Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emotional for Lachie :(
Poor bloke. People can say what they like about Lachie and the trade we made, but he has been a big part of our culture shift I reckon.

And I think we will miss him on the field now too. A lot.

Very fast. Good ball user. Long, long kick. He gives us territory like no other player. And he knows how to hit the scoreboard from 50 out when we need it.

Huge hole for a player that has had a couple of outstanding games so far this year and has a lot more experience than some of the other players who could take his spot.

While I like that Buddas is getting attention, I can almost guarantee you that no-one in the media outside of David King probably knows who he even is and can recognise him. Brown just following the latest hype train.
Did king know who he was before this weeks game?
Doubt it.

When we drafted King Lukosius and Rankine in 2018 what would the "pundits odds" have been on re-signing the entire trio to at least 2024?
No one would've given odds on that. King to Saints to play with his brother and the other two going back to Adelaide after the first two years.
To be honest I can't believe it's a possibility with how bad we were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flog Kanetoad is back at it again...
He’s spot on, and just repeating what everyone else said at the time, including some Suns fans on here.

I get it, that this is your club, but you don’t have to defend every action by the club.

I’ve been critical (sometimes scathing) at times about moves my club has made.

GC has made a few trades that no other club could get away with, or even contemplate. And has rightly been criticised in the media for making such trades.

He’s spot on, and just repeating what everyone else said at the time, including some Suns fans on here.

I get it, that this is your club, but you don’t have to defend every action by the club.

GC has made a few trades that no other club could get away with, or even contemplate. And has rightly been criticised in the media for making such trades.
I would say not everyone. There were 2 sets of opinions. One obviously represented by Kane and the other one saying that it was good to get someone who was not another kid (we got plenty of kids at that time), wanted to join the club, was a good player already and could contribute immediately and help building the club culture. There was no guarantee that pick 2 would turn out a top player.

Personally, I was terribly disappointed at the time. Not now. We were lucky to also get Ballard as a result of trade. Weller is a cream when the team plays well. He was probably top 3 player in Darwin and if he can come close to that performance after ACL I will be more than satisfied.

As I understand Suns would probably draft LDU.

Last edited:
I would say not everyone. There were 2 sets of opinions. One obviously represented by Kane and the other saying that it was good to get someone who was not another kid (we got plenty of kids in that time), wanted to join the club, was a good player already and could contribute immediately and help building the club culture. There was no guarantee that pick 2 would turn out a top player.

Personally, I was terribly disappointed at the time. Not now. We were lucky to also get Ballard as a result of trade. Weller is a cream when team plays well. He was probably top 3 player in Darwin and if he can come close to that performance after ACL I will be more than satisfied.

As I understand Suns would probably draft LDU.
Looking back at Mock drafts LDU was always consesus pick 2, Brayshaw was around 5.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking back at Mock drafts LDU was always consesus pick 2, Brayshaw was around 5.

We had pick 1. There were only two players on our short list, Rayner and Brayshaw.

During the Draft Combine and player interviews, it got out to the media that Brayshaw was in contention at our pick, and became the story of the first day of the draft combine, and continued to be a story right up until the day before the draft.

We had pick 1. There were only two players on our short list, Rayner and Brayshaw.

During the Draft Combine and player interviews, it got out to the media that Brayshaw was in contention at our pick, and became the story of the first day of the draft combine, and continued to be a story right up until the day before the draft.
Yeah you were choosing between those 2. We had eyes for LDU and Carlton always had eyes for Dow. Brayshaw was between the 4th and 5th pick with Cerra.

Kane's obviously only considering the onfield of Weller vs. Brayshaw.

Which obviously, is a very important consideration.

BUT he is clearly neglecting other considerations as part of the trade. This was basically the first step in a complete overhaul of the mindset and the future of the club.

I don't think any suns fan will be too disappointed if this results in making finals within 5 years with a young and up and coming list.

I don't recall any of the talk or the situation at the time.
You would have hoped we could have split pick 2 for 2 lower picks.

Get Weller and a later first rounder, giving up a pick around 10 for Weller.
Plenty of good players around that range could have been had.

It was very controversial on here, but there was at least some support for doing the deal Given The Position We Were In.

Probably the low point of any club since Fitzroy, with nothing to look forward to but high draft picks year every year. And then hoping beyond hope that we would get the club into good enough shape that we could draft (with top 3 pick after top 3 pick) some players that would want to stay.

To top it off we were getting the whole 'shut them down' spiel every 2nd week. Let me be very clear here. That shut down shit cuts you to the bone of your support for a club.

The Bone.

Anyone saying the same about Nth Melbourne can shove it where the sun don't shine. If your club has not been in the same position you have no idea.

Personally that was my second time through a true crisis at a football club where your very existence is questioned. As a Fitzroy member at the time of the takeover that still gets me annoyed and the Bears can go and get stuffed for taking all the good bits of the Lions. But it can happen b/c it has happened.

On the trade, I was personally disappointed that we and the Weller camp kept giving Freo more leverage, and kudos to Freo for using all the considerable leverage they had. Really poorly handled by us and by Weller and we deserved the criticism for how it was done.

But I would not trade where we are now for some hypothetical from 5 years ago.

It was very controversial on here, but there was at least some support for doing the deal Given The Position We Were In.

Probably the low point of any club since Fitzroy, with nothing to look forward to but high draft picks year every year. And then hoping beyond hope that we would get the club into good enough shape that we could draft (with top 3 pick after top 3 pick) some players that would want to stay.

To top it off we were getting the whole 'shut them down' spiel every 2nd week. Let me be very clear here. That shut down shit cuts you to the bone of your support for a club.

The Bone.

Anyone saying the same about Nth Melbourne can shove it where the sun don't shine. If your club has not been in the same position you have no idea.

Personally that was my second time through a true crisis at a football club where your very existence is questioned. As a Fitzroy member at the time of the takeover that still gets me annoyed and the Bears can go and get stuffed for taking all the good bits of the Lions. But it can happen b/c it has happened.

On the trade, I was personally disappointed that we and the Weller camp kept giving Freo more leverage, and kudos to Freo for using all the considerable leverage they had. Really poorly handled by us and by Weller and we deserved the criticism for how it was done.

But I would not trade where we are now for some hypothetical from 5 years ago.
Yeah, a good point about Weller publicly stating that Suns guaranteed him that the trade would be done. Really dumb from the club point of view. Suns were done after that.

I think the 2017 draft was quite important for the suns, pick 19 we took Wil Powell and 42 Charlie Ballard, 2 player very instrumental for our culture change. 2017-2019 was just a massive shift for the club, now it almost feels like a completely different club.

This trade on paper was a failure and the suns knew this otherwise they wouldn't have sacked Scott Clayton.

Comparing 2 players though who play different positions in completely different systems is absurd. It's like comparing Max King to Sam Walsh or Logan MacDonald to Will Phillips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back