New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

Alot of speculation only ITT. 1.5 goals a games or so for these young forwards so we are really trying to gauge if they can take the next step.

Reminds me how lucky the Hawks were when Buddy and Roughead kicked 113 goals and 75 goals as 21yo in 2008.
Curnow year 3
34 from 20 games

Hipwood year 3
37 from 22

Curnow PB season
81 from 26

Hipwood PB season
41 from 26

You have to be speculative when the kids are this young, Cadman just has that look to him that he could be a real star

Buddy and Rough were exceptional kids though, but don’t think we’ll see heaps of year 1-3 forwards kick 50+ in the modern era

No there haven’t

Yes there has, the game against you guys two weekends ago is one time actually.

After being dlopped for round 15 and 16 for his 19 year old team mate Max Gruzewski, who got subbed out on two possessions in round 16, Cadman made his way back in to the line up to play against you guys. Obviously being a number 1 draft pick key forward who gets dropped esrly in his career isn't normally a big deal, but to get dropped for a younger player probably is.

Then at the very end of his 8 possession 0 goal game against Carlton, in the last 90 seconds with gws just holding on, he goes to kick it in to the middle and has a howler, and just after that he gets caught holding the ball, both in the last 90 seconds of a game they were trying to hold on to.

The thing is it's actually unfair that Cadman cops the number 1 draft pick stigma, because I'm sure GWS only drafted him that high because he gave them more assurances about his commitment to GWS than the other higher rated guys.

However this thread rating him as highly as they do is wild to me, I'm sure they haven't watched much.

After being dlopped for round 15 and 16 for his 19 year old team mate Max Gruzewski, who got subbed out on two possessions in round 16, Cadman made his way back in to the line up to play against you guys. Obviously being a number 1 draft pick key forward who gets dropped esrly in his career isn't normally a big deal, but to get dropped for a younger player probably is.

Then at the very end of his 8 possession 0 goal game against Carlton, in the last 90 seconds with gws just holding on, he goes to kick it in to the middle and has a howler, and just after that he gets caught holding the ball, both in the last 90 seconds of a game they were trying to hold on to.

The thing is it's actually unfair that Cadman cops the number 1 draft pick stigma, because I'm sure GWS only drafted him that high because he gave them more assurances about his commitment to GWS than the other higher rated guys.

However this thread rating him as highly as they do is wild to me, I'm sure they haven't watched much.
Mate …. He’d played every game and needed a freshen up … Gru was drafted the same year and was next in line for a game. Cadman is coming along nicely …. He didn’t play forward until his final year as a junior so needs time and more meat on his bones, but he has tremendous upside

Darcy has the most potential but don’t think he’ll end up as a pure forward, could be one of the best ruck/forwards of all time if he reaches his potential.

Cadman looks very clean, not sure if he’ll ever be a true number one key forward but will be a great player for a long time. Van Rooyen isn’t the most skilled but has the aggression and effort to impose himself. Amiss and Treacy should be a very good combo for a long time at Freo, think Amiss will be the better of them, just needs to put on some size to take the next step. Walter I’m not entirely convinced on yet, he’s the most developed physically but don’t think he has any attributes that set him apart from the rest so far, too early to tell.

Neale, Dear and Morris look promising from a small sample size.
van Rooyen was rate elite for accuracy for kick for goal in 2023 (70%) and is going at 65% this year. His general efficiency is over 70%

He is very skilful for a big man, interested to know what you’re basing that on?

I know a guy who knows him and his brother very well so I watch him often

He’s a jet, you can just see how he moves that he’ll be a talent

I would assert you haven’t watched him or other young developing talls enough

How good was Charlie Curnow or Harry McKay in year two? If he matches either of their careers to date (I.e. a Coleman medalist) he has absolutely knocked it out of the park for any player.

I think he looks much better than both those guys did at the same point, not that it matters - because key forwards take a long time to develop.

At least this will take the heat off Collingwood and Geelong.
Be careful though, or the Vicbias brigade will come looking.
We don't even have any father sons in our current best 23.
Won't even have any on our list after Hawkins and Bews retire at the end of the year.

We don't even have any father sons in our current best 23.
Won't even have any on our list after Hawkins and Bews retire at the end of the year.
That doesn't matter, it is like a meteor.
It has happened before, it will happen again.

Apparently even though Sydney have been up there for 40 years, F/S is still an unfair system to them.

I know a guy who knows him and his brother very well so I watch him often

He’s a jet, you can just see how he moves that he’ll be a talent

I would assert you haven’t watched him or other young developing talls enough

How good was Charlie Curnow or Harry McKay in year two? If he matches either of their careers to date (I.e. a Coleman medalist) he has absolutely knocked it out of the park for any player.

I think he looks much better than both those guys did at the same point, not that it matters - because key forwards take a long time to develop.
I have watched plenty of footy mate.

I don't know why you are using those guys as a reference point when there are plenty of talls who sre doing more at the same stage as Cadman. I guess those guys are all gonna be better than Curnow lol.

Key forwards take a long time to develop sure and also develop at different rates. However I see very little reason to assume Cadman is going to take off at a faster rate than a lot of the other young key forwards going around atm.

What would you be basing having Cadman ahead of someone like Amiss on? What part of his game exactly?

I have watched plenty of footy mate.

I don't know why you are using those guys as a reference point when there are plenty of talls who sre doing more at the same stage as Cadman. I guess those guys are all gonna be better than Curnow lol.

Key forwards take a long time to develop sure and also develop at different rates. However I see very little reason to assume Cadman is going to take off at a faster rate than a lot of the other young key forwards going around atm.

What would you be basing having Cadman ahead of someone like Amiss on? What part of his game exactly?
Okay you’ve missed the point again, the big boys and I will talk shop - you can throw your toys around in the corner all you want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It goes beyond simple scoring metrics to measure current output and the whole potential thing is more based around the eye test, but here goes anyway, in order of scoring impact:

For 2024:

2.12 goals, 0.59 goal assists (2.71 combined) and 5.8 score involvements p.g for Treacy.

1.75 goals, 0.38 goal assists (2.13 combined) and 4.4 score involvements per game for Neale.

1.50 goals, 0.50 goal assists (2.00 combined) and 4.8 score involvements p.g for Amiss.

1.71 goals, 0.21 goal assists (1.92 combined) and 5.2 score involvements p.g for Darcy.

1.53 goals, 0.33 goal assists (1.86 combined) and 4.6 score involvements p.g for Van Rooyen.

1.20 goals, 0.13 goal assists (1.33 combined) and 3.3 score involvements p.g for Cadman.

0.91 goals, 0.18 goal assists (1.09 combined) and 3.2 score involvements p.g for Caminiti.

0.83 goals, 0.00 goal assists (0.83 combined) and 2.4 score involvements p.g for J.Wiliams.

Dear and Walter are a little too young for comparisons to be valid.

Treacy does have 36 AFL games experience in prior seasons and is about to turn 22 - but is still obviously breaking out nicely. Caminiti, Darcy and Cadman are on the younger/less experienced side of things.

I'm surprised at how well Shannon Neale's scoring numbers hold up this season, with only 5 AFL games experience before that. He is about to turn 22 though with a longer VFL apprenticeship (some injuries there didn't help).

Darcy and Van Rooyen have serious star potential in my eyes and their numbers will likely spike significantly next year.

At least this will take the heat off Collingwood and Geelong.
Be careful though, or the Vicbias brigade will come looking.
Well get ready for the footy community to go nuts in a few years time because his brothers, its been mentioned to me are tracking better at the same ages

Remove this Banner Ad

New Best Young Key Forwards (21 and under)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back