans at this point in time. now it will feel like teasing the kid who just lost his family to freak accident.:( and not the arrogant twerp he was once seen as

How many did they win as a direct result of the cheating? None. Cant strip something they didnt win.

Not sure how people see it as unfair to be honest. It would need depend on who they were paying but if it means that the Storm have kept 2-3-4-5 players that they shouldnt have....not sure how people can complain.

How would I feel if premierships the clubs I support were taken away? Id be disgusted that my club went down that path to begin with.

Aside from ethics.

How exactly is that advantage any less than what the AFL awarded their expansion clubs (Brisbane and Sydney) with the excuse that it would cost more to retain players in non AFL states?

Gold Coast / Western Sydney, i would assume you already have your employees heading around to meet up with Inglis and Slater, you dont need Ablett or Selwood.

So who do I Send my premiership DVD's to for full refund as they didn't happen now?

Visual Entertainment Group, NRL or Melbourne Storm.

I want a refund!!!!:mad:

On the news right now, they have mentioned that these breaches will be referred to the police.

So it should. Two Canterbury officials spent time in prison, id say a few Melbourne officials will be doing similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cantebuty cheated 1.1 M over 2 years

Melbourne cheated 1.7 over 5

Cantebury got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom.

Melbourne got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom + not allowing them to accrue any future points (ruining every remaining match for fans, finances, pride, etc) + stripped them of 2 premierships and three minor premierships!!

Doesn't seem right!

Knew it wouldn't take long.

Did we exceed the salary cap? No.

I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you either (just quietly).

Systematic and blatant cheating. Stop blaming others.

Stripping flags hurts no one else bar the supporters and players. I am all for if they cheated throw the book at them, but fans who where unaware of it and have spent money on memberships, merchandise and other things just got hurt most.

Good leadership by the NRL leadership. It makes our AFL leadership look weak in comparison in their penalties to two certain clubs.

just as you hope the AFL have a look at your mate... i mean buddy.

Ive got a few points to make here
1. Any AFL trolls, piss off

2. I feel for the genuine Storm fans because this is the worst time for this to happen, and it is pretty harsh IMO to strip the two premierships. However

3. Melbourne Storm organisation and News Ltd. **** you guys. You've just set back rugby league in Melbourne years. Just dont ****ing cheat, other clubs have sacraficed a littany of players over the years in order stay under that cap, why cant you either? You deserve whats coming to you here, even if IMO the penalty is harsh. It is harsh because you have been doing it and getting away with it over a long period of time. You've screwed your fans your players and the game by greed. All this when you were about to move into a good stadium, in which you could finally start drawing decent crowds, when you were about to really take off in Melbourne. If you had not cheated you probably still would've gone well, you have a good coach etc. But you had to take it that step further. Now you've just shot your foot off. You owe your fans a massive debt.

4. My club was booted at the end of 99 because we didnt meet the so called 'criteria.' This was due to ballooning player payments (thanks for that News/super league), poor management and rain delaying the building of our ground, leaving us homeless and ending the year with losses of approx 6mil (which could've been turned around). At this point NRL decided the CC was not a country area and booted us, when we were moving for the long term future of the game. This is while clubs with dreadful financial histories such as Cronulla were kept in, despite being in a tiny area, because of News involvement.

10 years on and you guys have been losing 6 million a year and it now comes out you have been systematically defrauding the cap for a long period of time in order to buy success.

What kind of criteria does this fall under News? Business dealing, striving for the future? **** you News Ltd and **** You Melbourne Storm, you pack of pricks. You've cheapened 5 years of rugby league and near ruined the 2010 season, as our game is really on the crest of a wave of optimism and improvement. All the media whinging around the 08 grand final as well. The whinging after getting beaten in 06. And the whole time you are cheating the cap, now that is a claytons premiership. You've not just screwed your own fans, you've screwed many long term fans of the game.

****ing hell

The Carlton Football club has something in common with the Melbourne storm. One difference though, Carlton never looked like, nor will they win a premiership in the next 20 years.

Three questions from a non-Rugby person:

Have the NRL subjected any other club to the scrutiny with which it has pursued Storm in 2008 and this year?

Does Victoria have any representation on the NRL Administration?

Can somebody tell me and other Victorians who are the main sponsors of NRL?

Amazed at how ****ed up this is!

Punishment should be on the CEO and Staff, not the players and fans.

Sad day for sport in Australia.

Is there are reason for the players to stay with the Storm this season?

Hit the nail on the head.
Been brilliant following the boys since their inception and it is a terrible day for supporters.

Heads will roll

Knew it wouldn't take long.

Did we exceed the salary cap? No.

I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you either (just quietly).

Systematic and blatant cheating. Stop blaming others.

You sit there in your white tower fondly reminiscing your three premierships gained from a ridiculous advantage the AFL gave you, while sinking the boot into a club that arguably could have been awarded that same advantage, yet cheated just to match it, and you mention glass houses.

Yeah the Storm are dirty cheats but it certainly highlights the joke the AFL made of the competition from 01-06.

Cantebuty cheated 1.1 M over 2 years

Melbourne cheated 1.7 over 5

Cantebury got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom.

Melbourne got their current points taken off them (the year they were caught), taking a likely contender down the bottom + not allowing them to accrue any future points (ruining every remaining match for fans, finances, pride, etc) + stripped them of 2 premierships and three minor premierships!!

Doesn't seem right!

Now lets be clear the dogs got 37 points off(saying current points is misleading). Same effectively as what storm might have got.

also clubs were warned by what happened to the dogs. The fact that the storm then went on to replicate it means it needs to b this harsh a punishment in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back