Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

You blokes are probably correct in how it looks right now.....but he's spot on....

The Comp is locked into the MCG for the GF for the next 33 years it seems.....and I agree that at the present time the MCG is the only stadium that can hold the numbers, so that's where it should be played.....but what if another stadium,outside of Melb is upgraded to hold 90-100k say in the next 10 yrs.....too bad......the deal has been done, and Melb it is.

Now, Essendon play their next 9 straight in Melb.........I understand about the 10 teams there and all that, but 9 straight.....c'mon!

Carlton play 7 out of 9......C'wood 6 out of 8

The Suns play 4 at home, Syd 4 and Freo 5..........and of the 5 away games Suns play.....2 are in Perth.......and Essendon, whose home ground is the MCG, don't leave Melb.......

I don't know if what he proposes is the answer..........but for gawd's sake, something needs to be done, and I'd really like to see it happen before I'm no longer able to see it happen......

Memory's not as good as it once was, but I seem to recall in Brisbane's glory days 2001-3, they won the right for a home qual final, and they were made to play it away....(someone correct me if I've got that wrong)

However, I really think we're flogging a dead horse, as the VFL always comes out ahead....

To me, this sounds like a crazy clap back at the reduction in academy. Evans is aiming high and hoping a compromise leads to some change in fixture, travel etc. to compensate the loss.

His ideas are pretty radical and won’t have any traction… but I think he is just sparking debate.

Maybe every team outside of VIC should get one more home game if the fixture allows it. Each state has a derby round already, but Melbourne teams have a “derby” every 3rd week at worst. Would even up some travel.

Because it’s the deluded people who don’t acknowledge things like the Bombers essentially won’t leave Melbourne again this year that grind my gears!

But, for the record, I think we have to cop the travel. It is what it is. There are just more Melb teams. But as long as people aren’t pretending all things are equal with travel and the fixture and can acknowledge the inherent unfairness of the GF in Melb and the advantages to VIC teams, I’ll manage.

You blokes are probably correct in how it looks right now.....but he's spot on....

The Comp is locked into the MCG for the GF for the next 33 years it seems.....and I agree that at the present time the MCG is the only stadium that can hold the numbers, so that's where it should be played.....but what if another stadium,outside of Melb is upgraded to hold 90-100k say in the next 10 yrs.....too bad......the deal has been done, and Melb it is.

Now, Essendon play their next 9 straight in Melb.........I understand about the 10 teams there and all that, but 9 straight.....c'mon!

Carlton play 7 out of 9......C'wood 6 out of 8

The Suns play 4 at home, Syd 4 and Freo 5..........and of the 5 away games Suns play.....2 are in Perth.......and Essendon, whose home ground is the MCG, don't leave Melb.......

I don't know if what he proposes is the answer..........but for gawd's sake, something needs to be done, and I'd really like to see it happen before I'm no longer able to see it happen......

Memory's not as good as it once was, but I seem to recall in Brisbane's glory days 2001-3, they won the right for a home qual final, and they were made to play it away....(someone correct me if I've got that wrong)

However, I really think we're flogging a dead horse, as the VFL always comes out ahead....

It is 10 straight for the Bombers in Melbourne (they had one before the bye).

However, the home ground for the Bombers is Marvel, they just play most of their big games at the MCG including the games against the other big Melbourne clubs.

The Lions had to play a 'home' prelim in 2004 at the MCG b/c of a contract that was then changed the next year. The contract was that the MCG had to host a final in "every week" of the finals.
What really screwed the Lions was that Port finished on top and were given the Friday night prelim at home. So the Lions had to travel for a Saturday night 'home' prelim while Port watched on from home.

I am fine with Evans pointing out the travel issues b/c it is an issue every year. The AFL makes more money if the big Melbourne clubs play most of their games at the MCG. The fact that this is a competitive advantage is usually well down the list.

But this year it is in the spotlight b/c of the competitive balance review so make sure it is well in the spotlight.

PS. When talking to a Pies fan (sorry Jen), make sure to point out that their flags in 2010 and 2023 are not worth as much as others b/c of all the advantages they get. That Eagles flag in 2018 is worth twice as much, easily.

To me, this sounds like a crazy clap back at the reduction in academy. Evans is aiming high and hoping a compromise leads to some change in fixture, travel etc. to compensate the loss.

