Sunday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

So why Thursday? Also a crap day for it.
Because it is close to the weekend and people are more up for it. Yeah it isn't as good as Friday but it is a hell of a lot better than a late night on Monday where you have a whole week to go before you can sleep in.

Sunday and Monday night games rated great on TV and were better than Friday night on equivalent match ups. But failed miserably with the fans attending. And in the end you have to take that into consideration when the drop off in attendance was so bad.

I think it's a good idea, if it's scheduled correctly. There is too much crossover with the three Sunday games currently, which obviously affects viewing audience numbers. The way the AFL scheduled the Sunday games in round 24 should be how they schedule all rounds.

Sunday:
Game 1
- 12:45pm
Game 2 - 3:20pm
Game 3 - 6:10pm (7:40pm when it is the day before a public holiday)

This format ensures there are no crossover games, and also ensures the late game is over by about 8:45pm. I would schedule Perth based game for much of (not all) of the third timeslot, and also Queensland games because twilight is a very popular slot in Queensland.

Avoid MCG games in winter in the 6:10pm timeslot (with the exception of the day before a public holidy), but utilize Marvel when playing games in Victoria in that timeslot.

Thursday and Monday night footy are both good for tv viewers and terrible for attending spectators.
The difference (and only reason) we get Thursday night is because the media want a round all wrapped up by Sunday 730pm est, so all their content(radio,tv, everything) can begin on a Monday morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No campaigner ever got home from work on a Monday and said **** I'd love to go to the football tonight.

I don’t think it’s ever really worked outside of the US. They’ve tried it in England as well and it generally falls flat too.

They started it in the US for pretty simple reasons - the Friday night high school / Saturday college / Sunday professional was an established schedule so they had nowhere else to go. Monday night was it. It’s the only reason it was done in the US, and it hasn’t worked anywhere else.

Football is a TV product. Fans who go to the game are secondary. The AFL and their broadcast partners would prefer no fans show up. No fans booing would make it easier for the narrative to be controlled.

They’re doing a ****ing terrible job achieving that then

Year / Total attendance / Average

2024 / 8.3m / 38k
2014 / 7.0m / 34k
2004 / 6.4m / 34k
1994 / 5.2m / 30k

As others have said, it depends on the start time. I doubt starting games at 7:40pm like on Friday nights would work on Sunday nights. If Sunday night footy is going to return, 6:20pm should be the latest the game should start to ensure a finish at about 9pm.

Love Thursday night footy hope we schedule this every round (Makes it feel like the weekends come early).
Love Friday night Footy.
Like Saturday afternoon games.
Love Saturday night Footy.
Like Sunday early games
Tolerate Sunday Twilight.
Dislike Sunday Night.
Hate Monday Night.
This is all from a television viewing point of view.
Attending live games give me Saturday nights.
This comes from a Tasmanian who doesn’t attend many games and watches every game via Tv.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back