Strongest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant stand the bloke but Brendan Fevola is a very strong bloke. For current players I cant think of anyone who I would guess being stronger.

Of all time, Jason Dunstall was a moster and so was Mick Martyn. Later on Glenn Jakovich and Wayne Carey were also hulks.

Pound for pound Jeff Farmer was surprisingly strong in his time for a smaller player.

A lot of people on here thinking size = strength lol.

Out of the middfielders I reckon Chappy, Hayes, Ablett and Swan are the strongest overall...good luck taking one of them guys to ground....although Hayes got Swan to the deck in the GF :eek: never actually seen that done before.

Maxfield from Sydney used to be a huge unit, even got ordered from the club to shed kilos one year.

Swan got his own back with his chase down, tackle and CRUNCH on Hayes as well so I guess it was 1-1 ;)

All-time was "Lethal" Leigh Matthews. Such a small man - yet, he'd go through you every time.
I'd have to agree with that call in the small man stakes although I do still have one fond memory of Stan Magro almost putting his lights out at Vic Park. Stan wasn't any slouch either for a small man.

Swan got his own back with his chase down, tackle and CRUNCH on Hayes as well so I guess it was 1-1 ;)

For god sake you won the premiership. You don't have to start a contest for every perceived minor critisism of any Collingwood player.

FWIW the poster wasn't critisising Swan, in fact he pointed out that its very hard to tackle him to the ground. Whether he went on to crunch the player who did it is irrelevent.

Hunt will be far and away the strongest current AFL player. Unless you count Issy.

NRL boys have far stronger cores than AFL players. Due to the heavy tackling nature of the sport.

Both boys will trim down to be able to run more, but they wont lose their strength.

Hunt will be far and away the strongest current AFL player. Unless you count Issy.

NRL boys have far stronger cores than AFL players. Due to the heavy tackling nature of the sport.

Both boys will trim down to be able to run more, but they wont lose their strength.

If that is the basis of your argument, Pyke should be the clear winner. He too trained for many years for a code with more emphasis on tackling. He is also bigger than Hunt. Certainly the Swans' fitness coach a year ago commented that Pyke was by far the strongest player at our club, mostly because he had spent many years doing strength specific training.

Easily Dane Swan, pound for pound.

Was an instant where him & Fisher were competing for an overhead mark in the replay, Swan plucked it out of his hands.

1/1 he is unstoppable.

Easily Dane Swan, pound for pound.

Was an instant where him & Fisher were competing for an overhead mark in the replay, Swan plucked it out of his hands.

1/1 he is unstoppable.

Gee I didn't know you could decide the strongest player in the AFL based on the results of a single marking contest.
Go figure. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Minson held the bench press record at the Bulldogs until Hall came along and smashed it. Years ago Scott West was the strongest at the dogs and he was competing against Grant, Wynd etc...

All time I would say Ablett senior had the most core strength through the hips that I have seen. He always looked like he could clean anyone up, just a ball of muscle.

Dunstall was sposed to be right up there from memory.
plugger lloyd Rocca lynch tredrea all strong forwards, for a backman - mick martin? all strong, probably plugga for mine... not old enough to have been impacted by pre 90's players..

six that stand out to me as a collingwood supporter.
Fevola
Brown
Hall
Cloke
Dawes ( will become a monster)
N Brown

If that is the basis of your argument, Pyke should be the clear winner. He too trained for many years for a code with more emphasis on tackling. He is also bigger than Hunt. Certainly the Swans' fitness coach a year ago commented that Pyke was by far the strongest player at our club, mostly because he had spent many years doing strength specific training.

If that is the case, he would be a contender. One of 17/18. Probably near the top.

I didnt think of Pyke, and yeah I would put him up there. The Rugby boys would cetainly be the stronger ones because of the power training they do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strongest player in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back