Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interested to see the reaction of people who bagged the documentary after part 1. Its like reading a book half way through and making a judgement on it before reading the second half. Stupid people.

Was a fantastic documentary showing the rise/fall of ben cousins and then the recovery from his massive fall. Still isnt out of it and will have to keep working at it.

You can see how long it took to realise the damage he was doing to family/friends and that his dad was the main person to help him through it. Such a strong character his old man.

My hatred for Caroline Wilson has grown even more... kind of ironic she talks about his smugness when she talks down with her ugly smug look about Ben and his problem... clearly not even spending time to get opinions on the situation from people who actually know about it.

Also Ben is very lucky to have the old man he does.

Yeah his father is an absolute legend for going through all that and hanging in there for his son and his family were fantastic support.

Ben is still an arrogant tosser. He thought that playing AFL was his God given right and how dare they impose strict testing on a liar and a drug addict.

I hope Cousins doesn't get any money out of this or for the DVD sales.

Sam Newman just owned Cousins.:thumbsu:

What did he say for those of us who can't be ****ed sitting through the 97% of boring shit on that show just to catch the good bits?

I think the editing was really bad, I'd have cut out most of the interviews with Wilson, Sheehan, Malthouse, Smith and would have given a lot more time to the past two years. It was supposed to be a story of his recovery but as others have said here it was just glanced over. Looks like it was lazily finished.

Hear we go. Sewer rat Hutchy giving his take on it. Imagine if he and Caro had kids.

Episode 2 was much better than the first, gave much more detail on the damage it did to his family. Shouldn't just it after the 1st episode is what they're doing on the Footy Show.

the one thing that nobody has pointed out is how much cousins has put himself above the game compared to other "gun" players of the competition

when shane crawford won a premiership in 2008 i pointed out the difference between ben cousins and crawford is they are both the same type of player, its just that shane crawford is a nicer person :p

the afl had plenty of "Rockstars" before cousins, such as capper etc, however Cousins did go that one step further: he actually threatened to ruin everything the code stood for by being an arrogant piece of shit in his prime.

However in the end, i am glad richmond gave him a chance to play again, the element of humility and inevitability did come to him - in the end! Goes to show to you that no one player is ever above the game

Yeah his father is an absolute legend for going through all that and hanging in there for his son and his family were fantastic support.

Ben is still an arrogant tosser. He thought that playing AFL was his God given right and how dare they impose strict testing on a liar and a drug addict.

I hope Cousins doesn't get any money out of this or for the DVD sales.

Arrogant tosser eh? Might describe the author of that post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe a large percentage of the sales should be donated to a charity? Something related to education and rehab of young people affected by drugs. Just an idea.

Why shouldnt he make money out of it? It is his story. Does David Schwartz make money from his book sales about his gambling addiction? There is no difference.

Sam Newman just owned Cousins.:thumbsu:
You're kidding. Was basing everything he said on half of the doco and even though he said as much he still said everything like it didn't matter what aired in the 2nd half.

I've just decided Sam Newman is a complete ****wit. How can he ruthlessly bag it like that despite not having seen the 2nd half?
:thumbsu:

Why shouldnt he make money out of it? It is his story. Does David Schwartz make money from his book sales about his gambling addiction? There is no difference.

There is, gambling isn't illegal.

So the documentary is just a money grabbing exercise for Cousins?

Was it just me, or did it look as though the introduction to part two was filmed today?

For starters, the blue curtains he was standing in front of looked odd, like they were added in digitally and what he was saying seemed almost a direct response to a lot of the criticism part one received.

Just a thought, but I could be wrong.

Sam is right to a point. He dragged his Dad out to get drugs, but could stop every Thursday? No mention of how he never tested positive? All a bit suss.

Sam made vaild points about Ben's "addiction" & Ben "masking" drug tests.

If anyone knows Sam well, he pulled Fred Cook up from near/certain death. He's qualified in this regard.

So because he pulled someone up from near/certain death, he is now qualified in the area of addiction? :rolleyes:
He doesn't know Cousins situation any better than any other pleb outside of what we have read in the media, he isn't qualified to do shit.

And how are his valid points about the masking agent grounds for him "owning" Cousins? Cousins elected not to discuss it in his documentary, so be it. I imagine the AFL played it's part there anyway.

He was criticising Seven for the sake of criticising Seven. If that documentary had been picked up by Nine he would have been sitting there stroking his dick about how awesome it was and how great Nine are to pull such an exclusive.

Was it just me, or did it look as though the introduction to part two was filmed today?

For starters, the blue curtains he was standing in front of looked odd, like they were added in digitally and what he was saying seemed almost a direct response to a lot of the criticism part one received.

Hahaha, that's what i said at the start. He said something about being really sorry for his actions; which is exactly what he was critisied for not doing in yesterdays ep today.

The blue curtains were definently computerised.

Just think it's coincidence though.... :p

There is, gambling isn't illegal.

So the documentary is just a money grabbing exercise for Cousins?
Oh cmon, clearly not. Might be profitable in the short term but he doesn't come off in the best light which may hurt his long term prospects. If it was a money grab it'd be a straightforward PR exercise, which it wasn't. That said it was pretty far from "no holds barred" to be fair.

I certainly thought it was an off the cuff addition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Such is Life: The Ben Cousins Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back