Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why top Suns draft pick Jack Scrimshaw hasn’t been sighted at AFL level in 2018

Certainly his ability to read the play and intercept along with his capacity to use the ball really smartly by hand and foot are certainly his strengths.

“It’s not an unusual phase for an emerging 19-year-old to go through. We are really confident he will get there.

“He just needs to keep working at it and our coaches need to keep working with him which they will.”

Sounds like exactly what we need.
Someone who can use the ball well..

David Swallow says he is open to re-signing with Gold Coast Suns before the end of 2018
Tom Boswell, @TomBoswellGCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
August 13, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only
SUNS midfielder David Swallow has pledged his loyalty to Gold Coast, declaring he is open to re-signing with the club before the end of 2018.

It’s a massive show of faith to a club rocked by news captain Tom Lynch wants to leave amid another disastrous season for the Suns.

Gold Coast football manager Jon Haines said he was eager to put offers in front of both skipper Steven May and Swallow before next year when both are due to become free agents.

The Suns inaugural no. 1 draft pick and foundation player said he was open to speaking with the club about recommitting a season before he comes out of contract.

“Absolutely,” Swallow said.

SUNS FANS HAVE THEIR SAY

WHY TOP SUNS DRAFT PICK IS UNSIGHTED AT AFL LEVEL

FEARS FOR FUTURE OF GOLD COAST RACING

SCOTTISH JOCKEY HITS COAST

“I love the Gold Coast and I really want to stick around and find success with the Suns.

“We will finish off playing this year and then I’ll speak to the club at the end of the season.”

Swallow has been linked to a move back to his home state of Western Australia, something that has been speculated about numerous times throughout his eight years at Gold Coast but the 25-year-old laughed off the recent reports.

“That is the nature of the game,” Swallow said.

fb504d7797a3ebed7822c9f00673f9e2

Gold Coast Suns midfielder David Swallow says he is open to speaking to the club about re-signing before the end of 2018. Picture: Jerad Williams.
“There is always speculation, especially because I’m a Perth boy. It’s been there my whole career.”

Swallow is content with life in Queensland. His partner Georgia Homer operates her own business on the Gold Coast and the two welcomed their first child, son Charlie, earlier this year.

Swallow’s brother and former North Melbourne player Andrew also moved to Byron Bay this year and plays for NEAFL club Aspley.

Gold Coast sit second last on the ladder and are coming off a 19.11 (125) to 7.9 (51) loss to reigning premiers Richmond at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

b3c8f3ae6fb4ff781d59a5ad9d16d283

David Swallow (centre) of the Suns has his kick smothered during the Round 21 AFL match between the Gold Coast Suns and the Richmond Tigers at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast, Saturday, August 11, 2018. Picture: AAP Image, Darren England.
Swallow said the Tigers simply taught the Suns a lesson in football.

“They taught us a lesson all over the ground, especially as a midfield group in terms of what is required with work rate,” Swallow said.

“The get that first hand experience when you play against them, I’m sure we are going to be better for it. We will learn a lot from that game.

“They’re a great side and premiers for a reason. We just have to hang in there for longer in games.”

David Swallow says he is open to re-signing with Gold Coast Suns before the end of 2018
Subscriber only
SUNS midfielder David Swallow has pledged his loyalty to Gold Coast, declaring he is open to re-signing with the club before the end of 2018.

It’s a massive show of faith to a club rocked by news captain Tom Lynch wants to leave amid another disastrous season for the Suns.

Gold Coast football manager Jon Haines said he was eager to put offers in front of both skipper Steven May and Swallow before next year when both are due to become free agents.

The Suns inaugural no. 1 draft pick and foundation player said he was open to speaking with the club about recommitting a season before he comes out of contract.

SUNS FANS HAVE THEIR SAY

“I love the Gold Coast and I really want to stick around and find success with the Suns.

“We will finish off playing this year and then I’ll speak to the club at the end of the season.”

Swallow has been linked to a move back to his home state of Western Australia, something that has been speculated about numerous times throughout his eight years at Gold Coast but the 25-year-old laughed off the recent reports.

Gold Coast Suns midfielder David Swallow says he is open to speaking to the club about re-signing before the end of 2018. Picture: Jerad Williams.
“There is always speculation, especially because I’m a Perth boy. It’s been there my whole career.”

Swallow is content with life in Queensland. His partner Georgia Homer operates her own business on the Gold Coast and the two welcomed their first child, son Charlie, earlier this year.

Swallow’s brother and former North Melbourne player Andrew also moved to Byron Bay this year and plays for NEAFL club Aspley.

