Stringer time wasting in Essendon vs North game

Remove this Banner Ad

Would make far more sense if player has 30 sec shot clock then also must kick within 5 seconds of starting run up or similar.

Would make even more sense if you had to actually kick the ball before the shot clock runs down. If your run up takes 25 seconds you'd better scoot back and start it quick.

It's as if I have been locked in a room with 5 different versions of Steve Carrels Anchorman character.

You are mindbogglingly lame.

Interesting. It's also as if you have not been locked in a room at all, but are here voluntarily.

The game needs to be left alone. But if they change anything, back the umpires in & make 2 changes:

1) No 30sec countdown, just umpire judgement of what is reasonable time.

2) No 10m “protected zone”, again just umpire judgement that they aren’t impacting on play, especially if they are trying to get out of that space

If there’s a third, get rid of the below the legs bullshit rule & just condense it down to dangerous play if need be. This will mean the obvious slides will still be called

Its a fair point. What i was saying is that if a player just changed his runup (to a similar to brown runup) in the dying stages of the game, and had never done it before. The umps technically should call it intentional time wasting. And call play on.

Not saying that they necessarily would. Just saying that given the wording of the rule, thats how it should be adjudicated.

I get that. It’s. A grey area that should be tidied up.
Flips side of the coin is if Brown takes a mark with north 7 points down and a minute to go, his run up will all of the sudden miraculously be shortened.

They should just get rid of the bit about the clock stopping when the kicker begins his run in. Maybe make the shot clock longer to adjust but the second it hits 0 it’s play on regardless.

Reminds me of Eric Bana playing Chopper.
'Hello, Hello, ya got ya finger in your mouth there little one'
Omg I was saying the same thing. He really looks like chopper there. The baby scene when he goes to see his mate. "alloh alloh"

Hey, they were frightened and ran down the clock. It happens. Not a big deal.

Frightened? The scoreboard was incredibly flattering for you guys. I don't think you really threatened past that first quarter. You tried to play our game and lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never understood why you need 30 seconds to have a shot on goal and are allowed maybe 5 seconds everywhere else on the ground.
But even if you are allowed the 30 seconds it should not come off the clock, clock should be stopped and start again once the ball is kicked.
Again something so simple which the AFL can’t get right.

I have never understood why you need 30 seconds to have a shot on goal and are allowed maybe 5 seconds everywhere else on the ground.
But even if you are allowed the 30 seconds it should not come off the clock, clock should be stopped and start again once the ball is kicked.
Again something so simple which the AFL can’t get right.

Yep. Seems pretty simple that it should be time off.

Spent 25 seconds lining up for a shot on the goal line. Was just standing around, not walking backwards or anything like that.
Jake isnt smart enough to pretend he was doing up his laces or adjusting his socks. He stood there effectively giving the afl rules the big finger. This is why the afl will overreact.

If he was really smart he'd have gone back to the 50, then waited his 30secs and then wasted another 10 dawdling up to the top of the square as his run in.

I have no issue with it. The game was over anyway. AFL needs to stop bringing in stupid rules and then wringing their hands when clubs work them to their own advantage.

People questioning Stringer being intelligent need to watch him play, he does have good footy smarts. take yesterday when he took a mark, and without breaking stride he turned and picked out Walla, hitting him on the chest, he does the little things like hitting the right target or those two goals he shepherded through very well.

The game needs to be left alone. But if they change anything, back the umpires in & make 2 changes:

1) No 30sec countdown, just umpire judgement of what is reasonable time.

2) No 10m “protected zone”, again just umpire judgement that they aren’t impacting on play, especially if they are trying to get out of that space

If there’s a third, get rid of the below the legs bullshit rule & just condense it down to dangerous play if need be. This will mean the obvious slides will still be called

Agree with all of that. The sliding rule has become a bit of a joke.. as has deliberate OOB. Players legitimately going for the footy should not ever be called for below the leg contact.

anyone else member?

I member

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-north-melbourne-goes-70-20160508-gopedz.html

North Melbourne forward Mason Wood "did the maths" and iced the AFL's new shot clock to sew up his club's seventh consecutive win on Sunday.

With 22 seconds left in the game – and North one point clear of St Kilda – Wood watched the seconds tick on the countdown clock on the scoreboard.

"He just knew how long there was to go. The AFL put the shot clock up so he just did the maths until the game was over," said North Melbourne coach Brad Scott after the seven-point win.

"We've talked extensively about it, and we have trained late in game scenarios. I've got real confidence in our guys that they know what to do."

North supporters wouldn't want to get too upset about it, given their club trains around doing it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer time wasting in Essendon vs North game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back