Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, can't imagine a proud Victorian or South Australian etc.. wanting to pull on a QLD jumper even if they play for the suns

I don't know why you can't just have a qld v nsw state game anyway. There are enough quality players from each state and they would be quite evenly matched. They actually did a thing a few years ago and both teams quality would be above that of the premiership teams when going off supercoach ratings. I'd also play S.A v W.A on the same weekend and Vic Metro v Vic Country. It would be good and show Australian football is the true national sport with decent quality state teams across the country. I bet a lot of people in NSW and QLD wouldn't even realise how many homegrown players there are in the AFL.

The qld team off the top of my head would include:
Dixon, Cameron, zorko, aliir, H.Andrews, tom green, chol etc

Nsw team would include:
Walker, Hawkins, mills, heeney, hopper, rampe, witts, cumming, himmelberg, bruest etc

You'd actually allow n.t players that have lived in QLD to nominate to play for QLD (May, Jeffrey) and ACT players that have lived in NSW (Steele, Bruce) to play for them which adds a little extra quality too.

Last edited:
Yes, can't imagine a proud Victorian or South Australian etc.. wanting to pull on a QLD jumper even if they play for the suns
and why should they.......if they were to do that......then it's not state of ORIGIN.......

Born and bred cane toad here, but can't even take the time now to watch any SOO r/l game, and haven't for quite a few years. Ever since they relaxed the rules and anyone can represent anyone....just not SOO to me.....just another game....and one, in my twilight years, that doesn't interest me....

State of Origin means origin.. origin meaning where you were born
I do enjoy rolling out the definition of the word "Origin" for Queenslanders during SOO time

Although I feel as though myself and Wittsy would be vastly outnumbered in this argument anyway :tearsofjoy:

How refugee Mabior Chol found his way in the AFL

I do enjoy rolling out the definition of the word "Origin" for Queenslanders during SOO time

Although I feel as though myself and Wittsy would be vastly outnumbered in this argument anyway :tearsofjoy:

I liked it......:thumbsu:

Is there a NSW mate to that vid? or is it only Qld who chose players from out of State. The only player that comes to mind for NSW was Peter Sterling, born in Toowoomba, but I'm sure there would be more...

The funny thing is New South Wales actually started the concept of choosing players from the wrong state/country. Steve Rogers, the father of Gold Coast great Mat Rogers, was born and raised on the Gold Coast and didn't live a day of his life outside of Queensland until 18 years of age but for some reason was selected to represent New South Wales in the inaugural State of Origin game in 1980. Then you had Toowoomba-born Peter Sterling representing New South Wales the following year in 1981 and later captained the Blues. Don't even get me started on what they did before 1980 when Queenslander greats like Arthur Beetson played for New South Wales, or perhaps more accurately played for the NSWRL. For this reason it's always amusing when New South Wales supporters comment on Queensland selecting players who were born elsewhere when they were the ones who popularised it :tearsofjoy: You still see it to this day with guys like Crichton getting picked to represent NSW even though he was born in Samoa and grew up in New Zealand.

If Origin ever came back to the AFL, Mabior Chol would obviously represent Queensland. Here he is donning the Maroon jumper as a junior:

r-b.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They win the ball back between the arcs more than any other team in the competition right now, that’s hard to believe,” he added.
“What Stuart Dew has been building quietly in the back blocks while everybody has been hunting to replace him, is a defensive model that over the last five weeks that is the best in the competition. The best in the competition,” he said on SEN’s Whateley.

“What does that look like? They’re the hardest team to move the ball (from) one end of the ground to the other against. You can’t move it because they’ve got interceptors.”

If you want to listen.

We may start to get more than a superficial overview now.

While I like that Buddas is getting attention, I can almost guarantee you that no-one in the media outside of David King probably knows who he even is and can recognise him. Brown just following the latest hype train.

Next week?
Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine are close to having new deals announced at Gold Coast, while Tim English has committed to the Western Bulldogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back