New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

Any reason for Shannon Neale's and Josh Treacy's exclusion?

They aren't far off turning 22 but then you are comparing 18, 19 and 20 year olds anyway. Neale and Treacy fit the 21 and under bill for season 2024.
Any reason why you left Van Rooyen out? He averages 1.5 goals per game. Which puts him as the 2nd most goals and has the 4th highest contested marks.
1721179217110.png
Nate Caddy still clear #1 even with their inclusions.

If it's on current form it's Treacy, the kid does everything: contested bull, great on the ground, marks between the arcs, elite field kick, more than handy in the ruck, and the most accurate kick on goal in the league.

Long-term potential (probably short-term tbh)? Hard to go past Darcy, he's already frightening, but get a couple more pre-seasons in him and watch out. Doesn't have that softness that seems to plague a lot of 200+ forwards.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest disappointment among young key forwards is Aaron Cadman.

Give him a chance. I mean the only reason he gets regular AFL games is because he’s pick 1 not pick 51, but there are moments where you see what he has. Yet to put it into 4 quarters but I suspect come 2026/2027 he will be primed

I feel like trying to work out which young key forward (21 and under) is going to be the next big thing is kind of like trying to pick the next Google, Apple, Microsoft of Nvidia in the stock market.

Its too early to really judge. Some you can be pretty sure will be good but that's about all.

After having a fwd line that resembled the Sahara for so long it's so nice to have 2 genuinely talented young key forwards who could both legitimately be top 5 in the league one day

Top 5 or not at least it looks like you won't have to stress about key forwards for a while now.

Would I be right in saying you could do with a quality small?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the game he played last night Dear is only going to get better. He will be the best forward in the game in 5 years time.
19 years old and doesn’t even know what he’s capable of yet.

Add 8-10kg to that frame and he’s going to be special in a couple of years.

19 years old and doesn’t even know what he’s capable of yet.

Add 8-10kg to that frame and he’s going to be special in a couple of years.

Really hoping he gets a contract extension early next year. Deserves at least another 3. As you say, once he adds that extra muscle to his frame and a couple more pre seasons, he is going to be hard to stop.

Cadman tracking well. Plays his role to help allow Hogan to be the best kpf by some margin.
Draws defenders away. When it has been his turn has used his leap well. Once he puts on about 5kgs he will be solid for us.

Really hoping he gets a contract extension early next year. Deserves at least another 3. As you say, once he adds that extra muscle to his frame and a couple more pre seasons, he is going to be hard to stop.
No way the Hawks are offering Dear less than 6-7 years in this climate. He's put together an excellent patch (now including a final), great contested mark and set shot, gets up the field well, not as much mongrel/physicality as Treacy but also 2/3 years younger so see him getting there. Gun KPFs don't grow on trees (even highly touted ones have shown less at 23/24), and don't appear at such a young age often; he'll get the extension. Going to be fun to watch (as long as the commentators don't ruin it for everyone).

The biggest disappointment among young key forwards is Aaron Cadman.

4+ tackles in 4 of his last 5 games

3 goals today. Multiples in 3 of his last 5.

He’s still 3 years away from being his best self but all the bits are there
Give him a chance. I mean the only reason he gets regular AFL games is because he’s pick 1 not pick 51, but there are moments where you see what he has. Yet to put it into 4 quarters but I suspect come 2026/2027 he will be primed

Feels like there are quite a few very good ones floating around at the moment.
Dear is going to be something special given his lack of exposure to footy and his current output.
Cadman is a lot better than people are giving him credit for.
Freo have two very big boys

Feels like there are quite a few very good ones floating around at the moment.
Dear is going to be something special given his lack of exposure to footy and his current output.
Cadman is a lot better than people are giving him credit for.
Freo have two very big boys
Yea the usual convention of kpfs having to take 3/4/5 years before impacting consistently in the league seems to be shifting.

Dear, amiss, Treacy , Darcy and now cadman all proving to be vital cogs in their teams make ups already and none over 22

I think Nate Caddy’s another one to keep an eye on too

Remove this Banner Ad

New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back