ROYAL EAGLE

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
If Simpson gets sacked soon who do we think next coach will be ?

For me in order of preference:

Ashley Hansen - seems to have good reputation for tactics and strategy

Dean Cox - senior Sydney assistant experienced assistant

Don Pyke - would make a great next CEO as well as a new coach ( i think he would be really good as our next CEO than coach)

Jaymie Graham - Freo's senior assistant Longmuire says he is ready

Don Pyke - would make a great next CEO as well as a new coach ( i think he would be really good as our next CEO than coach)

Does Don Pyke have any experience in business? Or has he been a coach since retiring?

Does Don Pyke have any experience in business? Or has he been a coach since retiring?
Pyke was a very successful businessman before coaching. I think he had an engineering business which he sold - He wouldnt be desperate for a quid at this stage of his life, just enjoys the coaching side. Would be a great CEO and equally as good a senior coach i reckon. His time at Adelaide wasnt a true reflection of his coaching ability, although getting them to a GF was pretty impressive. He was just hamstrung by having to put up with a lot of incompetent people like Burton and the boys club there. He and Cox might be a good coaching team. Jarrad Schofield always seemed like a senior coach in waiting but the whole WC coaching group has probably been tarnished by the last few years effort and we probably need a good clean out and start again...

All ex-Eagles I noticed.

I know there was vehement opposition when a 300 game Kangaroo was appointed a decade ago, yet when he quits/is sacked Simpson will only end up behind Malthouse - another non-West Australian - as the most successful West Coast coach.

I have no particular opinion other than I hope we consider all options and not just limit ourselves to favourite sons. If someone like Dean Cox is hired because of his outstanding credentials, fine - but not because he is an Eagles hall of famer.

We really really didn't want to lose Ash Hansen so it seems he's highly regarded in club land

Senior coaching committee of Daniel Chick, Daniel Kerr, Adam Hunter, Chad Fletcher, Ben Cousins

All ex-Eagles I noticed.

I know there was vehement opposition when a 300 game Kangaroo was appointed a decade ago, yet when he quits/is sacked Simpson will only end up behind Malthouse - another non-West Australian - as the most successful West Coast coach.

I have no particular opinion other than I hope we consider all options and not just limit ourselves to favourite sons. If someone like Dean Cox is hired because of his outstanding credentials, fine - but not because he is an Eagles hall of famer.
I'd even go as far as saying Eagles need to look at someone from over east, and ignore the Perth bubble.

A new coach with some experienced assistants (like Don Pyke, Dean Cox) would be ideal

I'd even go as far as saying Eagles need to look at someone from over east, and ignore the Perth bubble.

Worked last time, lot of pressure to hire Peter Sumich when John Worsfold departed but we went with the relatively obscure (to WA) Adam Simpson. I am sure I can dig up the hundreds of posts from Eagles fans on BigFooty trashing the appointment before he even set foot in Perth.

I hope the process is thorough and we ignore the 'Perth bubble' indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if those are the options, Pyke is the standout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Suggestions for WCE new coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back