Sunraysia Football league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have our pre season bbq at the pies, tomorrow night, should be good to get some confirmation on some rumours. I will stay tight lipped ATM but could have some news of 3 decent recruits over the chrissy period. Fingers crossed....

If these recruits are anywhere near as good as 'Crackers' Keenan or Wazza Stephens then Merbein have a lot to look forward to in season 07 ... :thumbsu:

No Congress and no Cavallo's, the future looks bright for Merbein ... :thumbsu:

Congress is a pretty good player. Plays FF in an average side. He wouldn't have the greatest supply from their midfield. From all reports he played against Mildura with a broken cheekbone until he copped a whack in the face and had to go off the ground.

Rather interesting that they had a family day at Kenny Park last year to promote themselves as the family club and a few of their good juniors want out ...

If these recruits are anywhere near as good as 'Crackers' Keenan or Wazza Stephens then Merbein have a lot to look forward to in season 07 ... :thumbsu:

No Congress and no Cavallo's, the future looks bright for Merbein ... :thumbsu:

Congress is a pretty good player. Plays FF in an average side. He wouldn't have the greatest supply from their midfield. From all reports he played against Mildura with a broken cheekbone until he copped a whack in the face and had to go off the ground.

Rather interesting that they had a family day at Kenny Park last year to promote themselves as the family club and a few of their good juniors want out ...
You have a fair bit to say Santoz about the pies, but we may just pause for one minute and see what your club has won over recent years........hmmmm sweet f*** all. They maybe struggling now and may for years to come but at least they have something to hang there hat on in recent years. Wasn't all that long ago that your club was at amatuer status. Tide turns quickly....

You have a fair bit to say Santoz about the pies, but we may just pause for one minute and see what your club has won over recent years........hmmmm sweet f*** all. They maybe struggling now and may for years to come but at least they have something to hang there hat on in recent years. Wasn't all that long ago that your club was at amatuer status. Tide turns quickly....

With the way things are looking at Merbein at the moment, maybe you boys should stop hanging your hat (so to speak) on previous glories and worry about the present and the exodus of talented youngsters from the club ... :thumbsu:

With the way things are looking at Merbein at the moment, maybe you boys should stop hanging your hat (so to speak) on previous glories and worry about the present and the exodus of talented youngsters from the club ... :thumbsu:

Well said!:thumbsu:

But the exodus of young talent from there has been going on for years! Young Rohan Malic for example! Why would you let a talented kid like him slip through without even puting up a descent fight.

Well said!:thumbsu:

But the exodus of young talent from there has been going on for years! Young Rohan Malic for example! Why would you let a talented kid like him slip through without even puting up a descent fight.

Many thing contribute to this I believe, 1, with VCE only being offered in town, 16-17-18 yo young punters making new friends, wanting to play in sucessful sides? 2, how long since Merbein under 13's or under 15's even played in the finals. 3. the 2 premiership sides came and went not a great example to young blokes at the club.

Least we have somewhere to hang the hat....Where about do you put yours, on the floor?????

Funny thing is Santoz, I am not a Merbein man, but I just don't see the point in bagging clubs at their lowest expecially when you aren't from a successful club......

Many thing contribute to this I believe, 1, with VCE only being offered in town, 16-17-18 yo young punters making new friends, wanting to play in sucessful sides? 2, how long since Merbein under 13's or under 15's even played in the finals. 3. the 2 premiership sides came and went not a great example to young blokes at the club.

Fair call, but again the exodus began a long time before the premierships.

I don't reckon Merbein have lost too many young players via kids going to the Senior College. Irymple Sec Col only goes to year 10 and they're doing ok on the junior side of things.

GeeBruz can you give me your best 10 blokes who played under age footy for Merbien not to go on and pay the club back? I help, number #1 Matthew Knights pretends he never played there!!

I'm not quite sure what your after or who you talk to but every time i see Matty, wether it be in mildura or melbourne, there is no doubt that he'll tell you he is from Merbein. It's not wether they payed them back or not , the fact is the club failed to look after it's juniors. I'll give you a list of players in recent times who have played juniors but have been burnt by the club in one way or another.

Scotty Phillips, Daniel Smith, Ashley Dannatt, Nigel Sylvia, Luke Gane and Joe Wright. These blokes were there when they struggled and have been through the hard times. Its just a shame that the club didn't look after these blokes. Only a small list but they all were talented juniors.

Funny thing is Santoz, I am not a Merbein man, but I just don't see the point in bagging clubs at their lowest expecially when you aren't from a successful club......