His ideas are pretty radical and won’t have any traction… but I think he is just sparking debate.

Maybe every team outside of VIC should get one more home game if the fixture allows it. Each state has a derby round already, but Melbourne teams have a “derby” every 3rd week at worst. Would even up some travel.

Because it’s the deluded people who don’t acknowledge things like the Bombers essentially won’t leave Melbourne again this year that grind my gears!

But, for the record, I think we have to cop the travel. It is what it is. There are just more Melb teams. But as long as people aren’t pretending all things are equal with travel and the fixture and can acknowledge the inherent unfairness of the GF in Melb and the advantages to VIC teams, I’ll manage.
Reckon you're spot on here. He knows what's coming in terms of academy bidding, so is looking to gain a bit of ground through compromise.

It is 10 straight for the Bombers in Melbourne (they had one before the bye).

However, the home ground for the Bombers is Marvel, they just play most of their big games at the MCG including the games against the other big Melbourne clubs.

The Lions had to play a 'home' prelim in 2004 at the MCG b/c of a contract that was then changed the next year. The contract was that the MCG had to host a final in "every week" of the finals.
What really screwed the Lions was that Port finished on top and were given the Friday night prelim at home. So the Lions had to travel for a Saturday night 'home' prelim while Port watched on from home.

I am fine with Evans pointing out the travel issues b/c it is an issue every year. The AFL makes more money if the big Melbourne clubs play most of their games at the MCG. The fact that this is a competitive advantage is usually well down the list.

But this year it is in the spotlight b/c of the competitive balance review so make sure it is well in the spotlight.

PS. When talking to a Pies fan (sorry Jen), make sure to point out that their flags in 2010 and 2023 are not worth as much as others b/c of all the advantages they get. That Eagles flag in 2018 is worth twice as much, easily.
Thanks.....you have a much better grasp of it than I.....:thumbsu:

When measuring Expected score vs actual score, @crow_data_sci ranked AFL players on shooting accuracy (min. 15 shots)

Best Shooting Accuracy

Worst Shooting Accuracy

Ben Long ranked 15th best, and Ben King ranked 21st. No other players in the top 50. Nick Holman ranked 10th worst, and Jed Walter ranked 15th worst. Jack Lukosius and Bailey Humphrey weren't doing too well, either.

Gold Coast Suns co-captain Touk Miller on Dwayne's World - Friday 28th June
Gold Coast Suns co-captain Touk Miller speaks to Dwayne ahead of Saturday's huge clash with Collingwood

The annoying thing about this interview is Dwayne bashes the Suns almost every day on his show and then when he gets someone on he can ask the tough questions he licks their arce he used to do the same with Stuart dew

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast Suns co-captain Touk Miller on Dwayne's World - Friday 28th June
Gold Coast Suns co-captain Touk Miller speaks to Dwayne ahead of Saturday's huge clash with Collingwood

The annoying thing about this interview is Dwayne bashes the Suns almost every day on his show and then when he gets someone on he can ask the tough questions he licks their arce he used to do the same with Stuart dew

He wasn’t that flash when he spoke to Bodhi after his rising star nomination. Spoke about how someone kicked some goals on him and then went on to talk about someone else turning him inside out.

How Gold Coast Suns fans are finding their voice and drowning out Pies supporters​

Gold Coast Suns are calling it a “magic night” - where they beat premiers Collingwood on and off the field, at Carrara’s People First Stadium.

In front of a sell-out crowd, the Suns faced a Collingwood comeback in the final minutes but kicked on to win 101-90 on Saturday and keep their season’s home ground 8-0 win record along with finals chances intact.

Suns chairman Bob East knows the win was not just on the turf but in the stands where the Magpies - with the huge travelling fan base and love of the tourist strip - tend to dominate in numbers.

“The atmosphere was magic. The crowd build in the weeks leading up to it was very quick,” Mr East said.

“All of our hospitality and all the suites and corporate areas were full weeks ahead of the game. It was really hard to get tickets, It’s excellent for the team, the club and an excellent night for the fans.”

Mr East knows the television coverage can give a skewed view with its focus on the opposition supporter base in the western stand.

“The cameras be deceiving, they face the western stand. You find mostly the others there,” he said, referring to the opposition team supporter base.