Gold Coast sit second last on the ladder and are coming off a 19.11 (125) to 7.9 (51) loss to reigning premiers Richmond at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

David Swallow (centre) of the Suns has his kick smothered during the Round 21 AFL match between the Gold Coast Suns and the Richmond Tigers at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast, Saturday, August 11, 2018. Picture: AAP Image, Darren England.

“They taught us a lesson all over the ground, especially as a midfield group in terms of what is required with work rate,” Swallow said.

“The get that first hand experience when you play against them, I’m sure we are going to be better for it. We will learn a lot from that game.

“They’re a great side and premiers for a reason. We just have to hang in there for longer in games.”

Thank you.. better than an article from the self congratulater Newcastlefalcon

AFL
Josh Schoenfeld says Suns working hard to convince top draft prospect Bailey Scott Gold Coast are worth playing for
August 12, 2018 10:00pm
Subscriber only
SUNS midfielder Josh Schoenfeld says the team is working hard behind the scenes to convince the club’s best draft prospect Gold Coast are worth playing for.

Gold Coast academy player Bailey Scott has an enormous decision to make in the coming months.

Scott, the son of former North Melbourne and Geelong player Robert, is being chased by all three clubs he is linked to and will have the luxury of deciding which one he wants to begin his AFL career at.

The 18-year-old collected 20 possessions in Gold Coast’s 20.9 (129) to 9.5 (59) loss to GWS in Round 19 of the NEAFL at Metricon Stadium on Saturday.

It was Scott’s third NEAFL game after spending most of the year playing for the Suns academy or with the Allies team in the under-18 national championships.

Schoenfeld said Scott was as good any of the Suns academy players he had seen come through, including Jack Bowes who has become a regular in Gold Coast’s best 22 since being drafted in 2016.

The winger said the team was doing everything it could to help Scott feel at home at the club.

“He is really good,” Schoenfeld said.

“He is very confident for his age and he is a natural leader. He has great attributes with his running and skill base.

“Hopefully he picks us and we can get him at the end of this year.

“We have to make sure those academy boys feel included in the team. We give him a licence to play his game and encourage him to do his best.

“He is definitely up there with Bowes and a few other boys to have come through. He plays more outside at this stage but he has some pace and his run is very good.”

Gold Coast’s 70-point loss to the Giants has all but dashed their hopes of a spot in the NEAFL finals completely.

The Suns took five AFL listed players into the game and trailed from the outset.

The win puts GWS into equal sixth on the ladder and while the Suns mathematically can still make the finals, it will be a mammoth effort considering they have a lower winning percentage and play Brisbane and Sydney in the final two weeks of the regular round.

“We are still a chance but it’s going to be very hard,” Schoenfeld said.

“We need to win the last two games and rely on a few teams losing so it’s a kick in the guts but either way we are going to fight to the end.

Schoenfeld produced his best NEAFL performance of his three-year career at the Suns, gathering 41 possessions.

“I didn’t realise I had that many touches but I was just working hard for the team and trying to do my best to get us over the line,” Schoenfeld said.

“It was probably my best game in the NEAFL so it’s good I can consistently have a good impact in the reserves.

“It’s shown my development over the year and I think I have taken a big step forward.”

Meanwhile, Southport remain on the cusp of finishing the regular on the top of the ladder or out of finals contention following a 11.13 (79) to 8.8 (56) loss to Aspley on Saturday.

The Sharks hold first on percentage but five of the top six are all on equal points while Brisbane are six points behind going into the final two rounds

Subscriber only

SUNS FANS HAVE THEIR SAY

How good is Dave , we have been a terrible team that hasn’t given him a lot but wants to be a one team player , surprised at the lack of responses to this article as a lot on this board ark up about lack of loyalty but we have a lad here who wants his career here , is a proud sun , a bloody good player who has had troubles with his knee , loves the city , can you ask for anymore ?? Not sure if he is captaincy material like his brother if May does the bolt but gee you can’t ask for a better character for our younger players than Dave.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is Dave , we have been a terrible team that hasn’t given him a lot but wants to be a one team player , surprised at the lack of responses to this article as a lot on this board ark up about lack of loyalty but we have a lad here who wants his career here , is a proud sun , a bloody good player who has had troubles with his knee , loves the city , can you ask for anymore ?? Not sure if he is captaincy material like his brother if May does the bolt but gee you can’t ask for a better character for our younger players than Dave.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don’t think there’s any lack of love, just that Spitta’s been talked about a lot lately. Makes you wonder how much these journos are plagiarizing our ideas.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

David Swallow probably is captaincy material, but may already have enough on his plate, with the extra effort he needs to get his body right to play each week, as well as having a young child. Whether it is official or not, he'll always be a leader due to the example he sets. I was very impressed when he arranged for the Suns' players to go searching for a lost child a year or so back.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...n/news-story/7c0380f11c758c4309347310e37e61f3

Gold Coast Suns won’t be chasing big-name player at the end of the 2018 AFL season
37 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE Suns won’t chase a big fish at season’s end as they look to rebuild their list without splurging on a marquee player the way the club did with Gary Ablett.

