Strong rumour - Bux to coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure about Buckley coming to North?

But from all accounts Laidley is just about a dead duck as far as continuing with North. Heard a whisper that there was speculation in the club that he was setting himself for the Freo job and has now got a bit panicked since they have made some slight improvement in recent times.

Also heard he is not very well liked by the senior players and some football department staff.

I think North might see this as an opportunity to pounce on a highly fancied young coach like Hardwick or Buckley.

it almost seems like magpie fans don't like to hear bux being linked with other clubs.

it almost seems like magpie fans don't like to hear bux being linked with other clubs.

WOW!!!

Of course we don't like it, he was our captain for 7 years and was one our greatest ever players. A lot of Collingwood supporters are keen for a change, and we would love to have one of our favorite sons to come back.
Also, how hard is it to write Bucks, Bux sounds/looks stupid.

Your right, I don't like it......

Mainly because, even simply due to the interest being shown in Bucks as a future coach by other clubs, it is an absolute no-brainer for Collingwood to instill him as coach from next season. To stick with Malthouse for another year is a waste of time, the group of young core players we have are on the cusp of really starting to perform and a fresh perspective from a coach such as Buckley would launch them onto another level.

It's plain to see Malthouse's way of playing this game is outdated, flawed and undersells the pure talent that is in this group. From listening to Nathan's comments thus far this year, I'd say he agrees with me.

Problem is Collingwood have always lacked the balls to make the hard decision and its cost us big in the past. If they don't get Nathan, it will cost them again.

The way I see it, they lose nothing by replacing Mick with Bucks. Bucks could coach this group to finals, just like Mick. Except we already know Malthouse won't win us a premiership doing it his way......

Enter Buckley.....

I dont get why everyone is so sure Buckley is going to be a great Coach?

Absolutely.
Great player does not mean automatic great coach.
Most of the last era of great coach's were hard working, no frills backmen.

Can't see it happening.
Buckley will want to go to a club with off field stability.
Buckley will give it off field stability.

Slightly off Topic - Pie fans who think Bucks cant go elsewhere need to get a grip. Its a business. They are not fans like us.

Sheedy
Matthews
Malthouse
Watson
Jesaulenko
Ayres
etc etc
All club legends who coached elsewhere.

Robert Harvey in his very next year will be plotting the Saints downfall this Fri night!!!

Funny how all the North supporters justify their position for Bucks at their club by giving us all this "Bucks can't work under Eddie" stuff. How the hell do they know that??:confused:

Bucks has been critical of Eddie about him talking about matters that he believes should be left to the football department.

I don't know if he would work with Eddie or would want to, but there is a definite clash of belief.

I don't think Collingwood will change coach this season and I think Bucks would like to coach so I don't really see Collingwood in the picture unless the wheels fall off between now and the end of the year.

I dont get why everyone is so sure Buckley is going to be a great Coach?

Nobody is sure, but of all the younger likely coaches he is doing media work and seems to be able to follow game trends and pick up on stuff and suggest things that sound like good ideas. He may end up a shit coach but he knows what is going on the park and that is probably the biggest weakness in terms of being a match day coach.

Laidley is terrible at seeing things unfold and changing the game during a quarter. If a side gets a run on against us it will be 8 goals and he will address it at quarter time or half time or three quarter time, by then the horse has usually bolted.

Buckley is not stupid or poorly connected

North have a pretty solid young list ... thats ONLY what he would be interested in.

One of the few "BF rumours":eek: ...that makes some sense to me

NO WAY WOULD HE TOUCH ....Richmond! ( not flaming Tigers fans:))

Buckley is not stupid or poorly connected

North have a pretty solid young list ... thats ONLY what he would be interested in.

One of the few "BF rumours":eek: ...that makes some sense to me

NO WAY WOULD HE TOUCH ....Richmond! ( not flaming Tigers fans:))

The only problem is we need a lot more work in the midfield. Tigers have potentially a very good midfield group, if Vickery comes a long as anticipated and they have a top class ruckmen they might not be so bad in the years to come if they can get the most out of Cotchin, Deledio, Tambling, Foley, Tuck, etc.

