Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We move on but if you don't learn from history you are destined to repeat it.

We learned enough about Scott Clayton so we didn't have to repeat that disaster going forward.

Spot on. The reason why Clayton looked so ducked when he made the deal was probably not giving up pick 2, as Evans probably said that he had to, but that he had already cooked himself with that terrible Eagles trade that he thought would achieve the Weller trade on its own but he severely miscalculated.
Agree we need to learn from it, I’m just being careful not to be too negative as some perceive me to be.

I’m not sure we have learned the lesson completely as the Brodie, Scrimshaw and 2MP pickles the club created for themselves are all very poor deals. 3 top 10 picks and an end of first rounder for some magic beans is nightmarish stuff In terms of our perceived professionalism within the industry

I've always been impressed with Ballards intercepting, good to see him getting some much deserved recognition. It only took until he was leading the stats to get it :rolleyes:

Gold Coast Suns AFL: Nick Holman opens up about mother’s tragic death before 2022 season​

Holman said he had never truly appreciated the level of support a footy club provided until he leant on the Suns and his teammates.

“You probably take it for granted a little when you haven’t had a tragedy. I’ve found myself relying a lot on my friends … the club is the same, you don’t understand the support you have or the connection the club has until you go through hardship.”
“I’m enjoying the youth that Maly (Rosas Jr), Ranks (Rankine) and Joel Jeffrey bring in. Sometimes I just sit back and watch and think how lucky I am to play with these guys,” he said.

“We’re really starting to connect. It’s something we’ve been working on all year.”

I've always been impressed with Ballards intercepting, good to see him getting some much deserved recognition. It only took until he was leading the stats to get it :rolleyes:
I think over the last 6 months or so they have had a few comments from guys like Leigh Montagna on special comments during games
"It's an underrated combination Collins / Ballard"
"They're really solid"

etc..

SACKED podcast: Tony Cochrane on Stuart Dew future, Tasmanian AFL team​

“One thing that I can truly observe with football clubs is if you‘ve got a whole group of players who love the coach, things are pretty good.

“Stuey has gone about learning his trade but the outstanding thing for me is the camaraderie and the respect and loyalty he‘s built up in the playing group has been absolutely outstanding. And he’s really involved. He has a real commitment. And I think that’s starting to bear fruit all over the park now.

“And, you know, we’re a hard team to play against now. Two or three years ago, you could shoot peas through us so he’s done a very, very good job. I’m a Stuart Dew fan.”

SACKED podcast: Tony Cochrane on Stuart Dew future, Tasmanian AFL team​

Just on camaraderie respect and loyalty he built, one of the hosts on sen yesterday afternoon said he’s been walking Lachie Weller’s dog for him since doing his acl

That’s invaluable to culture building if true

Just on camaraderie respect and loyalty he built, one of the hosts on sen yesterday afternoon said he’s been walking Lachie Weller’s dog for him since doing his acl

That’s invaluable to culture building if true
Hmm, I bet there is a bakery on that route

Gold Coast Suns co-captain Touk Miller (20.6.22)

SEN BREAKFAST

Gold Coast co-captain Touk Miller joined Garry and Bucks to talk about the Suns' recent run of good form, the improvement from players like Izak Rankine and Ben Ainsworth, Will Powell's gruesome injury, and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TONY COCHRANE on Sportsday SA (22.06.22)

SPORTSDAY SA

Gold Coast Suns Chairman, Tony Cochrane joined Malcolm Blight & David Wildy. Dicussing, Stuart Dew's future at the club, rumours around Alistair Clarkson, Gold Coast becoming a 'destination club', Jack Lukosius' future, the possibility of a 19th team, and plenty more.

Yeah get rid of all the concessions going forward, they where over the top to begin with imo.
We need to stand on our own two feet and we have the talent for that now.
Would you have said that 6 weeks ago when we were 2-5 and were on a 3 game losing streak? I think the AFL should at least wait a few more weeks to see if we've actually turned a corner in terms of being competitive in the second half of the season. It's too early to be discussing this IMO.

If we make the finals this year then by all means take the concessions away as we clearly don't need them anymore.

Would you have said that 6 weeks ago when we were 2-5 and were on a 3 game losing streak? I think the AFL should at least wait a few more weeks to see if we've actually turned a corner in terms of being competitive in the second half of the season. It's too early to be discussing this IMO.

If we make the finals this year then by all means take the concessions away as we clearly don't need them anymore.
Yes, I've always thought they where over the top.

Working on their upper bodies in rehab. What a difference compared to draft year.
289178984_10158828375185509_7132665151970327910_n.jpg

Yes, I've always thought they where over the top.
It's probably a good time to assess the 2019 assistance package considering it looks like we're at the other end of it now and there's genuine talk about it being removed. So this is what we got at the end of 2019:
  • Pick 2, 2019 (Noah Anderson)
  • Mid first round pick, 2020 (traded in 2019 for pick 27 - Jeremy Sharp)
  • End of first round pick, 2021 (packaged with Brodie salary dump to secure 2022 second and fourth rounders)
  • Ability to pre-list academy players and addition of the Darwin region to academy zone (2019 - Connor Budarick, Malcolm Rosas [Darwin], Matt Conroy, Patrick Murtagh; 2020 - Alex Davies, Joel Jeffrey [Darwin], Aiden Fyfe, Rhys Nicholls; 2021 - Bohdi Uwland, Sandy Brock [Darwin])
I don't think anyone would argue with our priority pick in 2019 that netted us Noah Anderson. The club was at a low point then and in desperate need of an injection of talent youth. The other two picks were traded and we managed to turn one into Jeremy Sharp which looks like a good pick up but I think that's really more of an indication of us identifying talent as opposed to being given talent because every club had their chance to recruit Sharp but all chose to let him slide to pick 27. Who knows what the third pick turns into later this year but I don't think it's going to be anything significant if you look at it in isolation.

The academy players we were able to recruit looks great on paper but it's important to remember we were always going to secure the Queensland anyway so it's really just the NT boys that should be looked at - Rosas, Jeffrey and Brock. It's also important to point out that Jeffrey was the only one of those three that was highly rated going into the draft. Now I could see how someone would argue that giving us pre-listing access to the Darwin boys was going too far and I think the AFL will adjust that by removing our ability to pre-list academy players later this year to keep clubs down south happy. Other than that, I think the concessions were about right when you consider where we were as a club at the end of 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back