“We think we had the dominant share of the crowd, and we certainly had the vocal majority, they were full of voice.”

Fans across southeast Queensland were scrambling to buy tickets last week.

“That’s our third sell-out game for the season. Any of the blockbuster games, which is typically your larger Melbourne based teams, they’re a hot ticket,” Mr East said.

He agrees that the Suns-Collingwood clash given the rivalry and atmosphere is becoming one of the Coast’s premium annual sports clashes.

“We never know from year to year what the draw will be but I think it’s safe to say we will have a Collingwood each year. And we know our fans love it,” Mr East said.

“We also know Collingwood fans really looked forward to coming up to the Coast.”

Interesting comments from Bob East. I get that the camera view of the western stand can be deceiving, but I don't know if I agree that the majority of attendees last night were Suns supporters. Altough I do think Suns fans in attendance last night were loud. I'll give him that. The same can be said about Suns fans at the Essendon game. We're starting to become a very loud supporter base at home and it's a beautiful thing to see. No doubt it helps when it comes to umpiring calls and spurring on our players to win games.

Interesting comments from Bob East. I get that the camera view of the western stand can be deceiving, but I don't know if I agree that the majority of attendees last night were Suns supporters. Altough I do think Suns fans in attendance last night were loud. I'll give him that. The same can be said about Suns fans at the Essendon game. We're starting to become a very loud supporter base at home and it's a beautiful thing to see. No doubt it helps when it comes to umpiring calls and spurring on our players to win games.
As Dimma said in his press conference: if you build it, they will come.

Suns play well at home this season. The crowd are happy to see them play here. Big clubs also bring the extra tickets.

Seemed like the interchange side was mostly Suns fans. Then a splattering elsewhere, before turning into a mostly sea of black and white on telecast side.

But the noise from both fanbases was unreal. Kicking goals brings energy and noise. Even more so when things get close 4th quarter was thunderous from Collingwood as they stormed on and the monstrous when Long scored, bigger still when Ainsworth kicked one.

Definitely up there for atmosphere.

Keep winning and fans will be rocking up, while neutral supporters might part with there money to go.

I was there and have to say Bob is dreaming about dominant share of crowd. Also, I am pretty sure it's Eastern stand.

I was there and have to say Bob is dreaming about dominant share of crowd. Also, I am pretty sure it's Eastern stand.
I was there too and there's no way we had the dominant share of the crowd. You're also right about it being the eastern stand that the main camera faces.

For mine, I was more impressed with the noise our fans were making. It felt just as loud as any Collingwood goal when Long gave us the lead back late in the fourth quarter and once again when Ainsworth sealed the win a minute later. I had the same thought about the noise our fans were making after goals in the Essendon game a few weeks back.

If we could get that kind of noise from our fans every week then we would be a very difficult team for anyone to beat when they travel to the GC. I'm really curious to see what kind of crowd figure shows up for the Port Adelaide game in a fortnight from now because we know Port typically draw a smaller crowd on the Gold Coast. Anything close to 20k would be a phenomenal result and then we really would have the majority in a fairly large crowd.

If you're on the members side in the President's room you'd be looking sown on a sea of Suns supporters.I had a pretty close look and Suns support stretched well beyond the Nerang Broadbeach goals and then became pretty dominantly Collingwood from the outer wing onwards
I'd say 60:40 Collingwood.

Saying Suns had a majority crowd is a flat out lie or he got into Dimmas stash

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Saying Suns had a majority crowd is a flat out lie or he got into Dimmas stash
Agreed, but perception is reality in certain situations. It's not really something that can actually be proven or disproven so Bob East probably thought this was a great opportunity to put out a narrative that will give an impression to the locals that this is something they want to be a part of going forward. Fake it til you make it mentality.

If only other clubs had like 3 years to pick Sam up. This agenda from down south is getting a bit ridiculous.

Cry more VFL media!

Imagine the tears when we win a flag, they won’t be able to handle our success.

Sad Eric Cartman GIF by South Park

I’m delighted and proud to announce that, off the back of all the hard work this season and the incredible support from the Gold Coast, we have officially passed last year’s record membership tally of 23,359.

We will set a new benchmark this season, and with two months to go in our membership window we’re chasing 25,000 members for the first time in club history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back