I still think we need another two top class midfielders but I think we are okay on the KPPs and have a lot of competent looking young kids coming through. Our younger kids seem to be carrying the side at present, which is a bit unusual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buckley will give it off field stability.

Slightly off Topic - Pie fans who think Bucks cant go elsewhere need to get a grip. Its a business. They are not fans like us.

Sheedy
Matthews
Malthouse
Watson
Jesaulenko
Ayres
etc etc
All club legends who coached elsewhere.

Robert Harvey in his very next year will be plotting the Saints downfall this Fri night!!!

You can add Blight & Kennedy to that list as well.

WOW!!!

Of course we don't like it, he was our captain for 7 years and was one our greatest ever players. A lot of Collingwood supporters are keen for a change, and we would love to have one of our favorite sons to come back.
Also, how hard is it to write Bucks, Bux sounds/looks stupid.

Bang on the money.

buckley would be a great coach and i think that next year he should be having a coaching job. Football is becoming more quicker and better and you are going to need new fresh ideas and people that have just played a couple years ago and know how the game is played then having the old people. Even though the old people like kevin sheedy and leigh matthews are very good i just believe that there is no room for people like them in todays football and that buckley would be a superb coach.

North is the only other club I can see Buckley at apart from Collingwood.

Seems a good fit for some reason.

Wouldn't Jack Ziebell love to have Buckley as a coach. :thumbsu:

Indeed. Some of those of us with long memories will recall that North actually had Buckley's signature in the 90s when he was leaving Brissy.

You can just see it now. Bucks standing in front of the gleaming new Arden Street, Boomer on one side, Ziebell on the other.

I always respected the North Melbourne Football Club as a player and now I'm thrilled to be coaching a list that mixes proven champs like Boomer and young guns like Jack. Its going to be an exciting journey and I know North Melbourne fans will want to join us on it.

Would have a Cousinsesque impact on memberships IMO, also, would be good for sponsors.

Just a word of warning to those in this thread who might have a crack at this poster or any others who come along with similar negative posts attacking the poster(s); not the topic.

On all pie boards there are a group of posters who appear as soon as their is anything negative to say re the club. They seek to turn threads into slanging matches and destroy discussion. They use a variety of names but the method is always the same.

In the case of big footy they will seek to get the thread they don't like moved to Bay 13.

Is it still true that there are people (person) paid by the club to monitor discussion and ensure the Collingwood forum tows the company line? Someone with a gold jacket for instance?

Is it still true that there are people (person) paid by the club to monitor discussion and ensure the Collingwood forum tows the company line? Someone with a gold jacket for instance?

That is an extention of the story but I highly doubt it is anything to do with the club. They are definately the same group that pop up.

Buckley will not have much to choose from if he wants a senior position, despite what the journos want to print there will not be many senior positions open. I would think if the Pies keep going like they are then it would be difficult to not keep Grumpy, the same with Port. Freo may be different but I would have thought if they can win 3 or 4 more games for the year with the kids they are playing then Harvey would be safe. Forget about Geelong changing so this probably only leaves North and Richmond looking for a senior coach. But who knows Buckley could do worse than accept an assistant position at a club like Geelong for a year or 2 and then return to the pies.

Collingwood are in an interesting position on this. They might want to grab Buckley so no-one else gets him, but there is no other reason they need to take a punt on an untried coach. And the more strong development the young Magpies show this season, the harder it will be to justify shifting Malthouse.

North on the other hand are not going forwards on field as well as Collingwood, or as they should be, notwithstanding injuries, so there's a better case for change - and with our less strong off-field position, fewer experienced coaching options are in our budget, and we've more reason to take a chance to bring the excitement factor into play.

Buckley has always spoken very highly publicly of North and of Laidley, so it sounds like it might be an appealing prospect as long as it's handled properly and Laidley isn't shafted. Doubt very much Laidley would be interested in staying in any role other than senior coach - and we couldn't afford both anyway -but they would make a very good team.

I did a post re this topic a few days ago .
Brad Hardie stated on 6pr about Buckley wanted by some officials at North Melbourne .

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong rumour - Bux to coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back