Strong rumour - Bux to coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sick of every good [or in some cases, unlike this one, average] player who retires, thinks he can become a successful coach. Vossy is an exception, no not based on the lions irresitable form, but his own playing style, he was a premiership captain [x3] and had the nousse needed in terms of patience and attitude. Every other guy coming out of the game can't simply replicate this, no way. Good luck Buckley.

You'd be hard pressed to find a person in the know that didn't believe Buckley could coach at the top level, regardless of what his own thoughts are on the matter.

Buckley aimed to do an apprenticeship role first, I think you'll find it is the clubs that will/are chasing harder than Buckley is searching, they seem to think he can become a successful coach and they are the ones who matter.

What makes him a good canidate? Why would he become successful? I think its obvious that Buckey has good leadership skills sure, but tactically-what makes the exception?

I'm sick of every good [or in some cases, unlike this one, average] player who retires, thinks he can become a successful coach. Vossy is an exception, no not based on the lions irresitable form, but his own playing style, he was a premiership captain [x3] and had the nousse needed in terms of patience and attitude. Every other guy coming out of the game can't simply replicate this, no way. Good luck Buckley.

That's true. There aren't that many players out there who were exceptional as both a player and coach. The footy Gods tend to balance it out. Maybe Bucks will be one of the exceptions. He would certainly bring 5k more members to that club.

So for a team to succeed, they need to average 450+ possessions a game. I'm sure Buckley is no genius when it comes to coaching, but then again-surely he could be at least taken into the VFL for practice.

What makes him a good canidate? Why would he become successful? I think its obvious that Buckey has good leadership skills sure, but tactically-what makes the exception?

Like I said, the people in the know deem him more than fit to coach, he has glowing endorsements from the best in the business to support an already flourishing resume (which is all we can judge off obviously as outside observers, which makes your questions a bit meaningless).

You say Voss is the exception because his team won premierships and he supposedly has patience and the right attitude. It would be just as easy to dish up a bunch of achievements, nouns and describing words to justify why Buckley would suit the job as well, people (football fans, not those actually involved in the clubs) tend to make their assumptions about his ability to coach off his history and how they have seen him carry himself.
It is up to the panels selecting coaches to determine whether he is fit, everything else on here is just certain people's opinions of him, you clearly don't think he is up to it but you would also clearly be in the minority.
With that in mind it is probably more relevant why you think he won't make a good candidate and why would he not become successful?

So for a team to succeed, they need to average 450+ possessions a game. I'm sure Buckley is no genius when it comes to coaching, but then again-surely he could be at least taken into the VFL for practice.

Pagan couldn't make a team suceed 5 years ago, why would he be able to now?
There is a reason he got the arse.

Why coach at VFL level (note that he is currently coaching different teams) when there are clearly AFL teams interested in employing you?

Ratten can't succeed with the Carlton he has now.
IMO, Buckley is just another ledgend out of the game, caoching too soon, and only doing so because he doesn't want to leave the game.

Ratten can't succeed with the Carlton he has now.
IMO, Buckley is just another ledgend out of the game, caoching too soon, and only doing so because he doesn't want to leave the game.

What are you talking about Ratten for?

And I'm gonna bank on the opinions of Matthews, Malthouse and the selection committee of the club that will ultimately choose him (he will coach at the top level next year) as being more knowledgeable than that of your own.

Yeah okay, for the fifth time you guys have been takling about how people reccomend him, I get it. And if you had read the posts before mentioning Pagan, you'd know why I mentioned Ratten okay?

Now, what makes Buckley a good canidate? Seriously? All AFL achievements aside.

Naa not going to happen, North cannot pay him simple as that... Even Laids is taking a walk in saying "a lot of love but not a lot of money"...

I think that says it all really.

Shocking crowds, diminishing members, aging list, rebuild phase, no superstars.... its not a solid option.

And north fans talking up the list.. LOL young list my ass, any smart man would realize trying to rebuild a list now is a nightmare scenario with 2 new teams coming into the comp.

Eddie will take his medicine and do the right thing by Collingwood at the end of year, if not then he is putting his position and all the good he has done under major threat.

Its not all bad for north fans though, they will get Hardwick who is the best available coach and a perfect fit..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North might attract the best coach,but they wont get the highest profile coach, simply because they can't afford the $$$'s.