By bagging them, you are talking about me making a point of how some of their talented juniors are leaving because of they way they've been treated. As the club is struggling as you say, wouldn't it be smart to try and keep the better juniors they've got, not turn them away? A club that does this has every right to be bagged as far as I'm concerned. Why do you feel sorry for them if they're ladder position is their own doing?

Least we have somewhere to hang the hat....Where about do you put yours, on the floor?????

Yep, on the floor. How original. Very clever ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was another one of those blokes. Captained the U18s in 2002 and played reserves after every game. The seniors won the flag there that year. 2003 I had an interupted pre season and couldn't even get a game in the ressies! Not saying that I would of played seniors, but yeah. I'm at Bambill now, not paid, but enjoy it all the same.

I was another one of those blokes. Captained the U18s in 2002 and played reserves after every game. The seniors won the flag there that year. 2003 I had an interupted pre season and couldn't even get a game in the ressies! Not saying that I would of played seniors, but yeah. I'm at Bambill now, not paid, but enjoy it all the same.
so what are you trying to say??? all your've said is u were capt. played rezzies after that..were u expecting to play seniors or wat?

No never. It's the way they handled junior players. As a junior I watched the club give games to the young blokes for a couple of years. Then spent a whole lot of cash on back to back flags, where the only Merbein youngster to play in the flags was Colin Sylvia (straight from pioneers). Then everyone left and it was back to getting flogged and blooding the juniors again. I just didn't think it was a thing you'd see the Imperials or the Swallows doing. And they are strong sides with their juniors. Or am I just missing the whole point?

No never. It's the way they handled junior players. As a junior I watched the club give games to the young blokes for a couple of years. Then spent a whole lot of cash on back to back flags, where the only Merbein youngster to play in the flags was Colin Sylvia (straight from pioneers). Then everyone left and it was back to getting flogged and blooding the juniors again. I just didn't think it was a thing you'd see the Imperials or the Swallows doing. And they are strong sides with their juniors. Or am I just missing the whole point?

No you aren't missing the whole point, but Phil Matotek, Darren Sedgmen, Luke Gane, Jason Hunt, Simon McCarthy and Damien Spicer all came up through the ranks at Merbein the same as Col.

No you aren't missing the whole point, but Phil Matotek, Darren Sedgmen, Luke Gane, Jason Hunt, Simon McCarthy and Damien Spicer all came up through the ranks at Merbein the same as Col.

I think every sfl club suffers the same fate, 90% of players in the Milleawa must have played junior footy at one or another of the sfl clubs?? I think it comes down to how the club manages it.
Has Jason Hunt headed off to Bambill?
Did Merbein simply reappointment the coaches because of the dollar factor? or do they believe these is a way forward?

I heard woorinen were here on sunday and signed 3 Tigers including wethers, stephens but I forgot the third. They have a budget of $130,000 and are ringing any player in sunraysia who are unhappy with their current club.
This high profile recruit will be the one Irymple are offering a very large contract to. This shows how the point system in this league is not working.

Who is the high profile recruit Captain Tug Boat? And what contract have we offered? I think you might be getting taken for a ride......

Can anyone shed any light on the cricket match played out by the Mildura boys for training this week? I heard that Bower may have had his pants pulled down by 'the big quick'.:thumbsu:

I'm not quite sure what your after or who you talk to but every time i see Matty, wether it be in mildura or melbourne, there is no doubt that he'll tell you he is from Merbein. It's not wether they payed them back or not , the fact is the club failed to look after it's juniors. I'll give you a list of players in recent times who have played juniors but have been burnt by the club in one way or another.

Scotty Phillips, Daniel Smith, Ashley Dannatt, Nigel Sylvia, Luke Gane and Joe Wright. These blokes were there when they struggled and have been through the hard times. Its just a shame that the club didn't look after these blokes. Only a small list but they all were talented juniors.

Thats why they struggled, those players mentioned wouldnt even get a game in the Ressies at any other SFL club.:thumbsdown:

Who is the high profile recruit Captain Tug Boat? And what contract have we offered? I think you might be getting taken for a ride......

Can anyone shed any light on the cricket match played out by the Mildura boys for training this week? I heard that Bower may have had his pants pulled down by 'the big quick'.:thumbsu:

Shall you shed some light on the match or shall I Yabby? Loser ... :D

Imps signed a another big man during this week, 6'3 CHF/CHB, played in Div 1 amatures, over in adelaide. Can play apparntly and looks good at training!

Mate this is what i mean. If u had of played for more clubs you would understand what a good club merbein is to be at. The list of merbein players who are leaving or have left over the last 3 years all have one thing in common.
Because they were at merbein and stuck with them in the hard times they seem to think the club owe them something! Call it lack of success or sooking, its weak to give up and go to greener pastures. You must have struggled if u couldn't get a game in our twos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back