Tom Lynch’s likely exit means Gold Coast have around an extra $1 million per season free in their salary cap.

Inaugural Suns captain Ablett arrived at Gold Coast on a massive deal, worth over $1 million per season, and the club have the power to try to lure another elite player.

Whether the club could convince one to come to Queensland is another matter.

I WANT TO STAY AT THE SUNS: SWALLOW

SUNS WORKING HARD TO LURE TOP DRAFT PROSPECT

EX-SUNS PLAYER SET FOR GOLD COAST RETURN

Suns football manager Jon Haines said it wasn’t on the Suns agenda, revealing their intent to rebuild through the draft while adding mature-age players to help the young list develop under senior coach Stuart Dew.

“I don’t think we would be in the market (for a big-name player) at this stage,” Haines said.

“We are taking a really strategic look at both our TPP (Total Player Payment) position and also what is the best way to build the list.

“We will looking at predominantly going to have a really good hand in the draft in the early stage of the first round in what looks like a really strong draft.

9ec88b1f27411b128561eca6fcba6caf

Suns players run through the banner before the Round 21 AFL match between the Gold Coast Suns and the Richmond Tigers at Metricon Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Darren England.
“We will be looking to rebuild through the draft but we are also looking to complement where we can with some mature-age players who bring really specific attributes.

“Those attributes are around how to live an elite lifestyle, good characters, good leadership capability, really strong influences and role models who can help our younger players over this coming period.

“I don’t think in terms of where we are as a football club and where our list is at, how responsible it would be to spend that money on a particular player.

“That’s not to say that in a few years time that changes, which it certainly would.”

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...n/news-story/7c0380f11c758c4309347310e37e61f3

Gold Coast Suns won’t be chasing big-name player at the end of the 2018 AFL season
37 minutes ago
Subscriber only
THE Suns won’t chase a big fish at season’s end as they look to rebuild their list without splurging on a marquee player the way the club did with Gary Ablett.

Tom Lynch’s likely exit means Gold Coast have around an extra $1 million per season free in their salary cap.

Inaugural Suns captain Ablett arrived at Gold Coast on a massive deal, worth over $1 million per season, and the club have the power to try to lure another elite player.

Whether the club could convince one to come to Queensland is another matter.

I WANT TO STAY AT THE SUNS: SWALLOW

SUNS WORKING HARD TO LURE TOP DRAFT PROSPECT

EX-SUNS PLAYER SET FOR GOLD COAST RETURN

Suns football manager Jon Haines said it wasn’t on the Suns agenda, revealing their intent to rebuild through the draft while adding mature-age players to help the young list develop under senior coach Stuart Dew.

“I don’t think we would be in the market (for a big-name player) at this stage,” Haines said.

“We are taking a really strategic look at both our TPP (Total Player Payment) position and also what is the best way to build the list.

“We will looking at predominantly going to have a really good hand in the draft in the early stage of the first round in what looks like a really strong draft.

9ec88b1f27411b128561eca6fcba6caf

Suns players run through the banner before the Round 21 AFL match between the Gold Coast Suns and the Richmond Tigers at Metricon Stadium. Picture: AAP Image/Darren England.
“We will be looking to rebuild through the draft but we are also looking to complement where we can with some mature-age players who bring really specific attributes.

“Those attributes are around how to live an elite lifestyle, good characters, good leadership capability, really strong influences and role models who can help our younger players over this coming period.

“I don’t think in terms of where we are as a football club and where our list is at, how responsible it would be to spend that money on a particular player.

“That’s not to say that in a few years time that changes, which it certainly would.”
Good to see there is a plan in place. In the past it certainly seemed like they were making up as they went. With no Ablett or lynch next year there won’t be a ‘star factor’ each week

It is the right way to go. Get some good seasoned professionals in there. Build up with the kids that want to be there. Bring in some of the Tigers that can't get a game (Lloyd, Miles, Townsend) bring some of that A+ professionalism into the team.

It is the right way to go. Get some good seasoned professionals in there. Build up with the kids that want to be there.
Unfortunately it also means i dont think we are moving up the ladder anytime soon. Probably aim for finals in 3 years or so because we are a long way off now.

Unfortunately it also means i dont think we are moving up the ladder anytime soon. Probably aim for finals in 3 years or so because we are a long way off now.
I can cop it a bit more if the club are honest and transparent about it and where we are at as a footy club. It is a clean slate with the new backroom staff, time to build the club we were supposed to build 8 years ago. But instead of starting with 18 year olds, we are starting with 20 year olds which is very different which should help slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back