I take no pride in saying that...I'd much rather people came to Richmond purely because we're a great club, but the reality is that (off field) we're stable and successful and as a result, we can afford to offer more.

Thats right telsor, North are struggling atm, and Laides obviously is struggling to. As for Norths list, it has some talent, but nothing special that cuold be immiediately rebuilt.

What would really make things interesting is if Hird threw his hat into the ring. Very intelligent guy, amazing footy brain, successful business man. I reckon he'd make a great coach, probably better than Buckley and Voss.

Hird is soft, not able to make hard calls or deal with the mental tormet of coaching. There is a reason he is not spoken of as a potential coach.

Please note this is not a comment on his playing, just his potential to coach.

Quote in today's AGE:

"North president James Brayshaw said yesterday money would not be an issue when it comes to hiring Laidley's replacement."

Must make Laidley feel great after being told they had no money to pay top dollar. Also after bludging off the AFL and saying they are broke the AFL must be all over this. Looks like another few years with a stunted list. Reeks of dodge.

Yeah okay, for the fifth time you guys have been takling about how people reccomend him, I get it. And if you had read the posts before mentioning Pagan, you'd know why I mentioned Ratten okay?

Now, what makes Buckley a good canidate? Seriously? All AFL achievements aside.

What made Leigh Matthews, Bomber Thompson or Alastair Clarkson good candidates?
You are asking ridiculous questions that clearly only people who have directly dealt with Buckley are going to know, surely you realise how stupid that line of questioning is?

Things like his knowledge of the game, his outstanding work ethic, his determination, his leadership skills, the hard line approach he seems to enforce and now his work as a coach currently. I'm sure they are all things people seem to believe contribute to him being a good candidate.

I don't think honestly Nathan Buckley would be motivated by 'money' or 'financial' gain whichever club he chooses to coach (which I think now is almost certainly not going to be collingwood) but he would like to be able to have the resources and funding available to get the best assistants and support team out there ...

Richmond have those resources, and would be crazy not to make a big pitch for him IMHO.

But just remember as well with North Melbourne and their lack of money, I bet 10 years ago, people would have said that the Bulldogs would have never been able to afford to hire a coach like Rodney Eade, so never say never IMHO.

Why Melbourne persits with such a cut-price bargain basement no name coach in Dean Bailey has me flummoxed however.

Quote in today's AGE:

"North president James Brayshaw said yesterday money would not be an issue when it comes to hiring Laidley's replacement."

Must make Laidley feel great after being told they had no money to pay top dollar. Also after bludging off the AFL and saying they are broke the AFL must be all over this. Looks like another few years with a stunted list. Reeks of dodge.

Ed youve got no idea......Laidley was paid what he was worth...

and Im sure the AFL will be all over this......where did all the cash come from....ridiculous comment

Naa not going to happen, North cannot pay him simple as that... Even Laids is taking a walk in saying "a lot of love but not a lot of money"...

I think that says it all really.

Shocking crowds, diminishing members, aging list, rebuild phase, no superstars.... its not a solid option.

And north fans talking up the list.. LOL young list my ass, any smart man would realize trying to rebuild a list now is a nightmare scenario with 2 new teams coming into the comp.

Eddie will take his medicine and do the right thing by Collingwood at the end of year, if not then he is putting his position and all the good he has done under major threat.

Its not all bad for north fans though, they will get Hardwick who is the best available coach and a perfect fit..

Always amusing when opposition supporters comment on Norths financial position and list......its funny because at some point Eddies smile is going to be wiped off his face....wiped off when the most expensive coach in the league fails to deliver a flag.....but he could be beaten to the punch by Malthouse who bails when he realises that all this collingwood side does is tread water.......but you know what...they have the Lexus centre.......what a great legacy Eddie.....you should be proud of yourself!!

And by all accounts thanks to the GFC the Lexus centre will be no more in 2010 - big hole in the bottom line there especially with the money sucking hotel sales still yet to be finalised - 5 odd mill last was the cost yes?

Hmmm Skoda centre anyone - lol!!!

The redeveloped Arden St facilities will be as good if not better than the soon to be nameless Lexus centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Strong rumour - Bux to coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back